Author Topic: LED fixtures at newer buildings???  (Read 13299 times)
lightinglover8902

View Posts
View Gallery

Power distributor: CenterPoint Energy. 120V 60Hz

GoL UCfoxh9h5FaLg-R04V8WDi3w
Re: LED fixtures at newer buildings??? « Reply #45 on: January 26, 2018, 07:19:33 PM » Author: lightinglover8902
Yep :-)

Save the Cooper OVWs!! Don't them down by crap LED fixtures!!!

boiler1011

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: LED fixtures at newer buildings??? « Reply #46 on: February 10, 2018, 02:06:48 AM » Author: boiler1011
There seems to be a pretty big beef with LED. Don't get me wrong, I love mercury-based and HPS lighting as much as the next guy, but I will say that the technology has progressed a lot. I moved into a new house in 2014 which I retrofitted to about 99% LED. The only incandescent bulbs I run are those that cannot be/not intended to be anything else. i.e. the oven, microwave, wax melter air fresheners, etc and decoration Edison, neon, etc. Everything else, including my landscape lighting, run LED's. I haven't had an issue with any of my bulbs since changing them over 3 years ago, and I didn't exactly splurge on them either. Most of the fixtures run cheap Walmart "Great Value" brand bulbs, and many I leave on perpetually because the cost of operation is almost nothing. I have a few "fancier" LED bulbs; I am a big fan of Philips Scene Switch. My outdoor light fixtures feature deep gold colored LED's, as well as the lights I wired in the attic windows. I wanted everything to match outside. I will be wiring a LPS light in the garage mostly for fun, but also have a 400W MV Powr/Bracket I want to put up on a pole out back. This is more for "just because I like lights" reasons.

A lot of businesses here are switching over to LED technology both indoor and outside. It really doesn't bother me at all, as I haven't even noticed the difference in some places. Chili's and Starbucks around here has been LED for awhile, and it took me quite a bit of time to even notice. The color temp is almost exactly the same as some warmer CFL and cooler colored incandescent bulbs. I have never been a fan of CFL, especially those that take several minutes to reach full brightness.

My only gripe is that some of the LED street lighting fixtures that are going up in the DFW, TX area. They work alright under good weather conditions, but are essentially useless when the roads are wet. The GE Evolve fixtures they are using for yard lights and rural road lighting are cool, though.
Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: LED fixtures at newer buildings??? « Reply #47 on: February 11, 2018, 11:50:44 AM » Author: Cole D.
I don't mind the LEDs as much as the colors. The new house next to me has two three types of exterior fixtures, all with LED bulbs. Two of them have a nice bright incandescent like color. However, the flood lights have an awful gray-blue color, and the lights inside the house appear to have that same color.

I also don't care for the color that the new LED yard lights have.

It would also be nice if the fixtures had a little nicer styling. Some of them look classic, but many are just plastic panel like things.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

CreeRSW207

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: LED fixtures at newer buildings??? « Reply #48 on: March 15, 2021, 09:29:00 PM » Author: CreeRSW207
Why would they install an older lighting technology when they have a chance to install something brand new and more efficient? I’m sure they get rebates as well.

Long live the Incandescent streetlights!
Power Company: Eversource
Startup Landscaping/LED retrofit business.

High Intensity

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: LED fixtures at newer buildings??? « Reply #49 on: March 16, 2021, 01:11:27 AM » Author: High Intensity
All new buildings built over the past 4 or 5 years have been all LED, I think it was around 2013 when places started getting their first LED fixtures, but I think it was around 2017 when all new/renovated buildings would be lit exclusively with LEDs.

One building in my area (built around 2014), had an interesting mix of LED accent light, PSMH path lights, and SOX parking lot lights, though most of the non-LED lights have since been converted or replaced.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2021, 01:16:29 AM by High Intensity » Logged
joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: LED fixtures at newer buildings??? « Reply #50 on: March 16, 2021, 04:20:34 AM » Author: joseph_125
I think around 2016-2017 was when newly constructed buildings here started switching over to LED. A few buildings that opened in 2015-2017 still had conventional lighting when they opened such as fluorescent and indoor HID. I think houses changed around the same time, to those LED recessed lights are are all the rage. (I tried one, didn't like how directional it was).

Don't actually remember when was the first building I saw with indoor LEDs though, maybe 2013. The first outdoor installs I've seen date to 2009.
CreeRSW207

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: LED fixtures at newer buildings??? « Reply #51 on: March 16, 2021, 08:26:00 AM » Author: CreeRSW207
A dollar general in town here that was built in 2017 had MH shoeboxes out in the parking lot and fluorescent inside! Sadly the MH was recently replaced but I think the fluorescent is still there. I don’t think it’s a code, it’s that 90% of the time they are going to choose the “latest and greatest” option.

Long live the Incandescent streetlights!
Power Company: Eversource
Startup Landscaping/LED retrofit business.

Econolite03

View Posts
View Gallery

Matthew E.

Re: LED fixtures at newer buildings??? « Reply #52 on: May 04, 2021, 04:34:20 AM » Author: Econolite03
Yeah, LED has been the new standard in my area since around 2016. There were some new PL-fluorescent fixtures installed in 2017 during a renovation of sorts at a nearby retail property. It’s the new norm.
AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich

Re: LED fixtures at newer buildings??? « Reply #53 on: May 07, 2021, 01:40:16 AM » Author: AngryHorse
Back in the late 70s/early 80s, we had a huge supermarket here called Fine Fare, (for our older UK members:, remember Fine Fare)?  :wndr:   ;D
Anywho, the whole store was lit with 1 KW mercury lamps, there must have been a hundred of them!!
This exact store is still here today, (now ASDA), but obviously without it’s mercs)!, but my point is here, can you imagine running a supermarket today, 7 days a week with a 100,000 watts lighting load!!!!, especially with today’s rip off energy prices!

It’s little wonder everyone is changing to LED, even if they don’t particularly like them, back in the 70s we weren’t paying ridiculous prices for electricity like we’re doing now, new installs of HID just don’t make financial sense today.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2021, 01:44:20 AM by AngryHorse » Logged

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

"Beauty fades, dumb is forever".......Judge Judy :D

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies