Author Topic: Question regarding to "color laser copiers" from the 90's and the 2000's  (Read 1227 times)
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Question regarding to "color laser copiers" from the 90's and the 2000's « on: January 09, 2018, 07:47:35 AM » Author: dor123
As you may or may not know, in the 90's, Canon invented a series of full color copiers called the CLC (Acronyms of Color Laser Copiers), that can being connected to a computer via RIP controller, to act as color printers, with the CLC 500 is the first in the series. During the first decade of the 2000's, I've seen a lot of advertising about the Canon CLC full color copiers and similar copiers such as Xerox Docucolor 12 and others, as being "color laser copiers", "digital color laser copiers", or even "digital printing systems", as well as confusing information in the machines manufacturers websites as being digital copiers (Resolution for copying, printing and scanning).

However the red lights begin to alarm in my mind, when I've seen several Canon CLC 11xx color copiers in action at Copymedia photocopying and printing shop, that I used to go with my former art therapist: The general appearance of these copiers looked exactly like the old, outdated, electrostatic, optical based, analog photocopiers, including 20 output trays sorters (Which is useless for a digital copier, as it can collate by digital means on a single output tray). Also, the halogen lamp for the originals surface, didn't made a single pass like a full color scanner does, but four passes, for CMYK (Which is completely unrealistic for an optical scanner [And therefore for a digital copier, which comprises of an optical scanner and a laser printer in a single unit] which can only see RGB), and if several copies being made, the Canon CLC would make 4 passes of the lamp for each copy.

In the beginning of the current decade of the 2010's, I've seen a website (Which don't exists anymore), about the history of the Canon CLC series of color copiers. In this website, I reached conclusion, that these copiers are nothing more than electrostatic, optical based, analog copiers with a seperate built in laser printing enging, with the raster image processing (RIP) stage, being done outside the machine inside a dedicated controller.

However, at page 47 of this book , I've readed once again, that Canon claimed that unlike other color copiers, using mirrors, lens and projections, their CLC 500 is completely digital, and working by digitally scanning the original and storing inside the memory (As it was a multifunction printer), but this wasn't my impression from the Canon CLC 11xx at Copymedia photocopying and printing shop.

Is the Canon CLC color copier was a highly false advertising campign, like Chormalux "Full Spectrum" lamps (They aren't full spectrum actually), Samsung "LED TV" (They aren't LED displays but just LCDs with LED backlighting), "Radiation protective" panels for CRT computer monitors (They protects from glare and static electricity but not from the CRT radiation), surge protectors (Which can't protect from lightnings and are often fire hazard), and LED lighting (Which aren't environment and energy saving, and don't lasts like most peeps thinks)?

Or is the Canon CLC really was a digital copier or a combination of an electrostatic analog copier with a laser printer?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 09:54:02 AM by dor123 » Logged

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies