Author Topic: Self ballesting Mercury discharge lamps  (Read 923 times)
riverlights

View Posts
View Gallery

Self ballesting Mercury discharge lamps « on: November 04, 2019, 10:59:22 PM » Author: riverlights
How can I know if a lamp is self ballesting from the item specifications on the lamp itself?
GE101R

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Self ballesting Mercury discharge lamps « Reply #1 on: November 05, 2019, 07:29:31 AM » Author: GE101R
How can I know if a lamp is self ballesting from the item specifications on the lamp itself?

Look the number up online maybe? Many times this will work.
WestinghouseCeramalux

View Posts
View Gallery

Vintage HID Collector

Re: Self ballesting Mercury discharge lamps « Reply #2 on: November 11, 2019, 06:32:48 PM » Author: WestinghouseCeramalux
SBMV's always have the voltage given on the etch. For example: 160W/120V; 450W/277V etc. Standard mercury vapor lamps have no voltage given, just an ANSI code number. Why?...because the secondary voltage from the ballast is standardized.

The truth of a matter, is not determined by how many people believe it.

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Mainly the mechanical side of things

Re: Self ballesting Mercury discharge lamps « Reply #3 on: November 28, 2019, 11:23:30 AM » Author: Mandolin Girl
Here is an example of what you need to look for.  Smiley

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen)

There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber  -  US author, cartoonist, humourist, & satirist (1894 - 1961)

GE101R

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Self ballesting Mercury discharge lamps « Reply #4 on: November 28, 2019, 01:18:39 PM » Author: GE101R
Yea, look for the number on the lamp.
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Self ballesting Mercury discharge lamps « Reply #5 on: December 01, 2019, 01:34:48 AM » Author: Medved
Unfortunately I've seen regular MV and some fluorescent lamps having "230V" printed on them, yet these were really the standard lamps needing the ballast to operate (well, the "logic" behind probably was the series choke ballast input voltage to be the stated 230V; what is really nonsense for a lamp spec, it is the ballast business to specify its input voltage). So the presence of the "voltage rating" is not 100% reliable indicator of a selfballasted lamp either.
But it happened so far only on very cheepeese products...

No more selfballasted c***

GE101R

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Self ballesting Mercury discharge lamps « Reply #6 on: December 01, 2019, 03:02:09 AM » Author: GE101R
Lamp catalogue number. Totally different on a self ballast.
WestinghouseCeramalux

View Posts
View Gallery

Vintage HID Collector

Re: Self ballesting Mercury discharge lamps « Reply #7 on: December 02, 2019, 09:03:44 AM » Author: WestinghouseCeramalux
Unfortunately I've seen regular MV and some fluorescent lamps having "230V" printed on them, yet these were really the standard lamps needing the ballast to operate (well, the "logic" behind probably was the series choke ballast input voltage to be the stated 230V; what is really nonsense for a lamp spec, it is the ballast business to specify its input voltage). So the presence of the "voltage rating" is not 100% reliable indicator of a selfballasted lamp either.
But it happened so far only on very cheepeese products...

Anytime I see the voltage given on a lamp that requires a ballast, I just laugh and put the lamp back on the shelf.  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: February 12, 2020, 10:34:43 PM by WestinghouseCeramalux » Logged

The truth of a matter, is not determined by how many people believe it.

migette1

View Posts
View Gallery

Peter

migette1
Re: Self ballesting Mercury discharge lamps « Reply #8 on: February 12, 2020, 02:46:31 PM » Author: migette1
Take a little look, self ballasted lamps will have a filament near the arc tube, if coated try shining a light from torch and try to make the filament out.Just a thought putting a multi meter across the base you should get an ohms reading where as normal it would show as  open circuit, correct me if wrong?

Interested in the history of electric lighting and incandescent in particular and neon glow lamps.

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich

Re: Self ballesting Mercury discharge lamps « Reply #9 on: February 16, 2020, 03:04:22 AM » Author: AngryHorse
Interesting idea Peter, but it would still show an open circuit would it not?, as the filament forms no part of the circuit until the arc had struck an current flow can get back to neutral? Wink

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED

"Beauty fades, dumb is forever".......Judge Judy Cheesy

Print 
© 2005-2020 Lighting-Gallery.net | Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines