Author Topic: Do you miss orange light?  (Read 6346 times)
merc

View Posts
View Gallery

Adam

GoL
Do you miss orange light? « on: December 03, 2016, 02:20:25 PM » Author: merc
Well, I do. A bit.
As a "mercury vapour kid", I hated HPS installations that were gradually stealing the "matter of my heart" - mercs (/DX coated ones have been used here). I wanted cool white outdoor lighting to come back.

Recently I was in a park where quite modern and good looking HPS park lanterns with louvres have been replaced by Schréder Friza LED cones. Their performance at night isn't bad at all. A lot of neutral/cool white light with a good CRI, low glaring level thanks to the diffuser.
But... While the original HPS lanterns were probably dimmer, the deep orange light (not sure what kind of SON-T lamps they used) was much more pleasing and cosy at night. So I would like to see them back!  :'(

Do you have a similar experience in your place?
Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Do you miss orange light? « Reply #1 on: December 03, 2016, 03:22:48 PM » Author: Ash
I have not seen one place where i would regard LED light as looking good, even where the parameters (CRI, lighting level etc) are apparently ok. HPS Orange (or with the "Plus" lamps - Gold-ish) is great light for some places. Better than having everything in shades of White. But where things come to White, i think Triphosphors and MH are the only legit ways to go except special applications
wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Do you miss orange light? « Reply #2 on: December 03, 2016, 08:34:44 PM » Author: wattMaster
I miss orange light, but most of Florida is still HPS.

SLS! (Stop LED Streetlights!)

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Do you miss orange light? « Reply #3 on: December 03, 2016, 10:30:57 PM » Author: dor123
I also hated the massive new HPS installation when I was young, since yttrium vanadate MV lamps prdouces a beautiful red glow when turning on, and HPS don't do this. Also MV lamps have longer cooling down period than HPS lamps. But I got used to HPS lamps.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Do you miss orange light? « Reply #4 on: December 04, 2016, 11:22:09 AM » Author: RyanF40T12
I like the LED street lighting as long as it is not above 4100K.  It is far superior color wise to the HPS.  In fact I've grown accustom to the LED street lighting here now and when I go thru communities with HPS I find the HPS to be rather dull and lacking.  Oh sure LED has it's issues but so did HPS and MH and MV when it came out.  It takes time to get all the bugs out.  But one thing is for sure, LED is here to stay and it aint going anywhere.  You don't have to like it, but it doesn't care if you like it or not, neither do the people who are having it installed to replace the HIDs of yester years.  But I also can understand some of you younger one's opinions on LEDs.  You don't like change.  I don't like change either.  But sometimes we get used to it and start to enjoy it. 

The more you hate the LED movement, the stronger it becomes.

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Do you miss orange light? « Reply #5 on: December 04, 2016, 01:32:48 PM » Author: dor123
I've an experiences with two "high quality" LED lanterns installtion right now:
1. Gaash Venus (Local made):
http://www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-109534
http://www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-109532
2. Schreder Teceo 2 15000lm:
http://www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-126279
http://www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-123660
http://www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-124599
Both are glaring more than HPS, but the Venus is less glaring than the Teceo 2. Both lanterns produces light of decent quality, but I think that for some roads, the golden orange color of HPS lamps, is more suitable.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Do you miss orange light? « Reply #6 on: December 04, 2016, 02:38:55 PM » Author: Ash
Comparing White light to White light :
Every place which is lit with LED looks worse than if it would be lit with the same brightness and K temperature with Triphosphors. There are many LED lamps and lumianires of different types out there, and if we disregard all the crap and compare only supposedly good ones to good ones, the light of Triphosphors is better

Of Triphosphor colors i cant say 827 is my favorite - I'd rather take 830. Maybe its something to do with manufacturers exaggerating with the Pink in 827. Either way, in the 827/830 range too i'd take Triphosphors every time merely for the light quality

Comparing White light to Yellow light :
LED provides White light of fuller spectrum than HPS, so its in a way comparing Apples to Oranges. Those who like the White light for being White, will prefer the LED. As for me, i like diversity in light sources. To make diversity it takes different types of light, not only shades of White between 2700K..6500K. As such, HPS is preferred for being in the other side of the diverse lighting scene. And there, the "Plus" lamps (NAV-T Plus etc) give very pleasant light for a non White light source, at great efficacy too
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Do you miss orange light? « Reply #7 on: December 04, 2016, 02:45:31 PM » Author: dor123
When comparing LED to other lightsources outdoors, compare it to MV and MH lamps. Not to triphosphors, which almost don't used there.

RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Do you miss orange light? « Reply #8 on: December 04, 2016, 11:34:07 PM » Author: RyanF40T12
Let me say this.. I do miss the LPS street lights in Cali from the 80s and 90s.  They were very cool looking. 

The more you hate the LED movement, the stronger it becomes.

waterbug

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Do you miss orange light? « Reply #9 on: December 05, 2016, 05:09:02 AM » Author: waterbug
Orange light yes, absolutely. Especially the low pressure sodium lamp, where I grew up enjoyed watching their warm-up stage, from pink to orange, it's all gone in the early 2000s and all of them were replaced by HPS. Honestly I have not seen one in person for nearly 16 years now. Back in 90s, if my memory serves me right, it was the MA60 with 135 or 180 watt tube, it's the brightest street light and they mainly installed near the intersection, and nearly all of them already loses it's cover.

Also one thing I might have noticed, all the LPS lantern I have seen, their brightness and color is very consistent, unlike those HPS and MV I seen that time, where they all seeming to produce different color.. some HPS produce yellower light than other, and the coated MVs ranging from white to slightly green ;D, and all of them varies in brightness.

I really do hope I get a lifetime supply of sox lamps.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 05:11:22 AM by waterbug » Logged
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Do you miss orange light? « Reply #10 on: December 05, 2016, 06:26:36 AM » Author: dor123
With MV lamps, the color depends on their color correction phosphors and their age. With HPS lamps, the color depends on their age and their type (Mercury free HPS lamps produces much yellower color than standard and super HPS lamps, and horticluture HPS lamps produces much redder color than regular HPS lamps), as well as in their burning state (Open neutral would cause part of the lamps to glow dim orange and part to glow a blindery halogen white light).

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich

Re: Do you miss orange light? « Reply #11 on: December 18, 2016, 05:29:54 PM » Author: AngryHorse
I too was a `MV kid` ;), I was only 9 years old when we lost all our mercury to low pressure sodium lamps in 1981, I remember the cool novelty of that `orange` light, and for years I was a big fan of it.
But its funny how you change as you get older!, after 35 years of SOX lamps all over our town, I now hate the colour!
However that soon changed to HPS, which was a better light than SOX, but in the last two weeks in our town their all gone now, changed to LED!

Its quite staggering that our council, Cheshire East has changed a good 80% of our sodium street lights to LED in just 2 weeks, but to me we have our streets back in white light again, just as I remember it as a kid in the 70s!

Its a pity their not the old mercury lamps again, but the colour is exactly the same as the good old MVs of my childhood years, and thats more than welcome for me 8)

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

"Beauty fades, dumb is forever".......Judge Judy :D

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Do you miss orange light? « Reply #12 on: December 21, 2016, 02:48:18 PM » Author: Ash
I grew in a place that had a lot of MV around, slowly getting replaced with HPS. But not all of it, and some was left or made MV by choice - New MV was put up, particularly in some "architecturals" built in the late 90s

When everything is the same color, i can see how hate is born...
AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich

Re: Do you miss orange light? « Reply #13 on: December 23, 2016, 05:34:55 AM » Author: AngryHorse
Yeah, I have seen SOX lights at night now for so long, (it certainly seems longer than 1981), I always take our dog on early morning walks at around 5am, and is so nice to walk along under white light from the new LED, and see the colours in the grass, trees and hedgerows again, it does re-awaken my memory to how our streets looked in the 70s with MV. :)

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

"Beauty fades, dumb is forever".......Judge Judy :D

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Do you miss orange light? « Reply #14 on: December 23, 2016, 09:43:16 AM » Author: Ash
No, not in this sense. In the sense of same color of the light itself, not the objects under it

When all light around is only White of LED (or any single color of any single light source), there is no diversity - And its on the highway to become as hated as a "one for all" light color can be..

The color of stuff can be rendered fairly enough under MV, HPS, LED and others. HPS is not worse in "painting" things with its own color than LED is
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies