Author Topic: Self ballesting Mercury discharge lamps  (Read 6235 times)
riverlights

View Posts
View Gallery

Self ballesting Mercury discharge lamps « on: November 04, 2019, 11:59:22 PM » Author: riverlights
How can I know if a lamp is self ballesting from the item specifications on the lamp itself?
BT25

View Posts
View Gallery

Vintage HID Collector

Re: Self ballesting Mercury discharge lamps « Reply #1 on: November 11, 2019, 07:32:48 PM » Author: BT25
How can I know if a lamp is self ballesting from the item specifications on the lamp itself?
SBMV's always have the voltage given on the etch. For example: 160W/120V; 450W/277V etc. Standard mercury vapor lamps have no voltage given, just an ANSI code number. Why?...because the secondary voltage from the ballast is standardized.

First known case of Westinghouse Lifeguard Disease! :lol:
If you can say yes to any of the following, you may have it too: :poof:
Can't resist buying more even if you already have an example in your collection? :lol:
Bank account shows unnecessary spending? ::)
Have an empty wallet?  :lol:

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Self ballesting Mercury discharge lamps « Reply #2 on: November 28, 2019, 12:23:30 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
Here is an example of what you need to look for.  :)

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Self ballesting Mercury discharge lamps « Reply #3 on: December 01, 2019, 02:34:48 AM » Author: Medved
Unfortunately I've seen regular MV and some fluorescent lamps having "230V" printed on them, yet these were really the standard lamps needing the ballast to operate (well, the "logic" behind probably was the series choke ballast input voltage to be the stated 230V; what is really nonsense for a lamp spec, it is the ballast business to specify its input voltage). So the presence of the "voltage rating" is not 100% reliable indicator of a selfballasted lamp either.
But it happened so far only on very cheepeese products...

No more selfballasted c***

BT25

View Posts
View Gallery

Vintage HID Collector

Re: Self ballesting Mercury discharge lamps « Reply #4 on: December 02, 2019, 10:03:44 AM » Author: BT25
Unfortunately I've seen regular MV and some fluorescent lamps having "230V" printed on them, yet these were really the standard lamps needing the ballast to operate (well, the "logic" behind probably was the series choke ballast input voltage to be the stated 230V; what is really nonsense for a lamp spec, it is the ballast business to specify its input voltage). So the presence of the "voltage rating" is not 100% reliable indicator of a selfballasted lamp either.
But it happened so far only on very cheepeese products...

Anytime I see the voltage given on a lamp that requires a ballast, I just laugh and put the lamp back on the shelf.  ::)
« Last Edit: February 12, 2020, 11:34:43 PM by WestinghouseCeramalux » Logged

First known case of Westinghouse Lifeguard Disease! :lol:
If you can say yes to any of the following, you may have it too: :poof:
Can't resist buying more even if you already have an example in your collection? :lol:
Bank account shows unnecessary spending? ::)
Have an empty wallet?  :lol:

migette1

View Posts
View Gallery

Peter

migette1
Re: Self ballesting Mercury discharge lamps « Reply #5 on: February 12, 2020, 03:46:31 PM » Author: migette1
Take a little look, self ballasted lamps will have a filament near the arc tube, if coated try shining a light from torch and try to make the filament out.Just a thought putting a multi meter across the base you should get an ohms reading where as normal it would show as  open circuit, correct me if wrong?

Interested in the history of electric lighting and incandescent in particular and neon glow lamps.

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich

Re: Self ballesting Mercury discharge lamps « Reply #6 on: February 16, 2020, 04:04:22 AM » Author: AngryHorse
Interesting idea Peter, but it would still show an open circuit would it not?, as the filament forms no part of the circuit until the arc had struck an current flow can get back to neutral? ;)

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

"Beauty fades, dumb is forever".......Judge Judy :D

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Self ballesting Mercury discharge lamps « Reply #7 on: March 04, 2020, 05:46:40 AM » Author: Medved
Take a little look, self ballasted lamps will have a filament near the arc tube, if coated try shining a light from torch and try to make the filament out.Just a thought putting a multi meter across the base you should get an ohms reading where as normal it would show as  open circuit, correct me if wrong?

The filament: But be aware some designs used a short piece of incandescent filament wire in lamps requiring ballast as an oxygen fuse, to protect against UV when the outer bulb breaks (the filament normally glows, but once it comes in contact with oxygen from the atmosphere, it burns so breaks the circuit). The SBMV have the filament really long, with a few support wires (it is to be rated at nearly the full mains voltage, after all; the fuse uses to be rated at just barely 2..5V or so, so really very short).

And the ohm-meter method works only for 120V lamps, not for the 230V ones. The reason is, the 120V lamps are of preheat start, so a bimetal starter contact shorts out the arctube and keeps just the preheat filaments in series with the ballasting filament (so the circuit is complete when cold). After power ON, the auxiliary filaments preheat the cathodes, so the main arc may strike.

The 230V designs use the regular auxiliary probe start burner design (from standard burners these differ only in the current and voltage rating, otherwise their concept is the same), so the circuit is open at low voltage, same as a regular SBMV.

By the way the filaments within the arctube ends is another "giveway" of that lamp being a 120V SBMV. No other MV uses filaments inside of the arctube, they use just the auxiliary probe with a series resistor.

I think the most reliable method would be to "google" the type number. Even when really some obscure outdated type, google usually will give some usable hint (e.g. just the region, so you know what to look for - preheat filaments for 120V SBMV or long ballast filaments for 230V SBMV,...)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 05:50:00 AM by Medved » Logged

No more selfballasted c***

HomeBrewLamps
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: Self ballesting Mercury discharge lamps « Reply #8 on: March 16, 2020, 05:37:11 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
Anytime I see the voltage given on a lamp that requires a ballast, I just laugh and put the lamp back on the shelf.  ::)
I have one! It has actually lasted for years.

https://www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/displayimage.php?album=4641&pos=8&pid=157898

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Self ballesting Mercury discharge lamps « Reply #9 on: March 16, 2020, 05:48:06 PM » Author: Rommie
It was common on British mercury lamps in particular many moons ago, see the end flap of the box of one of my MA/V lamps:

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies