Author Topic: Wikipedia anyone languages version has been GFWed (banned) in China  (Read 4355 times)
Men of God

View Posts
View Gallery

jiachao.wei.71 chao_813975447 UChyTpXvlQ8ZCfBPP_lJjubg chao990613
Wikipedia anyone languages version has been GFWed (banned) in China « on: May 11, 2019, 11:34:09 PM » Author: Men of God
Now I really don't know what the government wants to do. My homework was done by Wikipedia before. It was blocked by the whole station on April 23 this year. What do members think?

What is even more ironic is that we want to build a "network power", and this word has been dubbed "network wall country" by our Chinese netizens. It is estimated that Xi Jinping will resume the Mao Zedong era

« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 05:51:49 AM by Men of God » Logged

我不会英文,所以我用中文,请你们用翻译网站翻译我打的字!

I can't in English, so I in Chinese, please use the translation website to translate my words!

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Wikipedia anyone languages version has been GFWed (banned) in China « Reply #1 on: May 13, 2019, 02:35:07 PM » Author: Ash
There are in fact many things you can do, like using a VPN, or building a local cache of visited information, that you can continue using offline

Question is what are you trying to achieve, who else you may want or not want to benefit from it, and what security precautions against your government you must apply (based on what efforts they put into finding out such things)
takemorepills

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Wikipedia anyone languages version has been GFWed (banned) in China « Reply #2 on: May 15, 2019, 12:17:22 AM » Author: takemorepills
I used to live in China during the Hu Jin Tao era.

It was very nice back then, I felt we had much more freedom at that time. I didn't need any special tricks to access USA websites.

These days, it seems Xi Jin Ping is becoming somewhat xenophobic and nationalistic.

I am going to China for the first time in 10 years, and I am apprehensive about it. Although, I am going to spend most of my time in Shanghai (we have an apartment in SH) and Shanghai is a very open city, I am hoping that Xi Jin Ping doesn't have much influence over Shanghai.

Personally, I miss the "old" China. But, I also miss the "old" USA also. Seems everybody is going backwards!
Men of God

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Wikipedia anyone languages version has been GFWed (banned) in China « Reply #3 on: May 15, 2019, 04:10:55 AM » Author: Men of God
Yes, so I said at the beginning that Xi Jinping wants to restore the Mao Zedong era!
Many foreign websites were accessible directly before Xi Jinping took office. Even I used Chinese Wikipedia and Japanese Wikipedia. After it came to power, the shielding became very casual! As long as the content of the website has criticized Xi Jinping, it is all blocked! In 2018, blocking became particularly casual, and even websites that did not provide Chinese services in small languages, such as Korean, were blocked by the whole station As you know, shielding Involve  in all areas, the most typical is the Japanese website, for example, on March 29 this year, the Japanese animation barrage site NICONICO was blocked by the whole station, just because there are comments on Xi Jinping's content of the film. Anyway, our Chinese people will have a hard time in the future …
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 04:13:42 AM by Men of God » Logged

I can't in English, so I in Chinese, please use the translation website to translate my words!

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Wikipedia anyone languages version has been GFWed (banned) in China « Reply #4 on: May 15, 2019, 05:09:57 PM » Author: Ash
I can confirm the same about Israel. On the face there is a democracy and freedoms of communication etc, but if you look into legislation that keeps passing "in the background", or into isolated incidents, it doesn't look right. Yet it doesn't seem to bother the average population, and some of them are glad that things are done "for their safety" etc

Internet regulation in China : Can different regions have different GFW settings ?
Men of God

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Wikipedia anyone languages version has been GFWed (banned) in China « Reply #5 on: May 15, 2019, 08:47:27 PM » Author: Men of God
No, as long as a blockade is a national blockade, except Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan!

Men of God

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Wikipedia anyone languages version has been GFWed (banned) in China « Reply #6 on: May 17, 2019, 07:02:04 AM » Author: Men of God
Today,I found ERROR CODE it's " ERR-CONNECTION-RESET",The blockade has been reinforced again,

kai

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Wikipedia anyone languages version has been GFWed (banned) in China « Reply #7 on: August 02, 2019, 05:57:15 PM » Author: kai
What do members think?
It already feels like a wonder to me that I can here in Germany get your thoughts through an American website. The "GFW" matter is well known here, recently a number of German media websites have been blocked in China, too.

I also saw a comment from someone who works for a German company in China, living there with his family and using a VPN connection because already for his children a life without Youtube etc.etc. is inconceivable. The comment on reports about VPN services probably being outlawed in future: If this comes then we'll leave.

The big concern is that this whole approach could be adopted elsewhere. Such a trend is already obvious in Africa.

Just one further remark (which, I think, I already left as comment under a photo here) from some discussion of the future in general: It's a future no one really wants.
takemorepills

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Wikipedia anyone languages version has been GFWed (banned) in China « Reply #8 on: August 02, 2019, 11:03:30 PM » Author: takemorepills
I just came back from China.

The GFW is super f'ed up. I feel like Xi Jin Ping is the most insecure jerk in the world. Yeah, I get it, you have to keep 1.xx billion people "calm", but this guy literally touts himself every chance you can get.

In China you can not access Google, for example, amongst many other things. So, I used BaiDu whilst I was there. When you first open the BaiDu website, 90% of the time you are met with a headline about something so great about Xi Jin Ping. Oh, Xi Jin Ping wrote a darn book! Oh, Xi Jin Ping implores people to study more! Oh, Xi Jin Ping rode a horse today! As far as I am concerned, he is a small-handed Mr. Empty Pants.

To make matters worse, usually the 3rd item down on the BaiDu homepage is how much Japan sucks (according to China). China has to remind people of how evil Japan USED to be so that Chinese people will have something to hate (all humans need an adversary) and won't look inward at the issues in China. "Hey look over there, the Japanese are terrible people!" Whilst Uighurs are put into "re-education" centers.

Probably the most frustrating thing for me, as a happy US citizen, is that in China the media has it's nose DEEP into Xi Jin Ping's rear end, and in USA the media just keeps blasting our current President. You have a culture that kisses the but of an appointed, NOT ELECTED President who went so far as to grant himself President-forever, but in USA we attack a freely elected President.
Americans don't know how good we have it.

Everywhere I went in China, a CCTV in my face. Cross street? 16 CCTV's at intersection. 8 CCTV's mid block. Facial recognition at airport, train station, hotel, grocery store. It is a DYSTOPIA.

I've been going to China since 2001, I hope to NEVER go back until things are set right.
Fluorescent05

View Posts
View Gallery

Zack

Re: Wikipedia anyone languages version has been GFWed (banned) in China « Reply #9 on: August 03, 2019, 09:24:59 AM » Author: Fluorescent05
I just came back from China.

The GFW is super f'ed up. I feel like Xi Jin Ping is the most insecure jerk in the world. Yeah, I get it, you have to keep 1.xx billion people "calm", but this guy literally touts himself every chance you can get.

In China you can not access Google, for example, amongst many other things. So, I used BaiDu whilst I was there. When you first open the BaiDu website, 90% of the time you are met with a headline about something so great about Xi Jin Ping. Oh, Xi Jin Ping wrote a darn book! Oh, Xi Jin Ping implores people to study more! Oh, Xi Jin Ping rode a horse today! As far as I am concerned, he is a small-handed Mr. Empty Pants.

To make matters worse, usually the 3rd item down on the BaiDu homepage is how much Japan sucks (according to China). China has to remind people of how evil Japan USED to be so that Chinese people will have something to hate (all humans need an adversary) and won't look inward at the issues in China. "Hey look over there, the Japanese are terrible people!" Whilst Uighurs are put into "re-education" centers.

Probably the most frustrating thing for me, as a happy US citizen, is that in China the media has it's nose DEEP into Xi Jin Ping's rear end, and in USA the media just keeps blasting our current President. You have a culture that kisses the but of an appointed, NOT ELECTED President who went so far as to grant himself President-forever, but in USA we attack a freely elected President.
Americans don't know how good we have it.

Everywhere I went in China, a CCTV in my face. Cross street? 16 CCTV's at intersection. 8 CCTV's mid block. Facial recognition at airport, train station, hotel, grocery store. It is a DYSTOPIA.

I've been going to China since 2001, I hope to NEVER go back until things are set right.
Sounds exactly like Big Brother from the book 1984!

I can't pretend a stranger is a long awaited friend. -Neil Peart

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies