Author Topic: I Have The Lighting Bug BAD!!!!  (Read 9682 times)
Bubbler Tube

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: I Have The Lighting Bug BAD!!!! « Reply #15 on: December 22, 2017, 12:16:43 AM » Author: Bubbler Tube
See here - scroll down to the section "Sodium Vapour" and you will find out all you need to know and more  :)

Hint - click on the words "Sodium Vapour" to get detailed technical info.

Thank You For The Link
 :hps: :hps: :hps:

I LOVE Bulbs, Be They The Light up Kind or the Ones That Grow...

Bubbler Tube

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: I Have The Lighting Bug BAD!!!! « Reply #16 on: December 22, 2017, 12:21:05 AM » Author: Bubbler Tube
As a result, we've spent more money than we ought to, we've bought loads of lamps

I Can See This Getting To Be a Problem, But Only a Light One......
Have Already Bought Another Bulb But It Probably Will Need it's Own Thread...

View Posts
View Gallery

Tha SOX MADMANNN

Re: I Have The Lighting Bug BAD!!!! « Reply #17 on: December 22, 2017, 08:45:59 AM » Author: 589
As a result, we've spent more money than we ought to, we've bought loads of lamps and NO Christmas presents for anybody (well not many..!)  :o

Same problem here...

:lps:

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: I Have The Lighting Bug BAD!!!! « Reply #18 on: December 22, 2017, 08:52:22 AM » Author: Rommie
I Can See This Getting To Be a Problem, But Only a Light One......
Have Already Bought Another Bulb But It Probably Will Need it's Own Thread...

All together now....

GROAN...!!!  ::) ::) ::)

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

funkybulb

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: I Have The Lighting Bug BAD!!!! « Reply #19 on: December 22, 2017, 09:22:42 AM » Author: funkybulb
I catch the sox lighting flu when i was 4 years old
As main post office in San Antonio ( postal Hub for
San Antonio. ) they had those 180 sox lighting
And one day my mom drove by in late evening
Discovered reddish glow of them starting up
Until  I was 10 years old when i start learning
How to ride a bike  after that i went every where
Saw these lit in person in Awe and watch them
Warm up.  I did this about about once a week
On the weekend.  Sadly these got remove
For HPS  in the mid 90s. Ok there still
Some sox 2 miles down that road at a public storage
Unit thst have those 35 watt sox wall pack.  Soon as
They find out they cant get replacement lamps, these
Will be scrapped in a hurry.  I need to get a photo of this
And also keep my eye out on that place.

No LED gadgets, spins too slowly.  Gotta  love preheat and MV. let the lights keep my meter spinning.

Bubbler Tube

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: I Have The Lighting Bug BAD!!!! « Reply #20 on: December 23, 2017, 09:15:45 AM » Author: Bubbler Tube
Guess What I Got Today?!?!?!
 ;D ;D ;D ;D

What a Thing of Lighting Magnificence!

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: I Have The Lighting Bug BAD!!!! « Reply #21 on: January 01, 2018, 04:25:58 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
Yes, we're not having a tree this year, just a self-ballasted 160W Woods Glass MBTW/U lamp  8)

I'm glad we didn't have it lit the whole time, because it did radiate a lot of heat.!  :o

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: I Have The Lighting Bug BAD!!!! « Reply #22 on: January 01, 2018, 04:33:47 PM » Author: Rommie
I'm glad we didn't have it lit the whole time, because it did radiate a lot of heat.!  :o

Just a bit  :D

That one is only a cheap Chinese one though, the  genuine 125W Philips MBW/U doesn't get anywhere near as hot, nor does the clear self-ballasted 160W one we had from James 8)

Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

Bubbler Tube

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: I Have The Lighting Bug BAD!!!! « Reply #23 on: January 02, 2018, 04:50:08 AM » Author: Bubbler Tube
Just a bit  :D

That one is only a cheap Chinese one though, the  genuine 125W Philips MBW/U doesn't get anywhere near as hot, nor does the clear self-ballasted 160W one we had from James 8)

On That Thought Do SOX Put Out a LOT of Heat?
Something To Consider IF I Decide To Get Him Up and Running At Some Point...
Thanks

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: I Have The Lighting Bug BAD!!!! « Reply #24 on: January 02, 2018, 07:38:15 AM » Author: Rommie
Thanks

Not really, well nothing excessive, anyway. I did measure the surface temperature of one once, but I've forgotten the result, that's a good excuse to get one out and fire it up again, watch this space  :D

Beta 5

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: I Have The Lighting Bug BAD!!!! « Reply #25 on: January 02, 2018, 01:55:48 PM » Author: Beta 5
Thanks

You can put your hand on a lit SOX lamp, just don't put it on the electrode end, it gets hotter around the electrode end.

Fluorescent Forever :lfl:

HomeBrewLamps

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: I Have The Lighting Bug BAD!!!! « Reply #26 on: January 02, 2018, 02:08:40 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
You can put your hand on a lit SOX lamp, just don't put it on the electrode end, it gets hotter around the electrode end.
So wait, do they get about as warm as a fluro lamp? are they considerably less hot than an HPS lamp?

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: I Have The Lighting Bug BAD!!!! « Reply #27 on: January 02, 2018, 03:08:54 PM » Author: Rommie

So wait, do they get about as warm as a fluro lamp? are they considerably less hot than an HPS lamp?

I wouldn't want to keep my hand on one for too long, but it's tolerable for a few seconds. I'll fire one up tomorrow and let you know  ;D

Lodge

View Posts
View Gallery

18W Goldeye / 52W R&C LED front door lighting

Re: I Have The Lighting Bug BAD!!!! « Reply #28 on: January 02, 2018, 08:41:12 PM » Author: Lodge

Yep they are a wee bit warmer, if you compare them to say a PL style tube, the short LPS tubes like the 18 watter can get very warm to the touch but longer lamps are not much warmer, they are basically a florescent lamp only they use sodium and not mercury and the IR reflective coating inside the tube does a great job reflecting most of the heat back on the inner tubes so they stay at the correct operating temp so the outer tube stays cooler..
xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: I Have The Lighting Bug BAD!!!! « Reply #29 on: January 07, 2018, 03:35:23 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Interesting on the SOX lamps & heat...
I have a 55w, and always have been afraid to touch it when on, because as bright as it is, it sure looks like it'd be burning hot!

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies