Author Topic: My camera sees worser than my eyes, during capturing videos in total darkness.  (Read 1327 times)
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

My camera sees worser than my eyes, during capturing videos in total darkness. « on: January 09, 2017, 02:37:33 AM » Author: dor123
I've noticed that when capturing videos of cycling lamps or lamp hot restrikes in a total darkness, my camera (Canon SX150 IS) sees less than my eyes, compared to when there is some light around (Then it sees better than my eyes)
I captured a video of my Osram HQI-TS 70W/WDL Excellence hot restrikes, and before I turned off my table lamp (Shutters of the windows in my room were closed), my camera see better than my eyes, but after I turned off my table lamp, the camera see not better than my eyes, and on my computer display, the video is barely visible, so after uploading to Youtube, I need to use Youtube brightness enhancements, to brighten the video, a thing that causes the video to become nuclear.
What causes this? This don't happens to other members of LG like lantern_vision.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 02:39:10 AM by dor123 » Logged

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: My camera sees worser than my eyes, during capturing videos in total darkness. « Reply #1 on: January 09, 2017, 10:40:57 AM » Author: wattMaster
Your camera might not be able to handle fast changes in light level.
Generally, cameras vary widely with this, so maybe other cameras have quicker exposure changing.

SLS! (Stop LED Streetlights!)

merc

View Posts
View Gallery

Adam

GoL
Re: My camera sees worser than my eyes, during capturing videos in total darkness. « Reply #2 on: January 09, 2017, 04:35:35 PM » Author: merc
Your Canon PowerShot SX150 IS is a cheap, 5 years old model with a small 1/2.3 inch sensor.
I don't say a bad camera but don't expect a miraculous dynamic range and low light performance here.

If your camera allows you to set ISO for video to a higher value, you can try to play with. Note that the video will probably become noisy/grainy.
Set your aperture as low as possible - zoom wide to achieve f/3.4 and move your camera closer to the lamp. If you use zoom, it might go up to f/5.6 which means less light collected by the sensor.
You might also want to try a different software to post process your video. But if the source is very dark, no enhancement will make a perfect video from it.
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: My camera sees worser than my eyes, during capturing videos in total darkness. « Reply #3 on: January 10, 2017, 05:44:41 AM » Author: dor123
What happens: When I captures videos of a cycling redded out HPS lamp where there is no other lanterns near the cycling lamp, and the area is at a complete darkness during the cycling, the camera almost don't see anything compared to me. This in contrast to when the cycling lamp is on a double lamppost with another lamp, so my camera see better than me, or in the case that there is some light in the sky.
It looks like where there is a total darkness, the camera uses lower settings (Smaller shutter size and lower ISO) than when there is some light.
Here , as you can see, I had to use Youtube enhancements to brightens the picture, otherwise, in most of the time the lamp is out, the glow discharge is barely visible, and you won't be able to see anything.
Here , I capture the video with one of my other lamps operating, and as you can see, the glow discharge is seen better even without Youtube enhancements.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies