Author Topic: LED fixtures at newer buildings???  (Read 13306 times)
lightinglover8902

View Posts
View Gallery

Power distributor: CenterPoint Energy. 120V 60Hz

GoL UCfoxh9h5FaLg-R04V8WDi3w
Re: LED fixtures at newer buildings??? « Reply #30 on: January 23, 2018, 10:55:26 PM » Author: lightinglover8902
I can't believe that people fall for "energy rebates" when it comes to LEDs.

Save the Cooper OVWs!! Don't them down by crap LED fixtures!!!

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: LED fixtures at newer buildings??? « Reply #31 on: January 24, 2018, 07:15:58 AM » Author: Rommie

Ehh if it annoys you... read over it, I'm likely not going to change my typing or speaking habits much anytime soon...

Ok, but we just want to know why people do it. It's just a minor irritant more than anything, correct use of the English language is something I was brought up to respect. I realise language changes, the use of the word "gay" is a well known example, but "kind of" just doesn't sit well with us as a form of punctuation.

Let's not fall out over it, ok  :-*

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich

Re: LED fixtures at newer buildings??? « Reply #32 on: January 24, 2018, 02:05:13 PM » Author: AngryHorse
"Kind of" is just American ;), its the same as the word "like" is used in UK language, what started by Scousers, (as its just the way they have always talked), you now hear nearly everyone saying on a day to day basis that were not even born or bred in Liverpool!......
"I was just `like` driving along this road, and I came across this dead cow `like`, I almost `like` run into it with my car"!!

What I really hate the most though, is people in the UK that pronounce `th` as `f` and `v`,..
"I fink I fought vhere was free of vhem, but it was only two"! ???
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 02:14:28 PM by AngryHorse » Logged

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

"Beauty fades, dumb is forever".......Judge Judy :D

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: LED fixtures at newer buildings??? « Reply #33 on: January 24, 2018, 02:15:43 PM » Author: Rommie

"Kind of" is just American ;), its the same as the word "like" is used in UK language, what started by Scousers, (as its just the way they have always talked), you now hear nearly everyone saying on a day to day basis that were not even born or bred in Liverpool!......
"I was just `like` driving along this road, and I came across this dead cow `like`, I almost `like` run into it with my car"!!
Believe me, I hate that too..!
What I really hate the most though, is people in the UK that pronounce `th` as `f`, "I fink I fought there was free of them, but it was only two"! ???
Nah, that's just us Londoners wot do that :P :D

What really gets me though, is when people combine "like" and "kind of" so you get "T thought it was kind of like a good thing to say"

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.......!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 02:20:10 PM by MissRiaElaine » Logged

Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

lightinglover8902

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: LED fixtures at newer buildings??? « Reply #34 on: January 24, 2018, 03:35:17 PM » Author: lightinglover8902
I think that has to do something about language disabilities. ???    I don't know if its true, but it could be.

RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: LED fixtures at newer buildings??? « Reply #35 on: January 24, 2018, 07:44:29 PM » Author: RyanF40T12
life is too short to worry about things like that. 

The more you hate the LED movement, the stronger it becomes.

Mercurylamps

View Posts
View Gallery

240V 50Hz

Re: LED fixtures at newer buildings??? « Reply #36 on: January 25, 2018, 07:15:58 AM » Author: Mercurylamps
life is too short to worry about things like that. 

Yep, I ignore little details like this because life is indeed too short.

It's like the sitcom Becker, which is about a grumpy doctor known as John Becker. He had a patient that kept ending every sentence with "You know what I'm saying?" He snaps and shouts "YES I KNOW WHAT YOU ARE SAYING! IF I DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU ARE SAYING I WILL ASK YOU!"
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: LED fixtures at newer buildings??? « Reply #37 on: January 25, 2018, 08:37:26 AM » Author: Rommie

Yep, I ignore little details like this because life is indeed too short.

It's like the sitcom Becker, which is about a grumpy doctor known as John Becker. He had a patient that kept ending every sentence with "You know what I'm saying?" He snaps and shouts "YES I KNOW WHAT YOU ARE SAYING! IF I DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU ARE SAYING I WILL ASK YOU!"
I don't know that show, but I know exactly how that character feels..! Life is indeed too short, which is why I'd rather not spend it having to put up with abysmal English..!

View Posts
View Gallery

Tha SOX MADMANNN

Re: LED fixtures at newer buildings??? « Reply #38 on: January 25, 2018, 07:57:23 PM » Author: 589
Kind of like, kind of, similar to, something like, sort of, sort of like, approximately like, around, in the neighborhood of, could be like, maybe like, etc.

All ways of providing a softly affirmative statement. It can be because of a self awareness that one is not completely qualified to make a solid affirmative statement from lack of knowledge or experience in the area of the opinion being given or another reason. Sometimes something isn't black or white, it's grey. It may be an improper affirmation, I'm not an English major. However, it is common language where I live, good bad or indifferent.

:lps:

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: LED fixtures at newer buildings??? « Reply #39 on: January 25, 2018, 08:07:54 PM » Author: Rommie

Kind of like, kind of, similar to, something like, sort of, sort of like, approximately like, around, in the neighborhood of, could be like, maybe like, etc.

All ways of providing a softly affirmative statement. It can be because of a self awareness that one is not completely qualified to make a solid affirmative statement from lack of knowledge or experience in the area of the opinion being given or another reason. Sometimes something isn't black or white, it's grey. It may be an improper affirmation, I'm not an English major. However, it is common language where I live, good bad or indifferent.
Maybe it's because of my age, I don't know. Whatever the reason, it just grates on my nerves, especially when some people seem to do it several times in the same sentence.

sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: LED fixtures at newer buildings??? « Reply #40 on: January 25, 2018, 08:17:36 PM » Author: sol
Inarticulate people often talk (or write) like that. Usually it is a symptom of a very sparse vocabulary. People have always done it, and will continue to do so. My students are constantly doing it in French, and it is most likely the same in all other languages. I'm with Ria on this one ; it is very annoying. Get to the point or stop talking (or writing). If you don't know what you're talking about, either refrain from talking about it or do some research. Simple yet too much work for some...

Additional detail : I'm not an English native speaker.

Now back to the original subject, I've been to many stores that have converted troffers to LED and you can't always tell the difference. It doesn't make me like LED, only to hate it very slightly less.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 08:20:09 PM by sol » Logged
Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: LED fixtures at newer buildings??? « Reply #41 on: January 25, 2018, 08:33:16 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
Inarticulate people often talk (or write) like that. Usually it is a symptom of a very sparse vocabulary. People have always done it, and will continue to do so. My students are constantly doing it in French, and it is most likely the same in all other languages. I'm with Ria on this one ; it is very annoying. Get to the point or stop talking (or writing). If you don't know what you're talking about, either refrain from talking about it or do some research. Simple yet too much work for some...

Additional detail : I'm not an English native speaker.

Now back to the original subject, I've been to many stores that have converted troffers to LED and you can't always tell the difference. It doesn't make me like LED, only to hate it very slightly less.

Well said.!! There are legitimate times that you can use some of these phrases but they are few and far between, it's bad enough when someone says it, but to type it is to me incomprehensible.!!

As to the LEDs masquerading as fluorescent tubes that's something that irritates me as well.

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: LED fixtures at newer buildings??? « Reply #42 on: January 25, 2018, 08:56:22 PM » Author: Rommie

As to the LEDs masquerading as fluorescent tubes that's something that irritates me as well.
They've just put some of those outside the pub just down the road from here, to illuminate the name signs. They look terrible, but we don't use that particular pub anyway, they don't serve real ale  :-\

lightinglover8902

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: LED fixtures at newer buildings??? « Reply #43 on: January 25, 2018, 10:30:37 PM » Author: lightinglover8902
So let me get this straight. You think I have some type of language disorder? Which usually i'm not making any sense, for what i'm saying???

Is that it??? :-X

Plus, I don't want conflicts, with me, ok. No offence.   :-\
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 10:41:13 PM by lightinglover8902 » Logged

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: LED fixtures at newer buildings??? « Reply #44 on: January 26, 2018, 09:21:13 AM » Author: Rommie

So let me get this straight. You think I have some type of language disorder? Which usually i'm not making any sense, for what i'm saying???

Is that it??? :-X

Plus, I don't want conflicts, with me, ok. No offence.
   :-\
Hey, no offence intended, it's just that with my upbringing and probably my age (I'll be 63 next month  :o) the way the language has changed over the years is extremely irritating. I just don't see that it's really necessary to punctuate sentences with "like" or "kind of" or other similar words, that's all.

Still friends..?  :) :-*

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies