Author Topic: You lighting fails!  (Read 4639 times)
Binarix128

View Posts
View Gallery
220V AC 50Hz, NTSC

GoL UCOUT2noI2R__jgPSJUjGRtA
You lighting fails! « on: April 14, 2019, 01:20:59 PM » Author: Binarix128
Do you do any lighting fail, connect a discharge lamp direct to the local current meaning was a SBMV, or accidentally smashed an old lamp. Me too:

2 years ago, i maked a homemade lamp with a PLASTIC LAMPHOLDER, for connect a 160W SBMV lamp! and actually the lampholder is melted!  ;D ;D And I tried to glow the fluorescent tube filaments with a 12V power supply, or chech the fluorescent tubes are not broken with a kitchen lighter!  ;D ;D ;D

https://www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/displayimage.php?album=5197&pos=9&pid=157668

https://www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/displayimage.php?album=5197&pos=0&pid=158496

https://www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/displayimage.php?album=5226&pos=0&pid=158495

https://www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/displayimage.php?album=5226&pos=10&pid=157696
fluorescent lover 40

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: You lighting fails! « Reply #1 on: April 14, 2019, 10:07:22 PM » Author: fluorescent lover 40
I had a plug-to-light socket adapter with a 2-outlet-light-socket combo with a pull chain switch where the chain shorted at the plug and tripped the circuit breaker. I broke a few light bulbs as well. One broke by stacking it on top of another to which it fell of and broke on the other ::) It was rare too.  :'( The second one broke by a light falling off my bed and smashing it, and the third one broke by a desk lamp falling on top of it apparently.  ::)
Fluorescent05

View Posts
View Gallery

Zack

Re: You lighting fails! « Reply #2 on: April 28, 2019, 02:13:28 PM » Author: Fluorescent05
I once connected a 50 watt mercury vapor lamp to 120v thinking I connected it to a ballast that I had made. I ended up plugging the socket with the mercury lamp in it into the wall and plugging the ballast box into itself. ;D Luckily the lamp was only a modern Sylvania.

I can't pretend a stranger is a long awaited friend. -Neil Peart

Binarix128

View Posts
View Gallery
220V AC 50Hz, NTSC

Re: You lighting fails! « Reply #3 on: June 24, 2019, 11:18:28 PM » Author: Binarix128
 ;D ;D ;D ::)
Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: You lighting fails! « Reply #4 on: June 25, 2019, 12:31:39 AM » Author: Lumex120
Hmmm... let's see:
-Had a clear 60w Duro-test AT19 roll off of a shelf and shatter on a CARPETED floor.
-Somehow improperly wired a 150w HPS CWA ballast from an M250R2 and had it start shooting flames... in my room. I couldn't get the smell out for weeks.
-Dropped a fluorescent aquarium light in the water while it was still on.
Not related to lighting but I ended up making chlorine gas when I was trying to make a hydrogen generator for my 8th grade science fair. Apparently you aren't supposed to use salt water but instead baking soda water.

I also have done tons of other really stupid things when I didn't know better. Fortunately I have a little more common sense now. ;D
I once connected a 50 watt mercury vapor lamp to 120v thinking I connected it to a ballast that I had made. I ended up plugging the socket with the mercury lamp in it into the wall and plugging the ballast box into itself. ;D Luckily the lamp was only a modern Sylvania.
what did it look like when it was turned on?

Unofficial LG Discord

fluorescent lover 40

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: You lighting fails! « Reply #5 on: June 25, 2019, 01:53:18 AM » Author: fluorescent lover 40
-Put a 50w HPS lamp on a 320w PSMH ballast. The lamp exploded on the carpet. Almost ended up burning the entire house down.
-Destroyed a couple of vintage lamp packages.
-Killing a whole bunch of useful working lamps for some reason (F40s, C7s, etc. No HIDs fortunately.)
Fluorescent05

View Posts
View Gallery

Zack

Re: You lighting fails! « Reply #6 on: June 25, 2019, 06:50:18 AM » Author: Fluorescent05
Hmmm... let's see:
what did it look like when it was turned on?
It just flashed brightly once, the arctube cracked, and it never worked again. The outer bulb stayed intact. I'm lucky it didn't explode because this was in my grandma's house.

Fluorescent05

View Posts
View Gallery

Zack

Re: You lighting fails! « Reply #7 on: June 25, 2019, 06:52:42 AM » Author: Fluorescent05
-Put a 50w HPS lamp on a 320w PSMH ballast. The lamp exploded on the carpet. Almost ended up burning the entire house down.
-Destroyed a couple of vintage lamp packages.
-Killing a whole bunch of useful working lamps for some reason (F40s, C7s, etc. No HIDs fortunately.)

Did the 50 watt HPS immediately explode? If not, what did it do before exploding?

LightsDelight

View Posts
View Gallery

Fred Dirst is watching you

UCp-ouYxSgmqTWUY4RGWyAFg rollaman82
Re: You lighting fails! « Reply #8 on: July 02, 2019, 09:44:33 AM » Author: LightsDelight
- I threw a circline :circ: at the back fence.
- I ran a 80W mv strait on 240V no ballast
- I tried to install a nice old 40w fluorescent but it slipped out of my hands and onto the floor
- I tried to wind my own 175W mv choke but I was off by a zero in the calculations so I had too little turns, I plugged it onto 240V knowing that the impedance would let it limit the current except it went off with a bang and tripped the MCB

Keep discharge lighting alive

LightsDelight

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: You lighting fails! « Reply #9 on: July 02, 2019, 09:51:44 AM » Author: LightsDelight
hahaha :D. It is very entertaining to watch them on mains without current limiting.

- I got a zap off an igniter before
- I got a belt from 240V because I forgot to insulate switch terminals
- And I got a belt from a lamp, I had my hand on the exposed metal bit on the outside of an E40 base and had my arm on the earthed case and it made me jump back a metre and tripped the RCD

Binarix128

View Posts
View Gallery
220V AC 50Hz, NTSC

Re: You lighting fails! « Reply #10 on: July 05, 2019, 11:19:53 PM » Author: Binarix128
- I ran a 80W mv strait on 240V no ballast

¿What happened when you ran the MV directly to the house power line?
LightsDelight

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: You lighting fails! « Reply #11 on: July 05, 2019, 11:21:23 PM » Author: LightsDelight
Ithe arc tube melted and popped before any thing major happened

Binarix128

View Posts
View Gallery
220V AC 50Hz, NTSC

Re: You lighting fails! « Reply #12 on: July 05, 2019, 11:27:19 PM » Author: Binarix128
Ithe arc tube melted and popped before any thing major happened
WOW!  :a_mv:
fluorescent lover 40

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: You lighting fails! « Reply #13 on: July 06, 2019, 01:29:46 AM » Author: fluorescent lover 40
Did the 50 watt HPS immediately explode? If not, what did it do before exploding?
Ran metal halide white for a minute, then... Kaboom! Part of the sodium was smoldering on the carpet, white hot.
Fluorescent05

View Posts
View Gallery

Zack

Re: You lighting fails! « Reply #14 on: July 06, 2019, 12:56:48 PM » Author: Fluorescent05
Ran metal halide white for a minute, then... Kaboom! Part of the sodium was smoldering on the carpet, white hot.
Do you have pictures of it?

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies