Author Topic: Its severe weather season! Be prepared for it!  (Read 30961 times)
xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

zzz

GoL ATL
Re: Its severe weather season! Be prepared for it! « Reply #255 on: February 05, 2020, 11:34:48 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Quote from: CEB1993
That's really interesting! I've felt downdrafts and it's kind of creepy how a warm spring or summer day is suddenly chilled by a cold downward wind.
Yep its an odd feeling with that cool/cold air from a downdraft

but it was obviously extremely powerful winds. We never had an official tornado sighting, so I'm thinking this could have been the result of an RFD.
The RFD winds can exceed 100mph,  and can be strong enough to flip vehicles (more so something like a van or truck than a car), or rip the roof off a house...

-----------
We have up to 5 inches of rain in the forecast between now and Thursday evening.
This same system is reaching all the way up to the northeast USA and Canada
Possibly part of the same system that passed through here Mon/Tue, giving around 6-7" of snow in my area (and a low of -5F this morning)
There's another chance of snow Friday

-----------
I see there was 6 tornado reports in MS today
(plus numerous hail & high-wind reports there & surrounding states...)

Its All For The Christmas Lights...
And A Good Summer Thunderstorm!

CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Re: Its severe weather season! Be prepared for it! « Reply #256 on: February 06, 2020, 11:25:26 AM » Author: CEB1993
Tornado!  Shocked

This picture is from one of my friends in nearby Charlotte, NC about an hour ago. Iíve been keeping in touch and he has been told to seek shelter in the lower level of his office building. One of the best live photos Iíve ever seen.

This SC and NC outbreak is even worse than I thought it would be. Multiple tornado warnings, road closures, and flooding rains. The news is covering people evacuating local homes and buildings. The line of heavy rain and thunderstorms is ďtrainingĒ over my area and bringing nonstop torrential rain. I hope and pray my friends are okay throughout the upstate SC and the Charlotte area.

The imminent flooding is definitely going to cause loss of life and extreme property damage throughout the region Cry This is an emergency situation and Iím sitting tight for as much as I can and keeping in touch with friends and family.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2020, 11:41:07 AM by CEB1993 » Logged

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents! Stop the lamp bans!

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

zzz

GoL ATL
Re: Its severe weather season! Be prepared for it! « Reply #257 on: February 06, 2020, 08:06:48 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Quote from: CEB1993
told to seek shelter in the lower level of his office building.
I might be crazy, but I wouldn't be hiding in the basement or some 'safe room' ... I'd be grabbing the videocamera & heading out to get that thing! LOL

This SC and NC outbreak is even worse than I thought it would be. 
I see there was 10 reports of tornadoes between NC & SC today (plus a bunch for high-winds damage).
Hope you/your family/your friends are safe from all that stormy weather...

Its All For The Christmas Lights...
And A Good Summer Thunderstorm!

CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Re: Its severe weather season! Be prepared for it! « Reply #258 on: February 06, 2020, 09:06:06 PM » Author: CEB1993
I might be crazy, but I wouldn't be hiding in the basement or some 'safe room' ... I'd be grabbing the videocamera & heading out to get that thing! LOL

I see there was 10 reports of tornadoes between NC & SC today (plus a bunch for high-winds damage).
Hope you/your family/your friends are safe from all that stormy weather...

Yes, weíre all good here thanks for asking  Smiley I had an uneventful drive to and from work and Iím excited to see some sun and much cooler and windy weather tomorrow to dry out. This February severe outbreak and flooding event is definitely one for the history books!

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents! Stop the lamp bans!

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Its severe weather season! Be prepared for it! « Reply #259 on: February 06, 2020, 09:06:27 PM » Author: Cole D.
We might get severe weather later tonight here, but it sounds like it's more just wind and rain than I thought. Since we're not supposed to be under tornado watches this far out. It was quite windy this evening, but no rain, just dark clouds.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich

Re: Its severe weather season! Be prepared for it! « Reply #260 on: February 07, 2020, 10:26:21 AM » Author: AngryHorse
Weíve been given 70 MPH winds for Saturday night inland!, thatís pretty unusual here, so Iíve been bolting all the litter bins to the floor at work today!  Grin Grin

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED

"Beauty fades, dumb is forever".......Judge Judy Cheesy

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Its severe weather season! Be prepared for it! « Reply #261 on: February 07, 2020, 03:37:23 PM » Author: suzukir122
@AngryHorse, 70mph winds is definitely pretty strong. But I've always wondered... does the UK ever experience tornadoes? Or
at least Supercell Thunderstorms? (Big hail, 100mph winds, deadly lighting, UFO base clouds... )

Interests:
1. Motorcycles, cars, Women, and Lighting (especially fluorescent)
2. Weightlifting/staying extremely athletic
3. Severe Thunderstorms of all kinds
4. Food and drinks. So gimme them bbq ribs
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich

Re: Its severe weather season! Be prepared for it! « Reply #262 on: February 07, 2020, 06:44:40 PM » Author: AngryHorse
@AngryHorse, 70mph winds is definitely pretty strong. But I've always wondered... does the UK ever experience tornadoes? Or
at least Supercell Thunderstorms? (Big hail, 100mph winds, deadly lighting, UFO base clouds... )
Apparently, (and I was shocked at this), but the UK is the tornado capital of the world!!!!, itís said that more tornadoes form here per month than in the US!, but there is a difference, unlike the massive F5 monsters that touch ground in the US and can last for hours, travelling mile after destructive mile, ours barely last minutes and very rarely from into a full funnel that most are not even noticed!
Some do form though, but only touch ground for a few seconds, and minimal damage is ever done, apart from a few damaged roof tiles!
However, on the 28th of July 2005, Birmingham in the UK, (about 60 miles from us), suffered the worst recorded tornado here doing considerable damage to houses! As for supercells, sadly no, but I would love to see one first hand!
« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 06:50:30 PM by AngryHorse » Logged

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Its severe weather season! Be prepared for it! « Reply #263 on: February 07, 2020, 07:03:32 PM » Author: suzukir122
@Angryhorse, the UK being the tornado capital of the world... I'm not sure I believe that lol
Seems like the UK does get funnels but... not really tornadoes. Also, if there's a funnel, there's a mesocyclone above it.
And if there's a mesocyclone, that's a Supercell thunderstorm. So you guys in the UK do get Supercells, but just not nearly as potent
as the ones here in the U.S, which is why you guys typically see funnels instead of tornadoes.
If it doesn't reach the ground, or barely touches the ground, it's definitely not a tornado lol
I have seen some pretty potent thunderstorm videos shot from the UK in the past though, on YouTube!

Interests:
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich

Re: Its severe weather season! Be prepared for it! « Reply #264 on: February 07, 2020, 07:14:24 PM » Author: AngryHorse
Ah, right!, now you have explained the mechanics of them, that makes sense not to call them tornadoes!  Wink, itís just something I remember reading somewhere once!
Youíre weather is awesome though, Iím always watching US storm videos on YouTube!, our weather where I am is soooo boring that even tomorrowís winds will be interesting to watch!,  but would probably be a bit of a breeze to you guys lol!
« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 07:18:07 PM by AngryHorse » Logged

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Its severe weather season! Be prepared for it! « Reply #265 on: February 08, 2020, 06:07:53 AM » Author: suzukir122
Yeah your weather is definitely a breeze to us here in the U.S, @Angryhorse. By far lol
But one thing I've noticed about the UK and surrounding areas, through out the many, many motorcycle related videos I've
watched on YouTube that have been shot in the UK, you guys see cloudy weather A LOT. Almost every single video I've seen in these
last several years, posted from motorcycle riders in the UK, included cloudy days. Seems like the UK see's a lot of cloudy days,
even during the summer

Interests:

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Mainly the mechanical side of things

Re: Its severe weather season! Be prepared for it! « Reply #266 on: February 08, 2020, 05:17:41 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
Cloudy weather is the norm for us here in the UK, during the height of summer we might get a few cloudless days if we're lucky.

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen)

There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber  -  US author, cartoonist, humourist, & satirist (1894 - 1961)

sox35

View Posts
View Gallery

Mainly the electrical side of things

missriaelaine
Re: Its severe weather season! Be prepared for it! « Reply #267 on: February 08, 2020, 05:57:30 PM » Author: sox35
Apparently, (and I was shocked at this), but the UK is the tornado capital of the world!!!!, itís said that more tornadoes form here per month than in the US!, but there is a difference, unlike the massive F5 monsters that touch ground in the US and can last for hours, travelling mile after destructive mile, ours barely last minutes and very rarely from into a full funnel that most are not even noticed!
Some do form though, but only touch ground for a few seconds, and minimal damage is ever done, apart from a few damaged roof tiles!
However, on the 28th of July 2005, Birmingham in the UK, (about 60 miles from us), suffered the worst recorded tornado here doing considerable damage to houses! As for supercells, sadly no, but I would love to see one first hand!

I remember that one very well..! I was a bus driver in the area at the time, and while I didn't see it happen personally (I was off duty that day), it affected a couple of my routes and we had some extremely cumbersome diversions for quite a while.

Ria in Aberdeen
It'll be all right in the end, and if it isn't all right, it isn't the end Love

CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Re: Its severe weather season! Be prepared for it! « Reply #268 on: February 08, 2020, 09:20:49 PM » Author: CEB1993
According to reliable sources, England has the most tornadoes per square mile.

https://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/world-records/most-tornadoes-by-area/

We had an official report of an F1 tornado touching down in Spartanburg county, South Carolina. This storm caused considerable damage including ripping the garage door off the back of a Home Depot building.

Last Thursday, we had a lighting strike about 100 yards away from my workplace and torrential rain. The wind wasnít too bad, but we had lots of thunder and the humidity was oppressive. The lake near my house flooded and the ground continues to be saturated and at risk for future flooding. Two days later it snowed! If you donít like the weather in South Carolina, wait 5 minutes haha! February tends to be a weather wild card for us and this year itís been especially interesting. 

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Its severe weather season! Be prepared for it! « Reply #269 on: February 09, 2020, 08:59:58 AM » Author: Cole D.
Thursday evening, around 11 there was strong wind and rain here when I went to sleep. But apparently early Friday morning, there was lightning also. Not really any damage due to the storm here though.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

Print 
© 2005-2020 Lighting-Gallery.net | Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines