Author Topic: EOL anticipation, over excitement...?  (Read 5457 times)
suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
EOL anticipation, over excitement...? « on: March 13, 2018, 12:53:29 AM » Author: suzukir122
I've got 7 fluorescent desk lamps in my living room... Each of them containing high power factor
Trigger Start ballasts, all magnetic, and 4 of them capable of starting lamps down to 0 degrees. 2 ballasts are Valmont Bonus Line,
while the rest are all GE Bonus line. 4 of them have halophosphate Daylight GE F15T8's, 2 of them are Cool White GE, and one
has a Cool White Philip Alto. Now... the cool white GE lamps seem to BOTH be close to EOL. They both had been used previously before
I bought them off Ebay a while back.
One lamp has an ending with slight banding, and hotspot movement on occasion.
(pink glow with occasional blue flash) and the other lamp has an end with a tear drop end blackening, also slightly pink, but no
visible blue flashing yet. This cool white T8 lamp with the tear drop end blackening is being used on one of my 0 degree temp Trigger Start ballasts.
The tear drop blackening is beginning to widen very quick.
And my EOL anticipation and over excitement has been sky-rocketing, as with any expected future EOL show. lol
Does this happen to you guys as well when you're expecting a fluorescent EOL show?

Interests:
1. Motorcycles, Cars, Women, and Lighting (especially fluorescent)
2. Weightlifting/staying extremely athletic
3. Severe Thunderstorms of all kinds
4. Food and drinks. So gimme them bbq ribs
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

Roi_hartmann

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: EOL anticipation, over excitement...? « Reply #1 on: March 13, 2018, 12:25:40 PM » Author: Roi_hartmann
Kind of. I have 9w pl-s on the living room that does some flickering and takes forever to start but I don't wanna replace it yet sine it still kind of works so I'm waiting like "get to the eol, will ya." Cause it's kind of annoying right now.

The other one is F40 in my home office that has develope quite sudden black end. It's interesting to see how it behave since it's run by USA style electronic rs ballast and this is second eol by rs ballast I'm going to witness.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 12:35:15 PM by Roi_hartmann » Logged

Aamulla aurinko, illalla AIRAM

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: EOL anticipation, over excitement...? « Reply #2 on: March 13, 2018, 12:36:33 PM » Author: suzukir122
Yeah even with preheat I do still get a little bit of that feeling of "I cannot wait until this goes EOL..."
Though not as exciting to me as magnetic or electronic rapid start or instant start. Sometimes I get impatient as
well and I'm like, "geez hurry up and EOL already," if the EOL unexpectedly takes up too much time without much
of a show.
That F40 electronic rapid start EOL should be an interesting one!

**EDIT: I just saw the picture you attached with your message... yeah that looks like it'll go out really
soon... definitely looks like there is some hotspot movement taking place.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 12:39:06 PM by suzukir122 » Logged

Interests:
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: EOL anticipation, over excitement...? « Reply #3 on: March 13, 2018, 01:11:14 PM » Author: sol

And my EOL anticipation and over excitement has been sky-rocketing, as with any expected future EOL show. lol
Does this happen to you guys as well when you're expecting a fluorescent EOL show?

Yes, this does happen to me. Along with that excitement comes the "fear" that the EOL show will happen during a brief moment when I leave the room momentarily.

It happened once or twice at school (all F40 magnetic RS) where a lamp would have a very black end suddenly and would start rectifying like it does before the dim glowing stage. I would "accidentally" (=on purpose) hit the switch so the lights would turn off. Upon powering up, the lamp would be glowing dimly, and the louvre would appear dark.
Roi_hartmann

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: EOL anticipation, over excitement...? « Reply #4 on: March 13, 2018, 01:45:49 PM » Author: Roi_hartmann
Hmmm, this seems to progress really quickly. Yeasterday there was no any sign of it.

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: EOL anticipation, over excitement...? « Reply #5 on: March 13, 2018, 01:54:50 PM » Author: suzukir122
Man I use to HATE when the teachers turned off the lights during an EOL show. I mean, the EOL lamps
managed to start back up with no issue (before EOLing while lit) but still... I would always have
that fear that they wouldn't fire back up once the teacher flipped the switch back on.
I've never ran into that issue, besides with 34 watt philip altos... which were notorious for
broken electrode filaments.
I've actually had an EOL show take place while I was at my former job. I had (still have it) a "Lite
White" F15T8 Westinghouse lamp that came with the daylight GE F15T8's, and the two cool white GE F15T8's,
from Ebay. That Westinghouse lamp was obviously used heavily, and it was developing a scar type end blackening.
The end blackening was growing more noticeable in a short amount of time, but I saw no hotspot movement, no
blue flash... the ending had a greenish-blue tinge to it. I thought to myself, "ehh, just leave it on while I'm at
work." Stupid move. I came home and it was at the dim stage. Looked at the lamp and that ending was completely
blackened. Big time. I replaced it with one of the GE cool white T8's, which is now one of
the lamps going EOL. (Tear drop end blackening with that lamp, 0 degree ballast)

@Roi_hartmann, yep I expected that result. Now I'm betting anything the hotspot movement does at this point, will
effect light output with that F40T12 lamp you have.

Interests:

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: EOL anticipation, over excitement...? « Reply #6 on: March 13, 2018, 02:10:09 PM » Author: dor123
https://www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-130188
https://www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-130189
https://www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-130190

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: EOL anticipation, over excitement...? « Reply #7 on: March 13, 2018, 02:28:47 PM » Author: suzukir122
@Dor123, I remember seeing those videos a while back. With my GE cool white F15T8, (the one with
the hot-spot movement) it isn't quite up to that level of EOL yet. (None of my lamps are) But
there is definitely noticeable movement with bright blue flashing. I'm surprised that there isn't
any new end blackening developing with it yet.

Interests:

Roi_hartmann

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: EOL anticipation, over excitement...? « Reply #8 on: March 13, 2018, 02:57:26 PM » Author: Roi_hartmann
And the show is over.

Here's a little clip of something it did ever now and then before eol:

www.whitenightcape.com/kuv/end.mp4

The end itself was not that special. This ballast seems to have good eol protection:

www.whitenightcape.com/kuv/eol.mp4

The videos are quite big so watching with cellphone might not work

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: EOL anticipation, over excitement...? « Reply #9 on: March 13, 2018, 03:07:04 PM » Author: suzukir122
If that ballast has EOL protection I'm a bit surprised it got to the point of vacuum loss. lol
But yeah, if there isn't much swirling or orange flashing, even when vacuum loss occurs, I
end up being disappointed in the end as well

Interests:

Roi_hartmann

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: EOL anticipation, over excitement...? « Reply #10 on: March 13, 2018, 03:33:00 PM » Author: Roi_hartmann
Yeah, this didn't lose vacuum I think.

This lamp only lasted around 3 years in 12h per day use. Not that well done IMO.

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: EOL anticipation, over excitement...? « Reply #11 on: March 13, 2018, 03:40:46 PM » Author: suzukir122
Ahh man that's not that bad, actually. 3 years of use isn't the worst that I've heard.
The lamp in your video definitely lost vacuum in the end, as you can hear air being leaked
into the lamp.

Interests:

Roi_hartmann

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: EOL anticipation, over excitement...? « Reply #12 on: March 13, 2018, 03:44:58 PM » Author: Roi_hartmann
You mean that high pitch noise? I thought it was the ballast protesting about eol lamp. I wasn't familiar with how it sound since preheat what is dominant type here does not do that.

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: EOL anticipation, over excitement...? « Reply #13 on: March 13, 2018, 03:48:53 PM » Author: dor123
In my videos, what happened with the Osram Duluxstar 8W/827, is that when the electrode depleted emitter, the ballast blow it, which is the reason for this show.
Most American CFLs, overheats and sets in fire during that period.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: EOL anticipation, over excitement...? « Reply #14 on: March 13, 2018, 05:41:28 PM » Author: RyanF40T12
Most American magnetic T-12 ballasts didn't have EoL protection. 
I enjoy watching the "death dance" (as I call it) of T-12 lamps. Watching the hot spot travel side to side and the fire spiraling as I call it. 

The more you hate the LED movement, the stronger it becomes.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies