Author Topic: Losing interest in lighting due to the ubiquitous, omnipresent LED  (Read 10753 times)
BlueHalide

View Posts
View Gallery

Losing interest in lighting due to the ubiquitous, omnipresent LED « on: July 12, 2019, 10:51:36 PM » Author: BlueHalide
Anyone else with me? I havent posted on here in ages as its been a very long time since ive come across anything unusual or interesting in the field. I find myself getting "nostalgic" these days when I walk into a building that is still using electronic T8...crazy right? The gas-discharge technologies of yesteryear that intrigued me are nearly totally absent from my daily work (most of you know im an electrician). Installing the same mundane, boring LED troffers, high bays, and wallpacks, all with the same boring 5000K/3500K cct just doesnt really interest me anymore. The town I live has finally completely converted from the 70's era mercury vapor cobraheads to a menagerie of LED fittings of varying quality.
Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: Losing interest in lighting due to the ubiquitous, omnipresent LED « Reply #1 on: July 12, 2019, 11:15:48 PM » Author: Lumex120
I feel the EXACT same way. I have been in to lighting since I was at least 3. I always thought it was fun to watch HPS streetlights turn on or look at all the different kinds of fluorescent lights. (when I was that age CFLs were all the rage and I thought they were the coolest thing ever). For some reason the whole lighting thing has always been big for me. I have other hobbies now, and I'm really starting to loose interest too. Don't get me wrong, it's cool having a nice variety of lights and light sources in a collection, but when you don't really see the stuff you have "out there" it just feels kind of boring. In one area of my town (the "downtown" part with lots of businesses and stores) there isn't a single non-LED light in site for almost a mile. Lighting has always been a big hobby for me but I'm really loosing interest now and I'm starting to get into other things like music production (stuff like EDM) I had wanted to pursue a career such as being an electrician (like you) but this whole LED thing has kind of made me lose interest in electrical stuff period. Oh well, guess I was born 20 years too late.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 11:18:01 PM by Lumex120 » Logged

Unofficial LG Discord

fluorescent lover 40

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Losing interest in lighting due to the ubiquitous, omnipresent LED « Reply #2 on: July 13, 2019, 12:02:17 AM » Author: fluorescent lover 40
I wasn't into lighting until like five years ago. I started collecting (with permission from my parents) two years later. To be honest, here in California, there are still vintage things out there. Despite my town being LED, there are still some HPS lights (reproduction teardrops and some safety lights) so I can still feel at LEAST some warmth. Lots of people still use HID and fluorescent but it's disappearing day by day. I do hate LED, but even if I don't see a single non-LED light around me, I won't give up.
mefurd98

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Losing interest in lighting due to the ubiquitous, omnipresent LED « Reply #3 on: July 13, 2019, 12:21:15 AM » Author: mefurd98
I feel like I've gone from just collecting as a side hobby to a mission of saving as many lamps and fixtures as I can. Mostly MV and HPS. Because one day, if we don't save as many fixtures as we can, they will all be scrapped and made history and we will just be stuck with boring LED fixtures. I want to preserve lighting history, not just let it end up in a scrapyard. :mv: :inc: :hps:
Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Losing interest in lighting due to the ubiquitous, omnipresent LED « Reply #4 on: July 13, 2019, 12:36:11 AM » Author: Cole D.
Fortunately my area is still mostly HPS an some MV
and MH for now. There is some LED mostly fot highways. And there's still a lot of fluorescent around.

I just got back my interest in lighting about two years ago and joined this site. I don't hate LED but I'm definitely glad I got into collecting before it takes over completely.

To me I love seeing older fixtures in use I agree. If they were only seen in my collection and only LED was out there it would indeed be boring.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

mefurd98

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Losing interest in lighting due to the ubiquitous, omnipresent LED « Reply #5 on: July 13, 2019, 01:10:20 AM » Author: mefurd98
Most everything around here is still HID and i hope it remains that way for a while. But my city does have areas that are lit by LED streetlights
AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich

Re: Losing interest in lighting due to the ubiquitous, omnipresent LED « Reply #6 on: July 13, 2019, 01:31:29 AM » Author: AngryHorse
Yeah, I suppose when you were born makes a difference, I was lucky, born in 1972 I grew up with both MV and LPS street lighting, then the move to HPS in the 90s here means I got to see all 3 main HID lamp in use for street lighting.
It was our five foot fluorescent at home that got me interested in lighting at about age 8!, I was also lucky enough to collect in that 20 year period when EVERYTHING was still available off the shelf, and spent most of the 90s making different lighting boards.

But the onslaught of LED hasn’t stopped my interest, I have a vast collection of LED lamps now also, and their interesting to me in their own way.
The CFL age here wasn’t that interesting, as we could only normally get them in the UK in one colour, (2700K), but LED are a available here in all the colours, shapes and sizes, and that in itself is an interesting thing to collect.

As for LED street lighting, I rather like ours, it’s nice to see the streets lit in white again, (after 30 odd years of orange), like the old MV lamps I first remember.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2019, 01:33:32 AM by AngryHorse » Logged

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

"Beauty fades, dumb is forever".......Judge Judy :D

RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Losing interest in lighting due to the ubiquitous, omnipresent LED « Reply #7 on: July 13, 2019, 01:38:00 AM » Author: RyanF40T12
Yup, i hear ya.  I'm replacing all the incandescent and CFL bulbs with LED 2700 and 3000k.  I HATE the daylight/5000k color and have only installed a handful of them in select fixtures.  I Much like the 3000 and 3500 and even 4000k LED colors more.  We're still using T8 fluorescent at most of my 20+ church buildings, and I still have 3 buildings that still have some T12 fixtures yet to be converted so I am happy about that. 

The more you hate the LED movement, the stronger it becomes.

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich

Re: Losing interest in lighting due to the ubiquitous, omnipresent LED « Reply #8 on: July 13, 2019, 01:50:52 AM » Author: AngryHorse
Totally agree there, 3000K is a gorgeous colour for the home  :D, it’s a nice mix of colour without being too warm or too cool, I’m finding myself using more 3000K colour in the house now, I do like the daylight colour, my kitchen units have 6000K at the top, an 2700K at the bottom which gives a nice effect at night!

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

"Beauty fades, dumb is forever".......Judge Judy :D

Binarix128

View Posts
View Gallery
220V AC 50Hz, NTSC

GoL UCOUT2noI2R__jgPSJUjGRtA
Re: Losing interest in lighting due to the ubiquitous, omnipresent LED « Reply #9 on: July 13, 2019, 06:57:46 PM » Author: Binarix128
Totally agree there, 3000K is a gorgeous colour for the home  :D, it’s a nice mix of colour without being too warm or too cool, I’m finding myself using more 3000K colour in the house now, I do like the daylight colour, my kitchen units have 6000K at the top, an 2700K at the bottom which gives a nice effect at night!
4000K and 3000K are my favorite white tones, are relaxing colors!  :)
joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Losing interest in lighting due to the ubiquitous, omnipresent LED « Reply #10 on: July 13, 2019, 11:00:47 PM » Author: joseph_125
Yeah LED has really taken off in streetlighting and commercial lighting over the past few years but over here there's still a good number of places with traditional lighting left. Toronto still has 90% HID streetlighting and it seems like a lot of older commercial buildings still use conventional lighting. I occasionally see indoor MV recessed cans still in use too. Some are missouts from a later MH/LED retrofit, some never got retrofitted. T12 is a bit rare to see in larger buildings but T8 is still common around here.

I am rather fortunate though that I started collecting around 10 years ago before LED really took off. 
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Losing interest in lighting due to the ubiquitous, omnipresent LED « Reply #11 on: July 14, 2019, 12:17:12 AM » Author: dor123
I've similar feeling that my interest in general lighting is going down, and that my hobby turning into a niche. There are lots of things that I've yet seen in my real life like horticluture HPS lamps, hot restrike of probe-start MH lamps on autoregulator ballasts, after heating them enough to close their bi-metal (This should cause them to restrike without the appearance of the aux discharge firstly), and I want to see a HG free HPS lamp of one of the manufacturers closeup to ensure that the golden orange ones that I've seen in streetlighting, are actually the ones without mercury. Also, I can't get an Osram HCI-TS 70W/830 or 930 and an Osram NAV-TS 70W 4Y in Israel normally, and need to buy online.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

streetlight98

View Posts
View Gallery

Mike McCann

GoL Mike McCann 88219189@N04/albums
Re: Losing interest in lighting due to the ubiquitous, omnipresent LED « Reply #12 on: July 14, 2019, 12:55:14 PM » Author: streetlight98
It is depressing to see all the old lights being replaced with LEDs. It hasn't killed my interest in the old stuff though. If anything I'm more interested than ever in hoarding any old discharge stuff I can find lol. Especially mercury vapor and magnetic fluorescent. I'm stocking up on HID lamps and fluorescent lamps because the new lamps are junk and probably won't even be made on a large scale in 10 years.

I'm actually taking an interest in some LED lights, particularly the street lights. The indoor LED lights don't interest me much. I like filament LED bulbs though. I'd actually rather use them than incandescent lamps!

Please check out my newly-updated website! McCann Lighting Company is where my street light collection is displayed in detail.

RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Losing interest in lighting due to the ubiquitous, omnipresent LED « Reply #13 on: July 14, 2019, 02:49:55 PM » Author: RyanF40T12
For a lot of you younger folks (younger than 40) you'll find your lighting passion will wain.. like a mercury starved Philips Alto U Bend tube.  It won't ever burn out completely, but will dim for other more.. practical passions and priorities in life.  Not to worry though. 

The more you hate the LED movement, the stronger it becomes.

kai

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Losing interest in lighting due to the ubiquitous, omnipresent LED « Reply #14 on: August 02, 2019, 05:15:39 PM » Author: kai
The CFL age here wasn’t that interesting
What I find really interesting is how quickly this era came to an end, within just three years or so. Some CFL-related taglines are still around on this site, reminding of this past.

As for LED street lighting, I rather like ours, it’s nice to see the streets lit in white again, (after 30 odd years of orange), like the old MV lamps I first remember.
Exactly the same for me.

Not too long ago HPS bashing was a standard feature of this site as well. It was impressive to observe how quickly this changed completely when the return of the white light took off.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies