Author Topic: Turn signal sounds  (Read 5477 times)
CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Turn signal sounds « Reply #15 on: December 08, 2019, 07:19:39 PM » Author: CEB1993
I've always found it interesting how turn signals sound.  I think it's code that all street legal cars must have an audible turn signal "clicking."  Two things I've noticed is that if a blinker light bulb has burnt out, the blinker clicks twice as fast on the side where the burnt out bulb is.  Also, some cars have different sounding clicks.  With my old VW Jetta, it was a metallic "click, click, click" that came from a relay device in the middle of the dash.  It was loud, but sounded a little cheap and unsubstantial. In my new car, the Subaru Legacy I like the turn signal much more.  It's a solid, deeper sounding "plop, plop, plop" that sounds like it's coming from a luxury car.

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Turn signal sounds « Reply #16 on: December 09, 2019, 03:40:39 PM » Author: Medved
I've always found it interesting how turn signals sound.  I think it's code that all street legal cars must have an audible turn signal "clicking."  Two things I've noticed is that if a blinker light bulb has burnt out, the blinker clicks twice as fast on the side where the burnt out bulb is.  Also, some cars have different sounding clicks.  With my old VW Jetta, it was a metallic "click, click, click" that came from a relay device in the middle of the dash.  It was loud, but sounded a little cheap and unsubstantial. In my new car, the Subaru Legacy I like the turn signal much more.  It's a solid, deeper sounding "plop, plop, plop" that sounds like it's coming from a luxury car.

Actually it is the Cote, what requires the turn signal system to detect a faulty lamp and speed up as a way to let driver know the problem. This requirement is as old as the flasher type turn signals alone (before flashers, the turn signals had a form of an arm or arrow, mechanically controlled to show the direction; or you had to signal by hands). The implementation was very simple: A heater "artificial muscle" wire was bending a contact was connected parallel to the contact (so seeing full voltage when the contact was off, at the same time providing some light preheat for the lamps, so they did not get thermal shocks when flashing), where the passing current through an electromagnet formed a hysteresis. So lower current (when a lamp failed) means smaller hysteresis, so faster cycling.
The same is for the sound. It does not have to be clicking only, but it is required to be an audible signal in sync with the flashing.
Clicking it is, because it was the cheapest way to implement, just an auxiliary hammer (hitting a notch on the case) actuated by the hysteresis electromagnet. The sound could then be adjusted by rotating the system within the case (adjusting the notch vs hammer position).
In modern cars, where the flasher itself is either solid state or distributed over front and rear lights control modules, the sound is made by the dashboard computer via its speaker (used for all the annoying warning sounds and messages).
And with some most modern models I wont be surprised they get rid of the dashboard speaker at all (further cost cutting), and use the infotainment audio ("hi-fi") system for all that audio signalling (those not even offered without the multimedia infotainment systems). Then when even the seemingly stupid radio breaks, the car became illegal to drive - because the legally mandatory audio warnings wont work...

No more selfballasted c***

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Turn signal sounds « Reply #17 on: December 09, 2019, 05:09:13 PM » Author: Rommie
"Infotainment"  ???

Is that an actual word now..? Ye gods what is the world coming to... ??? ::)

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

FGS

View Posts
View Gallery

Rory Mercury!

Re: Turn signal sounds « Reply #18 on: December 09, 2019, 07:08:48 PM » Author: FGS
"Infotainment"  ???

Improvement is what I think the world is coming to. The infotainment is far more than just a radio. It’s GPS guiding you to your destination in unknown cities and you don’t want to put up with maps the size of a lorry or asking strangers for directions. Backup camera monitor showing what’s in your blind spot for safety reasons obviously. There’s more to the system but I haven’t played with a 2015+ car to know in details.

Lol, our local bin wagon has a reversing sound like someone’s running over a seagull!  ;D, I find that quite annoying, but today’s modern car’s have far too much electronic garbage in them! Working in the car retail business I hear it daily, and cars make far too many bing and bong noises for my liking BMW are the worst by far, if you accidentally try and drive off with your door not quite closed, it takes it out of gear, lights the dashboard up like Christmas, and bongs you’re ears off until you rectify the situation!!!, A car should be what it is, ‘a machine to get you from A to B, not some computerised bing bong electronic box of tricks!, the auto industry has gone downhill since I started driving!

I rather have “bing bong” vehicles than have some idiot’s door swing open as he brakes slamming into me or my vehicle. Or have loved ones go right out the windshield in a crash because they forgot to put on the seatbelt due to hectic day and the car didn’t beep at them to put it on. Too many morons has made car manufacturers install these. They don’t want to be liable for idiocy.

Now if they put a 4K camera aimed at the driver with one sole mission which is detect the use of phones while driving. Recording on a loop until it senses a crash or excessive evasive maneuvers. Records permanently and sends both driver cam and dash cam vids to the insurance company and/or local police department. You guys can tell my major pet peeve is utter idiots using phones while driving. (Smartphones or dumbphones I don’t care.)

This isn't about turn signals, but rather reversing alarms:

I vividly remember the first time I heard 'This vehicle is reversing' instead of the usual beeping.

I was walking along the side of the lorry, and I was just in line with the speaker when this woman's voice yelled in my ear.!  :o

I just about leapt out of my skin.!!!  :D

Sorry but that’s absolutely hilarious! I’ve heard these voices on buses. I’ve always thought it hilarious. Miss Captain Obvious level 100. (Girl voice out of speakers.)

Why I like LEDs on top of other lighting tech?
LEDs = Upgrade 95% of the applications. (That is if you avoid eBay's LEDs).

LED brainwash? No, people uses them cuz they work well for them.

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Turn signal sounds « Reply #19 on: December 09, 2019, 09:43:48 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
@ FGS : I recently reported the driver of a prison transport bus for using his texting while driving .I called the "how am I driving # on the back of the bus and gave the number of the bus and time and location to the call center and was asked to hold on while she pulled up the video of the driver . upon finding the incriminating video she said "i'll sent this to the office, that is NOT tolerated and the driver would most likely lose his job"

I personally believe that all vehicles should have blocker technology to prevent phone use while the car is not in park.

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Turn signal sounds « Reply #20 on: December 09, 2019, 10:05:42 PM » Author: Cole D.
M
Actually it is the Cote, what requires the turn signal system to detect a faulty lamp and speed up as a way to let driver know the problem. This requirement is as old as the flasher type turn signals alone (before flashers, the turn signals had a form of an arm or arrow, mechanically controlled to show the direction; or you had to signal by hands). The implementation was very simple: A heater "artificial muscle" wire was bending a contact was connected parallel to the contact (so seeing full voltage when the contact was off, at the same time providing some light preheat for the lamps, so they did not get thermal shocks when flashing), where the passing current through an electromagnet formed a hysteresis. So lower current (when a lamp failed) means smaller hysteresis, so faster cycling.
The same is for the sound. It does not have to be clicking only, but it is required to be an audible signal in sync with the flashing.
Clicking it is, because it was the cheapest way to implement, just an auxiliary hammer (hitting a notch on the case) actuated by the hysteresis electromagnet. The sound could then be adjusted by rotating the system within the case (adjusting the notch vs hammer position).
In modern cars, where the flasher itself is either solid state or distributed over front and rear lights control modules, the sound is made by the dashboard computer via its speaker (used for all the annoying warning sounds and messages).
And with some most modern models I wont be surprised they get rid of the dashboard speaker at all (further cost cutting), and use the infotainment audio ("hi-fi") system for all that audio signalling (those not even offered without the multimedia infotainment systems). Then when even the seemingly stupid radio breaks, the car became illegal to drive - because the legally mandatory audio warnings wont work...

Some cars here back in early/mid 2000s even play signal and warning sound through radio speaker on driver's door.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Turn signal sounds « Reply #21 on: December 09, 2019, 10:07:54 PM » Author: Cole D.
@ FGS : I recently reported the driver of a prison transport bus for using his texting while driving .I called the "how am I driving # on the back of the bus and gave the number of the bus and time and location to the call center and was asked to hold on while she pulled up the video of the driver . upon finding the incriminating video she said "i'll sent this to the office, that is NOT tolerated and the driver would most likely lose his job"

I personally believe that all vehicles should have blocker technology to prevent phone use while the car is not in park.
Most any new vehicle these days will have bluetooth pairing for cell phone over speakers for hands free talking and most recently texting. But I still think it can be distracting.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Turn signal sounds « Reply #22 on: December 10, 2019, 02:54:44 AM » Author: Medved
"Infotainment"  ???

Well, it is really used in the industry, already for at least 20 years, for sure when the first sat-nav systems were integrated into the car dashboards.
Yes, it means what used to be just a radio. Today it is the thing with the screen in the central console, which functions as navigation, radio, media player and so on.
They dont want to use "radio", because it does way much more and it is hard wired with the car functionality - it is just an information console, whose one function happens to be a radio, other the navigation, other a display for backing camera, other a console to access vehicle running stats and data and so on.

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Turn signal sounds « Reply #23 on: December 10, 2019, 03:00:37 AM » Author: Medved

That is nonsense. Google is attempting to enforce this, the result is, even the passenger can not do anything without the car being stopped, so drivers are stopping the cars virtually everywhere, which is dangerous the same way.
People who demonstrate they can not resist using their phones behind the wheel should loose their licenses for the lifetime. Yes, you may call that a mental illness (lack of self discipline), but it is an illness preventing their ability to drive, due to health issues. And because it is uncurable, they would be forever banned driving.

FGS

View Posts
View Gallery

Rory Mercury!

Re: Turn signal sounds « Reply #24 on: December 10, 2019, 08:54:27 AM » Author: FGS
That is nonsense. Google is attempting to enforce this, the result is, even the passenger can not do anything without the car being stopped, so drivers are stopping the cars virtually everywhere, which is dangerous the same way.

Hence the driver camera that’d record and send vid to police and/or insurance only if the driver does things that’s related to using phones. So passengers doesn’t have to go without games/books/movies on their phones.

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Turn signal sounds « Reply #25 on: December 10, 2019, 10:00:53 AM » Author: Rommie
I'd rather Google didn't know where I am every moment of the day, thanks all the same. When I'm driving, I am perfectly capable of finding my way without assistance from them, also I know how to close a car door. And when to make a phone call or not.

Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

FGS

View Posts
View Gallery

Rory Mercury!

Re: Turn signal sounds « Reply #26 on: December 10, 2019, 11:00:32 AM » Author: FGS
I'd rather Google didn't know where I am every moment of the day, thanks all the same. When I'm driving, I am perfectly capable of finding my way without assistance from them, also I know how to close a car door. And when to make a phone call or not.

Who said anything about Google? I most certainly didn’t. Google isn’t the only one with maps. The car’s usually quiet on those who knows how to do things properly.  Door closed fully? No beeps. Belt’s on before turning on car? No beeps. Not using phone while driving? Camera’s forever on a loop with oldest clip erased. Zero vids get sent anywhere. The beeps and cameras is meant for brainless morons who have zero clue how things are done. Or the occasional forgetting things which happens to even the best of us. (The memo about Facebook thing in the upload page in LG is basically that “beep” in cars.)

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Turn signal sounds « Reply #27 on: December 10, 2019, 11:04:39 AM » Author: Rommie
Ok, let me make it clearer. I don't want the car monitoring me in any way, shape or form. *I* will decide whether to fit a dashcam, alarm system on the door, or any other device above and beyond what is needed to make the car start, drive and stop. Which is why I intend, when finances permit, to get a classic car, probably a VW Beetle.

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Turn signal sounds « Reply #28 on: December 10, 2019, 11:11:06 AM » Author: Mandolin Girl
Who said anything about Google? I most certainly didn’t. Google isn’t the only one with maps. The car’s usually quiet on those who knows how to do things properly.  Door closed fully? No beeps. Belt’s on before turning on car? No beeps. Not using phone while driving? Camera’s forever on a loop with oldest clip erased. Zero vids get sent anywhere. The beeps and cameras is meant for brainless morons who have zero clue how things are done. Or the occasional forgetting things which happens to even the best of us. (The memo about Facebook thing in the upload page in LG is basically that “beep” in cars.)
We have seen it countless times in the police programmes, the morons fasten the belt behind them so it doesn't beep.!

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

FGS

View Posts
View Gallery

Rory Mercury!

Re: Turn signal sounds « Reply #29 on: December 10, 2019, 11:37:20 AM » Author: FGS
Ok, let me make it clearer. I don't want the car monitoring me in any way, shape or form. *I* will decide whether to fit a dashcam, alarm system on the door, or any other device above and beyond what is needed to make the car start, drive and stop. Which is why I intend, when finances permit, to get a classic car, probably a VW Beetle.

Nothing stopping ya from getting the classic Beetle. Nice choice of classic albeit the fact they’re getting harder to find in working condition let alone still good looking. I’m sure you’re aware of these facts but for those who haven’t seen them. The cars are so utterly simple as they get. No heaters or AC included. Some doesn’t even come with a radio! Let alone important safety features like ABS brakes, airbags, crumple zones and so on. (Mostly passive so there’s no “monitoring” done by the cars.)

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies