Author Topic: Compact Flourescent Lamp Preferences  (Read 14126 times)
Foxtronix

View Posts
View Gallery

Formerly "TiCoune66". Also known here as Vince.

GoL UCs4tSgJSCoCIMGThBuaePhA
Re: Compact Flourescent Lamp Preferences « Reply #45 on: March 17, 2009, 06:09:22 PM » Author: Foxtronix
I have three GE CFLs that I installed in Jan. 2008. One of them failed in Jan. 2009. No POP or smoke, only stopped working. That's why I think that the GE's are the best CFLs on the market. I have seen many recalls about other CFLs that badly melt, but GE's recalls are scattered.

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Compact Flourescent Lamp Preferences « Reply #46 on: March 24, 2009, 02:30:50 PM » Author: Medved
I have three GE CFLs that I installed in Jan. 2008. One of them failed in Jan. 2009. No POP or smoke, only stopped working. That's why I think that the GE's are the best CFLs on the market. I have seen many recalls about other CFLs that badly melt, but GE's recalls are scattered.

And you are living in 120V or 230V area?

No more selfballasted c***

Foxtronix

View Posts
View Gallery

Formerly "TiCoune66". Also known here as Vince.

GoL UCs4tSgJSCoCIMGThBuaePhA
Re: Compact Flourescent Lamp Preferences « Reply #47 on: March 26, 2009, 05:02:58 PM » Author: Foxtronix
And you are living in 120V or 230V area?

I live in Canada, a 120V area.

TudorWhiz

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Compact Flourescent Lamp Preferences « Reply #48 on: March 29, 2009, 08:49:55 AM » Author: TudorWhiz
I haven't had ANY GE except for one old A-19 shaped CFL burn out on me....the A-19 one burnt out peacefully....

So they are currently good but there was a few reports of GE ones catch fire but much lower rate percentage...

For pictures of my streetlight collection and other streetlight pictures with some various pictures that are not in this website, please visit http://www.galleryoflights.org/  under GullWhiz

Administrator of Galleryoflights.org

bluelights

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Compact Flourescent Lamp Preferences « Reply #49 on: March 29, 2009, 09:25:38 AM » Author: bluelights
The only CFL we had burn out was of some "Brownie X" brand, these were really crappy and dim...
Most of the CFLs in our house are instant(?) start Philips ones and all of them are still working after several years (though the plastic on the base started yellowing and you can see some places with worn phospor on the tubes).

We also have some preheat(?) ones where the ends will glow for a second then they come on. I think these will have longer life. The bulbs of this kind we have are made by Osram and Tesla.

"The orange cloud looks like floating nuclear waste."
Save the mercury lamp

icefoglights

View Posts
View Gallery

ITT Low Pressure Sodium NEMA

GoL
Re: Compact Flourescent Lamp Preferences « Reply #50 on: March 29, 2009, 01:43:34 PM » Author: icefoglights
The ones I've really used have been GE, Commercial Electric/N'vision/TCP, LOA and Sylvania.  The GE and TCP ones that failed simply quit working.  The Sylvanias are all still working.  The LOAs were the old ones from back when the spiral CFLs first hit the market.  They worked fine, but produced interference that blocked my Dish Network remote from working when the light was on, so I took them out of service.

I did have a pair of Feit CFLs that were used in a light controlled by an occupancy sensor.  They quit working after a short time, but I think that was due to the frequent on/off of being on the sensor, and the sensor always passed some current through the lamps while they were off, since it didn't have a neutral of it's own.

01010010 01101111 01100010 01100101 01110010 01110100

yuandrew

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Compact Flourescent Lamp Preferences « Reply #51 on: March 31, 2009, 11:01:32 AM » Author: yuandrew
I like the older Philips "Earth Light" SLS series with the three U tubes.

lightman64

View Posts
View Gallery

Zero 88 Lighting Controls Rule!

Re: Compact Flourescent Lamp Preferences « Reply #52 on: March 31, 2009, 04:54:29 PM » Author: lightman64
Dude, Philips SLS CFLs are the best! I've never had one burn out, and you can use them in many kinds of fixtures, hence the name Universal. They also glow for a second before comming on which is almost like an electronic preheat. Philips SLS CFLs have a cool three tube design that no other CFL has.

The future of street lighting is Induction, not nasty HPS lights or cr@ppy LED lights!
Preheat CFL's should make a comeback!

TudorWhiz

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Compact Flourescent Lamp Preferences « Reply #53 on: April 04, 2009, 09:23:08 AM » Author: TudorWhiz
Dude, Philips SLS CFLs are the best! I've never had one burn out, and you can use them in many kinds of fixtures, hence the name Universal. They also glow for a second before comming on which is almost like an electronic preheat. Philips SLS CFLs have a cool three tube design that no other CFL has.

The start up you described is actually called Programmed Start....they actually have those in F32T8s and other tubular fixtures too like at my work in the backroom turns on like that!

For pictures of my streetlight collection and other streetlight pictures with some various pictures that are not in this website, please visit http://www.galleryoflights.org/  under GullWhiz

Administrator of Galleryoflights.org

Parrot

View Posts
View Gallery
YouTube: Parrot175

Parrot175 parrot175
Re: Compact Flourescent Lamp Preferences « Reply #54 on: January 11, 2010, 08:02:02 PM » Author: Parrot
I will use magnetic CFLs and adapters when ever I can because I think they are safer then the electronic ballast ones. Plus most of the magnetic CFLs and adapters are pre-heat which is good because I like pre-heat lights. As for the tube shape I like the tubular ones.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies