Author Topic: SOX Lamp Info needed !  (Read 2254 times)
wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

SOX Lamp Info needed ! « on: April 27, 2019, 09:09:06 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
Hi everyone, I just got my first SOX lamp ! It's a 135w Phillips I don't know much about them so what do I need to know so i can have this lamp for a long time to come !
I do know to run horizontal only and that's about it !
Proper use, storage and handling advice will be Greatly Appreciated !

Thanks, Wide-Lite 1000  (aka Tim )

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

funkybulb

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: SOX Lamp Info needed ! « Reply #1 on: April 28, 2019, 08:36:14 AM » Author: funkybulb
 you would  want  bit of Tilt to keep sodium away from
cathode.  and never run lamp  base down  if you want very short life.   let  LPS  cool down to solid sodium before putting it away. 

No LED gadgets, spins too slowly.  Gotta  love preheat and MV. let the lights keep my meter spinning.

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: SOX Lamp Info needed ! « Reply #2 on: April 28, 2019, 02:32:55 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
you would  want  bit of Tilt to keep sodium away from
cathode.  and never run lamp  base down  if you want very short life.   let  LPS  cool down to solid sodium before putting it away. 

Thanks for the info ! I'm starting to see why some people like these so much:  1) It puts out a LOT of light for 135w (albeit VERY yellow) 2) It produces very little heat. 3) for how bright it is there is a surprisingly low amount of glare. I'll admit, the CRI sucks but all things considered, I think I like it !!

lights*plus

View Posts
View Gallery

George Liv Photo

GoL george.liv.37 UC_OfF2pa6aOcXLAut16jw9g
Re: SOX Lamp Info needed ! « Reply #3 on: May 11, 2019, 04:05:29 AM » Author: lights*plus
So yeah, the idea is to let the sodium droplets solidify before moving the lamp. Even if you don't tilt the lamp, and even if inside a lantern, it's possible to slosh molten sodium around by simply moving it after operating.
lights*plus

View Posts
View Gallery

George Liv Photo

Re: SOX Lamp Info needed ! « Reply #4 on: May 11, 2019, 04:13:50 AM » Author: lights*plus
I forgot to ask, how are you lighting your 135w lamp? with a 135/180 watt magnetic ballast?

Did you know that it puts out as much light as a 250w HPS lamp? Run with the magnetic ballast it consumes about 185watts as compared to about 290watts for a 250w HPS lamp; with nearly same amount of light
wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: SOX Lamp Info needed ! « Reply #5 on: May 11, 2019, 12:10:25 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
I forgot to ask, how are you lighting your 135w lamp? with a 135/180 watt magnetic ballast?

Did you know that it puts out as much light as a 250w HPS lamp? Run with the magnetic ballast it consumes about 185watts as compared to about 290watts for a 250w HPS lamp; with nearly same amount of light

It's in my Norelco LPS streetlight, it's rated for 135/180 lamps and has a magnetic ballast. It's in my gallery.
And I did compare the lumen ratings with other HID's. Now, to find a 180w that doesn't cost an arm & a leg (that 135w looks "small" in that HUGE light!)

lights*plus

View Posts
View Gallery

George Liv Photo

Re: SOX Lamp Info needed ! « Reply #6 on: May 11, 2019, 04:10:19 PM » Author: lights*plus
Thanks for the heads-up. Also unlit here (Norelco 135/180w SOX luminaire:
https://www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-158669
https://www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-158670

Is the top made out of plastic, aluminum or fiberglass?
wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: SOX Lamp Info needed ! « Reply #7 on: May 12, 2019, 02:21:53 AM » Author: wide-lite 1000
Most of this light appears to be plastic ! the only metal is the slip fitter/gear compartment  frame which appears to be cast aluminum. The refractor, gear compartment door, and the upper housing are all some kind of plastic !

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies