Author Topic: No more than 900 lumens...  (Read 1730 times)
xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
No more than 900 lumens... « on: January 11, 2019, 12:00:24 AM » Author: xmaslightguy
900 Lumens or less, No lights over 3000k, and bulbs must be within a fixture that aims light downward plus obscures view of the bulb.
That's the basics of  an  ordinance that one of the towns (Boulder) here in Colorado has put into effect for outdoor lighting on single-family homes.
There are requirements for rental & commercial buildings as well that vary by size & type of business.

To me 900-lm would not be near bright enough...

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: No more than 900 lumens... « Reply #1 on: January 11, 2019, 12:46:10 AM » Author: dor123
I think these are regulations against light pollution.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

funkybulb

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: No more than 900 lumens... « Reply #2 on: January 11, 2019, 08:50:55 AM » Author: funkybulb
do they run around with a light meter and go by color of bulbs?

No LED gadgets, spins too slowly.  Gotta  love preheat and MV. let the lights keep my meter spinning.

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: No more than 900 lumens... « Reply #3 on: January 11, 2019, 02:45:31 PM » Author: Medved

I would guess after getting a complaint they will will check that...

Otherwise I doubt...

No more selfballasted c***

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: No more than 900 lumens... « Reply #4 on: January 11, 2019, 06:39:49 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Quote from: funkybulb
They do have a light meter and can check...but like Medved said, I doubt they'll go around checking people's houses, unless someone complains.

Quote from: dor123
I think these are regulations against light pollution.
Its part of a larger batch of energy efficiency standards/regulations which that town passed, but yep this particular one is mainly for light pollution.

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: No more than 900 lumens... « Reply #5 on: January 11, 2019, 09:02:56 PM » Author: sol
It is most likely also aimed at contractors who build entire neighbourhoods. The inspector will probably have a problem with glare bombs. Otherwise it provides a mechanism for the city should complaints be made about lighting, like Medved mentionned.
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: No more than 900 lumens... « Reply #6 on: January 11, 2019, 11:09:42 PM » Author: dor123
Lot of people here in Kiryat Ata and Haifa, putting eBay grade LED floodlights on their houses, which are glare bombs and contribute to the light pollution.
My Philips ML 160W SBMV produces 3200lm average which is slightly lower than a 80W MV lamp (3600lm for the Philips HPL-N 80W) and the American 100W/DX mercury lamp, which is a reasonable level for household outdoor lighting. 900lm is enough for indoor use but no enough for outdoor use.
With LED lighting, there are three other causes for light pollution: Inferior optics compared to conventional lighting, very high level of glare compared to the low lux levels on the ground and the low lumens output, and the spectrum of the common white LED. So with LED, even a 900lm LED floodlight or fixture is enough to worsen the light pollution.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies