Author Topic: Suggestions for fixture restoration.  (Read 1343 times)
NiMo

View Posts
View Gallery

Suggestions for fixture restoration. « on: November 29, 2008, 05:57:25 PM » Author: NiMo
As you all are aware, whenever I get another addition to my collection, the first order of business is to clean and restore the luminaire as best I can.  Alot of it is pure trial and error as far as cleaning and paint.

Now I can confidently say I have a couple of suggestions for fixture cleaning and restoration:

First, there is a product on the market called Bar Keeper's Friend.  This is a powdered cleanser that cleans darn near everything in sight.  I use it all the time on fixture housings before I paint them, I also use it on refractors to clean them.  Works very well on either glass or plastic.  I've had rust stains and heavy dirt buildup just simply disappear with BKF and a well worn Scotchbrite pad.

Second, smaller parts I try to wirewheel clean.  Sometimes the rust is just so embedded that there isn't much I can do.  Other times the parts come out factory fresh.

Just a couple of hints for you, if you have others please share them with the Gallery. 

Group Replacement, Baby

lite_lover

View Posts
View Gallery

Darren

GoL darren.harward
Re: Suggestions for fixture restoration. « Reply #1 on: November 29, 2008, 08:17:36 PM » Author: lite_lover
Thanks NiMo for sharing your cleaning hints/suggestions with us,I will have to see if Bar Keeper's Friend is available in Canada.

The brighter the better.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies