Author Topic: And so it ends  (Read 21616 times)
HomeBrewLamps
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: And so it ends « Reply #60 on: November 11, 2019, 08:49:26 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
35 watt is my new favorite HPS lamp due to it being of manageable brightness. I plan to stock many.

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: And so it ends « Reply #61 on: November 11, 2019, 11:20:56 PM » Author: Lumex120
How long until other lamps cease production?

There can't be that many 35 watt HPS fixtures around, and only somewhat more 50 watters. Mercury vapor there's still an awful lot of 175 and 250 watt yardblasters and NEMA heads but how many larger and smaller wattages?
Well from what I have seen 35w HPS wallpacks are pretty common so I'd imagine 35w HPS at least will still be available for a while longer.

Unofficial LG Discord

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: And so it ends « Reply #62 on: November 11, 2019, 11:36:40 PM » Author: joseph_125
Yeah, I've seen 35w HPS around in wallpacks but 50w MV is another story. I don't think I've seen a 50w MV fixture in the wild before.

Still thinking of getting some more 35w HPS lamps and gear though.
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: And so it ends « Reply #63 on: November 12, 2019, 10:18:49 AM » Author: Rommie
How long until other lamps cease production?

There can't be that many 35 watt HPS fixtures around, and only somewhat more 50 watters. Mercury vapor there's still an awful lot of 175 and 250 watt yardblasters and NEMA heads but how many larger and smaller wattages?

I may be wrong, but now that the Hamilton factory has closed, I don't think that there are any lamp manufacturers in the UK any more  :'(

There are still a few HPS street lamps and car park lights around here, but not all that many now, I don't think it will be long before LED claims its last victim  :'(

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

HPS_250

View Posts
View Gallery

Long live the HPS and SOX!

UCAjfrNb4v77ybEBBYqxZxiw
Re: And so it ends « Reply #64 on: January 06, 2020, 07:24:21 PM » Author: HPS_250
That’s just sad. Imagine if LEDs never came, and then high efficiency HIDs like low pressure sodium and HIDs with good CRI like ceramic metal halide would have actually gotten a chance.

I’ve always been interested in all kinds of lighting, mainly incandescent and HID, and especially all kinds of sodium lamps (HPS/LPS). I’ll tolerate LED but I’m not a fan of it.
I’m not proud to say that my city has Devolved to LED.

Roi_hartmann

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: And so it ends « Reply #65 on: January 07, 2020, 12:19:48 AM » Author: Roi_hartmann
That’s just sad. Imagine if LEDs never came, and then high efficiency HIDs like low pressure sodium and HIDs with good CRI like ceramic metal halide would have actually gotten a chance.
LPS was around for many decades so I don't understand what do you mean by that.

Aamulla aurinko, illalla AIRAM

HPS_250

View Posts
View Gallery

UCAjfrNb4v77ybEBBYqxZxiw
Re: And so it ends « Reply #66 on: January 07, 2020, 10:11:58 AM » Author: HPS_250
If LEDs didn’t come, then LPS would have been kept as the most efficient light source.

I’ve always been interested in all kinds of lighting, mainly incandescent and HID, and especially all kinds of sodium lamps (HPS/LPS). I’ll tolerate LED but I’m not a fan of it.

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: And so it ends « Reply #67 on: January 07, 2020, 10:18:58 AM » Author: Mandolin Girl
If LEDs didn’t come, then LPS would have been kept as the most efficient light source.
What killed LPS is the drive towards "Lovely White Light"  >:(

We had the chance to drive along a stretch of motorway lit by 180W SOX lamps, and the visibility was brilliant.!  ;D

You don't need good colour rendering for driving, and what you do need is provided by your headlights.!!  :a_sox:

As is proved by this YouTube video.!!
« Last Edit: January 07, 2020, 11:53:02 AM by Mandolin Girl » Logged

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

HPS_250

View Posts
View Gallery

UCAjfrNb4v77ybEBBYqxZxiw
Re: And so it ends « Reply #68 on: January 07, 2020, 08:07:27 PM » Author: HPS_250
Those look great! You don’t really need color rendering for driving, so SOX can be used on roads while LEDs are used indoors where CRI is required.

Roi_hartmann

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: And so it ends « Reply #69 on: January 08, 2020, 12:28:56 AM » Author: Roi_hartmann
Maybe not for driving, but as they changed the street outside my apartment from hps to led everything outside looks now way better because you can actually see the colors. If it was a motorway where I would just drive by I wouldn't mind what sort of light it has but as for residential street where people move around in ways other than jyst car it's nice to see colors.

Aamulla aurinko, illalla AIRAM

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: And so it ends « Reply #70 on: January 08, 2020, 07:38:28 AM » Author: Mandolin Girl
Maybe not for driving, but as they changed the street outside my apartment from hps to led everything outside looks now way better because you can actually see the colors. If it was a motorway where I would just drive by I wouldn't mind what sort of light it has but as for residential street where people move around in ways other than jyst car it's nice to see colors.
We would still prefer to have LPS lighting everywhere, maybe it's because we grew up in the era of seeing black and white television programmes and can make the mental adjustment to know what the actual colour is of things.  :-\

I have problems seeing details in low light conditions, and having the light from LPS or HID sources helps me a lot.

Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber

HomeBrewLamps
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: And so it ends « Reply #71 on: January 08, 2020, 09:01:46 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
LED's are gonna create a rediculous amount of sky glow.

That's what they're doing here in neighboring cities.

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

View Posts
View Gallery

Tha SOX MADMANNN

Re: And so it ends « Reply #72 on: January 10, 2020, 06:22:34 AM » Author: 589
LED's are gonna create a rediculous amount of sky glow.

That's what they're doing here in neighboring cities.

Reduced sky glow was supposed to be an advantage of LED, whoops!

:lps:

View Posts
View Gallery

Tha SOX MADMANNN

Re: And so it ends « Reply #73 on: January 10, 2020, 09:05:40 PM » Author: 589
Yes, hence the whoops!

The main interstates in ATL are still all HPS but most cobraheads everywhere else have been converted to LED.

:lps:

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: And so it ends « Reply #74 on: January 22, 2020, 04:41:55 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
I was watching the video about driving under SOX light again, and at 6:12 in you see one that has succumbed to LED.!  >:(

What a glare bomb it is.  :o :(

Published Author ;D
James Thurber

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies