Author Topic: Do you miss orange light?  (Read 6653 times)
Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Do you miss orange light? « Reply #15 on: February 04, 2017, 05:46:43 AM » Author: Ash
Not everywhere correct color rendering is required. For many applications color light is acceptable (color not necessarily be Orange). The light is visibly color light with pretty much single band in the spectrum, and the appearance of the light does not raise expectations to render colors under it. (and if there is no color data in the scene because of the light source, no amount of playing with White balance is going to recover it anyway)

Then, when you walk to a place where the light is full spectrum White, you appreciate the change and the better appearance

To walk between places and appreciate changes in lighting, the places must have different types of lighting installed
wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Do you miss orange light? « Reply #16 on: February 04, 2017, 09:54:13 AM » Author: wattMaster
What about "white" HPS/SON?

SLS! (Stop LED Streetlights!)

nicksfans

View Posts
View Gallery

Down with lamp bans!

GoL the.baus.of.all.bauses UCDl2EWWZc9h1IZXcfGU9OZA nicksfans
Re: Do you miss orange light? « Reply #17 on: February 12, 2017, 08:34:44 PM » Author: nicksfans
I love SOX/LPS but I think SON/HPS is pretty awful.

I like my lamps thick, my ballasts heavy, and my fixtures tough.

My Gallery
Instagram
YouTube

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: Do you miss orange light? « Reply #18 on: February 12, 2017, 10:27:18 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
When HPS mass-replaced MV in my area, I hated the orange color, thought it was ugly, etc.
I don't dislike it anymore, but I still prefer the blue-ish color of MV (and always will), I also like the pure white color of MH better than HPS.
I even own a couple HPS fixtures now...when I was a kid at the time the MV/HPS changeout occurred, if someone had told me "when you get old you will own one of those orange streetlights" I certainly would not have believed them.

One year when I was a kid we also made a trip to California, and I saw SOX for the first time, I loved the yellow streetlights they had...really wanted one of those (what I thought were just yellow fluorescents) for myself.
(I wasn't into collecting lights way back then, but I was still fascinated by them - a story I'm sure most of you guys experienced too?)

As for LED, I actually like the white color, but its also sad to see all the old still-working HPS fixtures replaced.

Quote from: wattMaster
What about "white" HPS/SON?
Are those the ones that look sorta like warm-white?

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

Beta 5

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Do you miss orange light? « Reply #19 on: February 13, 2017, 12:59:49 PM » Author: Beta 5

Are those the ones that look sorta like warm-white?

Yes warm white 2500K light from White SON

Fluorescent Forever :lfl:

nicksfans

View Posts
View Gallery

Down with lamp bans!

GoL the.baus.of.all.bauses UCDl2EWWZc9h1IZXcfGU9OZA nicksfans
Re: Do you miss orange light? « Reply #20 on: February 13, 2017, 03:39:52 PM » Author: nicksfans
OK, sure, it's better on paper, but I personally find SOX light much prettier.

I like my lamps thick, my ballasts heavy, and my fixtures tough.

My Gallery
Instagram
YouTube

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Do you miss orange light? « Reply #21 on: February 13, 2017, 04:35:50 PM » Author: Ash
Cycling is not as boring as a plain "lamp is off" - and is slow enough, not like a flashing EOL Fluorescent or LED. i dont find it offnsive in any way

But if it is, that can be solved with a smart ignitor, so is not a disadvantage of HPS either
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Do you miss orange light? « Reply #22 on: February 13, 2017, 10:33:05 PM » Author: dor123
I like the HPS lamps when they are cycling, in contrast when I was a little child, then this was scared me.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

dischargecraze

View Posts
View Gallery

Tom

Re: Do you miss orange light? « Reply #23 on: February 18, 2017, 07:03:15 PM » Author: dischargecraze
I'm a Low Pressure Sodium kid, I grew up in a street with Philips SRS201 55w SOX fixtures in my street. The installation continues to work to this day I think, last month they were still there. This week they started to replace some fluorescent double lamp SRS's with Industria Libra LED fixtures. I'm not sure what to think of it. Because some of the fixtures were replaced a year ago with fluorescent Libra's, they are keeping the fluorescent 830's with the new LED 865's. This creates a weird lighting pattern. The SRS's were ALL full of water. All rubber seals have broken down in these 30 years of service. They are going to replace all SOX installations here soon I'm assuming, and since I've always lived in this town I'll miss them. Their cozy orange light always shined trough my bedroom window and I always watched them run up when I was small. But I think the LED's will look very good and it will get rid of all the randomly replaced fixtures between 1990 and now.
ace100w120v

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Do you miss orange light? « Reply #24 on: February 22, 2017, 11:41:41 PM » Author: ace100w120v
Xmaslightguy, San Jose by any chance?
xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: Do you miss orange light? « Reply #25 on: February 24, 2017, 09:22:37 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Quote from: ace100w120v
Xmaslightguy, San Jose by any chance?
I was young at the time, & we're talking a trip that was more than 3 decades ago! :lol: so had to ask my dad..
Went to 2 cities Santa Barbara & Palos Verdes, so farther south.
I have been to San Jose & San Francisco too (that was a more recent trip, but probably still close to 10 years now)

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

Lodge

View Posts
View Gallery

18W Goldeye / 52W R&C LED front door lighting

Re: Do you miss orange light? « Reply #26 on: February 27, 2017, 01:10:57 AM » Author: Lodge
I don't miss the orange glow of LPS at all, every night I see it out the front door and the orange glow won't ever leave because I will move my philips gold eye's when I move, and I have enough tubes to keep them alive for another 72,000 odd hours and most other replacement parts just in case, I even mounted it to provide a full cut off, so if my city bring's in a dark sky policy it's ready LPS forever...
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Do you miss orange light? « Reply #27 on: March 18, 2018, 12:01:14 PM » Author: Rommie
To be accurate, LPS is nearer to yellow than orange, but I get the point. Yes, I miss it tremendously; I grew up with MV but the first ever discharge lamp that I owned was (and still is, I still have it) a low pressure sodium lamp, this 45W SOI/H lamp. It is, and always will be, my favourite colour for street lighting.

We simply don't need white light for street lighting; it's not necessary and is nowhere near as efficient in conditions of fog or other bad visibility as LPS light. HPS light too is far easier on the eye than the LED glarebombs we have to put up with nowadays :(

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Do you miss orange light? « Reply #28 on: March 18, 2018, 12:43:46 PM » Author: Cole D.
Most of my area is still HPS, but more of the yard light HPS NEMA heads are getting replaced by LED lights. I don't like the color light they produce, it's too washed out and dull looking. It reminds me of a depressing scene in a movie on a rainy night. Something was/is comforting about the orange light. But otherwise other than a stretch of the highway cobras, most lights here are still HPS and there are a few MV still here and there.

One of the other things is I don't like the design of the LED fixtures as much. They aren't as interesting as the old cobras and buckets and just look cheap and plasticty to me. They look like something you would buy at Walmart or Home Depot rather than something commercial quality. I'm trying to like them though.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

HomeBrewLamps

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: Do you miss orange light? « Reply #29 on: March 18, 2018, 01:12:34 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
HPS is still common here aswell as MV.

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies