Author Topic: How much will HID lanterns be worth in 50 years  (Read 1775 times)
M250R201SA

View Posts
View Gallery

JGriff021985 JMG717
How much will HID lanterns be worth in 50 years « on: November 27, 2017, 12:03:01 PM » Author: M250R201SA
With the LED Changeover occurring quite rapidly, even being installed in areas where the current HPS or MH fixtures work perfectly, how much do you anticipate the value of HID NEMAs and Cobraheads to be worth.  I know that there aren't that many collectors out there, but let's assume that in 50 years, all of us will be replaced by people wanting to collect our new (which will be their old) fixtures.  How much do you think they will be worth. 

"I know a thing or two about a thing or two...  I sure do."

RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: How much will HID lanterns be worth in 50 years « Reply #1 on: November 27, 2017, 12:26:20 PM » Author: RyanF40T12
not very much at all.  Except to the ADHD/OC type of folks out there who have some strange obsession with lighting.  Oh wait, that is us. 

The more you hate the LED movement, the stronger it becomes.

Roi_hartmann

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: How much will HID lanterns be worth in 50 years « Reply #2 on: November 27, 2017, 02:57:22 PM » Author: Roi_hartmann
I would guess that without some very iconic industrial and vintage look with compact enought size possibly not that much.

Collectors are usually also after the iconic and "legendary" stuff so atleast cheap buckey lights and wallpacks price is not going to rise.

Aamulla aurinko, illalla AIRAM

Lodge

View Posts
View Gallery

18W Goldeye / 52W R&C LED front door lighting

Re: How much will HID lanterns be worth in 50 years « Reply #3 on: November 27, 2017, 06:27:12 PM » Author: Lodge
As the world runs out of copper the more copper in the fixture the more it will be worth, but that is not the same value collectors put on the fixture, not even close, and since for the most part they where so mass produced I can't see the value going up that much, but if you have a really cool radial wave in perfect shape with a MAT/V tube in it, it will fetch a pretty penny, even today it will fetch a pretty penny (and if that penny is solid copper it's worth more then the penny value it carries.)
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: How much will HID lanterns be worth in 50 years « Reply #4 on: November 27, 2017, 06:59:17 PM » Author: Rommie
As with any collectable item, they will be worth what someone is prepared to pay, it's as simple as that.

You or I may think a lamp or fitting is worth £5, £50 or £500 but if someone else will only pay 5p then that's all it's worth at the end of the day. Simple economics, whether we like it or not  :(

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: How much will HID lanterns be worth in 50 years « Reply #5 on: November 28, 2017, 12:58:57 AM » Author: RyanF40T12
There is a TON of copper out there.  We just have limited access to it, and the "environmental impact" of mining it can be an issue. 

The more you hate the LED movement, the stronger it becomes.

Lodge

View Posts
View Gallery

18W Goldeye / 52W R&C LED front door lighting

Re: How much will HID lanterns be worth in 50 years « Reply #6 on: November 28, 2017, 01:23:48 AM » Author: Lodge
There is a TON of copper out there.  We just have limited access to it, and the "environmental impact" of mining it can be an issue. 

2050 is the year we will run out of economically viable virgin copper, so most of it will switch to recycled and prices will only go one way and that is up, 20 years ago you didn't think twice if you had to use another spool just to make the job easier, today that's like 150 bucks and either you'll figure it out and do the extra work or add it on the bill, and copper pots where cheap and common place today a good new set will cost you a thousand plus.. 
Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: How much will HID lanterns be worth in 50 years « Reply #7 on: November 28, 2017, 03:27:30 AM » Author: Ash
I am not aware of much presence of Copper in HID fixtures... There is in the ballast, but even that can be done with Aluminum. For any vintage look etc. Copper plating is sufficient and the amount of Copper used for plating is very small

As for HID, there may be a maintainable small market if it can be shown, that HID have advantages over LED (they have, it is just outshouted at the moment by the LED craze). Within this market the costs will be much like any other small batch production

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies