Author Topic: Whats the point of having daytime running lights on newer cars?  (Read 6792 times)
lightinglover8902

View Posts
View Gallery

Power distributor: CenterPoint Energy. 120V 60Hz

GoL UCfoxh9h5FaLg-R04V8WDi3w
Whats the point of having daytime running lights on newer cars? « on: February 14, 2019, 09:53:53 AM » Author: lightinglover8902
IDK, but every newer cars I see comes out, and they have these daytime running lights on the headlights. Whats the point of having them? A lot of newer cars have them including GM cars, Dodge, Ram, Toyota, Lexus, and more other car manufactures have daytime running lights. Is a safety thing or what.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 11:02:39 AM by lightinglover8902 » Logged

Save the Cooper OVWs!! Don't them down by crap LED fixtures!!!

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Whats the point of having daytime running lights on newer cars? « Reply #1 on: February 14, 2019, 10:57:55 AM » Author: Medved
The point has two components.

The safety:
When a car has its light ON, it is better visible for others, as well as it is more clear the vehicle is in operation. For this reasons, many countries mandate vehicles to have some lights ON even at broad daylight. Therefore many regulations require the cars to have a function to have such lights ON all time the car is driven.

The economy:
To satisfy the above, with cars with only "classic" light arrangements it means to have the headlights ON all the time. The problem is, the headlights, together with all the illumination around, consume quite some power and diissipate substantial heat. The power is seen as a problem for unnecessary extra fuel consumption, the heat is problem for reliability of the headlights, when the lamp heat gets combined with sun heat.
Because of physics limitations, the lighting design has to make compromises between efficacy, beam quality, mass of the system and lifetime (plus cost is the non-physics factor there too). With classic headlights the assumption was they operate only fraction of the car runtime and only without the direct sunlight, so the mass and efficacy were the prime factors. That leads to rather short lifetime of the bulbs (halogens use to be rated for barely 250h, older nonhalogen lamps for barely 150 hours, assuming no external heat load). It is reasonable when they are used only at night or bad weather, but becomes too short when they are supposed to be ON all time. That is quite a problem: To prolong the life you either get less light (worse night time visibility), higher power (even more heat load, making more troubles there) or way more expensive and heavier technologies (HID, LED,...; both cost extra fuel consumption penalty because of their weight, offseting their lower power consumption benefit)
Because the daytime visibility does need the light to be emitted only towards oncoming drivers (so only the stray light from the standard headlights does this function), making separate lights for the daylight illumination means the main headlights do not have to last that long (so allow higher fuilament temperature operation, so lower power input or better night visibility), the main high power lights are not that much heat loaded (no sun heat load on top of the lamp heat). And these separate daytime lights may be designed to emit just the light needed for this function (lower intensity, directed towards other drivers), which suffices with way lower light output need. Because of the lower power, it is easy to use either lower power long life incandescent (200lm long life 21W is by far enough), or low power led (2..3W with quality optic or 5W with cheap optic is enough).

The result is, the two separate lights are cheaper than a single light designed to perform both functions. Cheaper both for manufacturing, as well as fuel consumption. Because the daytime light ON function is mandatory in many places around the world, the makers fulfilled that in the cheapest way (for them, of course), so used separate lights, each of them optimized for its role (as typical, the lowest cost to just pass the car warranty with its lifetime; but that would be with any configuration anyway).

No more selfballasted c***

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Whats the point of having daytime running lights on newer cars? « Reply #2 on: February 14, 2019, 10:59:31 AM » Author: dor123
https://www.powerbulbs.com/blog/2016/09/purpose-of-daytime-running-lights

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Whats the point of having daytime running lights on newer cars? « Reply #3 on: February 24, 2019, 05:47:49 AM » Author: suzukir122
It's not just cars... seems as if newer motorcycles have this as well. LED running lights during the daytime, while
the main HID, LED or Halogen headlights stay off.

Interests:
1. Motorcycles, Cars, Women, and Lighting (especially fluorescent)
2. Weightlifting/staying extremely athletic
3. Severe Thunderstorms of all kinds
4. Food and drinks. So gimme them bbq ribs
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Whats the point of having daytime running lights on newer cars? « Reply #4 on: February 24, 2019, 05:55:52 AM » Author: dor123
I've seen them in some cars here in Israel. Some buses here in Israel, have them as well. However cars having them, aren't exempt from turning on the main lights during the day at winters here.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Whats the point of having daytime running lights on newer cars? « Reply #5 on: February 24, 2019, 05:59:56 AM » Author: suzukir122
I've also seen them on buses over here, and many semi trucks, and also business trucks in general. Even street-sweepers!
All of them had LED daytime running lights. So it seems to be with almost all newer on road vehicles in general, except for
supermoto's/dirtbikes. I'm pretty sure even electric cars have them as well.

Interests:
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

lightinglover8902

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Whats the point of having daytime running lights on newer cars? « Reply #6 on: February 24, 2019, 09:08:30 AM » Author: lightinglover8902
I've also seen them on buses over here, and many semi trucks, and also business trucks in general. Even street-sweepers!
All of them had LED daytime running lights. So it seems to be with almost all newer on road vehicles in general, except for
supermoto's/dirtbikes. I'm pretty sure even electric cars have them as well.

Tesla, and other electric cars have the daytime LED running lights.

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Whats the point of having daytime running lights on newer cars? « Reply #7 on: February 24, 2019, 09:40:53 AM » Author: suzukir122
Yep just as I thought. lol I agree that it's more than likely a safety measure. Especially since cars and trucks aren't the only
kind of vehicles that have them.

Interests:

sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Whats the point of having daytime running lights on newer cars? « Reply #8 on: February 24, 2019, 09:20:42 PM » Author: sol
I had a ride-on lawn mower with daytime lights. There was no switch either.
lightinglover8902

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Whats the point of having daytime running lights on newer cars? « Reply #9 on: February 24, 2019, 09:22:08 PM » Author: lightinglover8902
I had a ride-on lawn mower with daytime lights. There was no switch either.

Wait....  Lawnmowers have them two?!?! :o

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Whats the point of having daytime running lights on newer cars? « Reply #10 on: February 24, 2019, 09:23:14 PM » Author: suzukir122
 :o... I did not know lawnmowers have them as well. Especially if they're the LED kind.

Interests:

sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Whats the point of having daytime running lights on newer cars? « Reply #11 on: February 24, 2019, 09:24:20 PM » Author: sol
Yes. In 2008 or 2009, Cub Cadet LTX series had them (incandescent). Not sure if they still do or not.

I got rid of this tractor last year, and it had one burnt out lamp and one working lamp. I never used it in the dark, so I never bothered to replace the lamp.
lightinglover8902

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Whats the point of having daytime running lights on newer cars? « Reply #12 on: February 24, 2019, 09:31:08 PM » Author: lightinglover8902
Yes. In 2008 or 2009, Cub Cadet LTX series had them (incandescent). Not sure if they still do or not.

I got rid of this tractor last year, and it had one burnt out lamp and one working lamp. I never used it in the dark, so I never bothered to replace the lamp.

I think the newer Cubcadet mowers have LEDs now.

I think I did see one of these with LED lights on front at Home Depot.

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Whats the point of having daytime running lights on newer cars? « Reply #13 on: February 24, 2019, 09:39:34 PM » Author: suzukir122
Even though I personally don't care too much to search for them, new YouTube videos might show the new lawn mowers in action,
with possible reviews of them. That may be one of the best ways to determine if the new ones have LED running lights. Maybe lol...
besides physically buying new lawn mowers, of course.

Interests:

sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Whats the point of having daytime running lights on newer cars? « Reply #14 on: February 24, 2019, 09:44:47 PM » Author: sol
Well, in Canada, they have "LED High Illumination" headlights now. I assume they are daytime running. See here. I also assume the specs in the USA are very similar.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies