Author Topic: Whos fascinated about power lines and transmission lines?  (Read 1772 times)
lightinglover8902

View Posts
View Gallery

Power distributor: CenterPoint Energy. 120V 60Hz

GoL UCfoxh9h5FaLg-R04V8WDi3w
Whos fascinated about power lines and transmission lines? « on: April 06, 2018, 08:57:31 AM » Author: lightinglover8902
Its nice to see cool structure towers of transmission lines, and distribution lines. Out here in Southeast Texas, the transmission line towers have porcelain, and polymer insulators, with lattice structures and monopole ones which have polymer insulators. The distribution lines are nice, they're made by Center Point Energy, which kinda look intresting than a crossarm. Although crossarm ones are unique, yet older places in my area have crossarm distribution lines. The intresting ones have those tiered insulators, with a saddle insulator holding the neutral wire on top, instead of below with a spool insulator.

But yeah I did get a little bit of fascination out of them.

Save the Cooper OVWs!! Don't them down by crap LED fixtures!!!

F96T12 DD VHO

View Posts
View Gallery

Just chilling I guess

https://www.facebook.com/ Unreleasedwav UC2Uv7t9KgigOoT6blff2t3w i.d._official
Re: Whos fascinated about power lines and transmission lines? « Reply #1 on: April 06, 2018, 09:35:10 AM » Author: F96T12 DD VHO
Me I’ve had many wires from fallen power lines
I always wish to zip line down one wire and continue zipping
But my girlfriend says one wire can kill you
But don’t you need positive and negative to get killed right?

Music Producer/Light Enthusiast

lightinglover8902

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Whos fascinated about power lines and transmission lines? « Reply #2 on: April 06, 2018, 02:59:54 PM » Author: lightinglover8902
Actually, the power distribution, and transmission lines are AC. Not DC. There is no positive or negative, just AC phases to single phase to three phase lines. All transmission lines have three phases, which voltages can be from 47kV to 116kV in subtransmission lines, and transmission line voltages can be from 138kV to 765kV. The bigger obstruction tower, the bigger the voltage.

Now distribution lines can be ranged from 7.2kV (7200V) to 22kV, which single phase lines power houses and apartments. Three phase lines power commercial businesses and industrial buildings, where 277v to 480v is needed. Which houses need 120v to 240v. For 120v is split from 240v.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 03:07:04 PM by lightinglover8902 » Logged

lightinglover8902

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Whos fascinated about power lines and transmission lines? « Reply #3 on: April 06, 2018, 03:05:12 PM » Author: lightinglover8902
Now I know some of the users know this, but just in case if you forget, it starts from a power plant (e.g. natural gas plant) then the voltages are stepped up to transmission line voltage, like 500kV for example. Then the voltage is stepped down thru a via substation, to subtransmission voltage like 69kV for example. Then, it goes to a distribution substation, which the voltage is stepped down to distribution line voltage like 12kV or 7200V. Then it goes to a series of components on the distribution power pole lines, like capacitor banks, regulators, and switch gears and reclosers. Then goes to a distribution transformer which also steps down the voltage to house or commercial voltage.

Correct me if I'am wrong on all of this.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 03:08:40 PM by lightinglover8902 » Logged

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Whos fascinated about power lines and transmission lines? « Reply #4 on: April 06, 2018, 04:17:24 PM » Author: Ash
I do like the design of power lines, and for many reasons i prefer overhead lines over having everything underground

The voltages used in Israel are (Phase to Phase) :

400kV & 161kV transmission

22kV (in the north) / 33kV (in the south) distribution

400V low voltage (230V Phase to Neutral)

HV and MV lines are installed nowadays with composite isolators. Up to the late 90s they were installed with Porcelain and Glass, with a variety of isolator designs. Some devices like fuse holders, switches, etc are implemented using isolators as the frame holding them

Some MV lines were installed with insulated wire (thin isolation, that handles the voltage, but is not relied upon for the function of the line. The isolated wires are still installed on the same composite isolators as bare wires would). This was done in specific areas where there is population of big birds, to prevent the birds from electrocuting from the lines

Most LV installed since the mid 90s onwards is done with isolated bundles, that are suspended/connected/terminated with a set of components specific for them. Before that it was bare wires on isolators
F96T12 DD VHO

View Posts
View Gallery

Just chilling I guess

https://www.facebook.com/ Unreleasedwav UC2Uv7t9KgigOoT6blff2t3w i.d._official
Re: Whos fascinated about power lines and transmission lines? « Reply #5 on: April 06, 2018, 05:12:30 PM » Author: F96T12 DD VHO
So if I zip line down it
Will I get killed, it’s something on my bucket list
Sounds safe considering the HV

Music Producer/Light Enthusiast

lightinglover8902

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Whos fascinated about power lines and transmission lines? « Reply #6 on: April 06, 2018, 05:19:47 PM » Author: lightinglover8902
Yes. Because electricity, which is the flow of electrons is always looking for the shortest path to ground. So DON'T do it, if I were you. Always stay away from down power lines, for your safety.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 05:23:47 PM by lightinglover8902 » Logged

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Whos fascinated about power lines and transmission lines? « Reply #7 on: April 06, 2018, 11:32:50 PM » Author: Cole D.
I like to look at the big towers that support the high voltage lines, and also the noise they make. Some of these lines are near me and when I was near the lines I could hear humming and one morning it was foggy and you could hear popping and see small spark like lights on the lines.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

tolivac

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Whos fascinated about power lines and transmission lines? « Reply #8 on: April 07, 2018, 01:37:45 AM » Author: tolivac
Yes-have always liked power equipment.have a good share of this at work.Our transmitters work from 4160V 3 ph-the building substation at 10MVA works from 115Kv 3 ph primary to 4160V secondary-1600A per leg!!!Also have a Cat 2.2Mw genset for backup power or load management.If its very cold or hot outside the power company has in go to load management-run the generator.Most apaartment homes are fed with 208-120V 3ph power,one building I stayed in was fed with 480V 3ph-a transmformer in the basement stepped the 480 to 208/120 for the apartments.The 480V ran the airconditioning chillers.There are transformers in the transmitter building to step 4160V down tio 208/120 for gen building loads.There is another transformer for 4160V 3ph 230V this was for LV supplies in transmitters that have been removed.don't know what will happen to the 230V supply.Its 4160V breaker has been locked off.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies