Author Topic: Don't let this seller get ahold of ANY vintage "decora-but-not" plates!  (Read 7829 times)
Fluorescent05

View Posts
View Gallery

Zack

Re: Don't let this seller get ahold of ANY vintage "decora-but-not" plates! « Reply #15 on: November 09, 2019, 05:01:43 PM » Author: Fluorescent05
I have not even counted them. It will be this winter when I replace them since I have about 65 street lights that need to be cleaned and some repainted.
Are you also replacing the ribbed bakelite plates?

I can't pretend a stranger is a long awaited friend. -Neil Peart

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Don't let this seller get ahold of ANY vintage "decora-but-not" plates! « Reply #16 on: November 09, 2019, 06:30:46 PM » Author: Cole D.
Here a Sierra Triplex, which looks like skinnier decora.

https://www.electrical-contractor.net/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/151915/Sierra_Triplex_Receptacle.html

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

Fluorescent05

View Posts
View Gallery

Zack

Re: Don't let this seller get ahold of ANY vintage "decora-but-not" plates! « Reply #17 on: November 10, 2019, 11:33:59 AM » Author: Fluorescent05
Yes..I will include those as well.
Are there any brown bakelite plates or all ivory?

Fluorescent05

View Posts
View Gallery

Zack

Re: Don't let this seller get ahold of ANY vintage "decora-but-not" plates! « Reply #18 on: November 10, 2019, 03:41:27 PM » Author: Fluorescent05
Here a Sierra Triplex, which looks like skinnier decora.

https://www.electrical-contractor.net/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/151915/Sierra_Triplex_Receptacle.html
@Cole D, that is exactly the type of plate that the seller machines when he gets ahold of them.

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Don't let this seller get ahold of ANY vintage "decora-but-not" plates! « Reply #19 on: November 10, 2019, 03:53:23 PM » Author: Cole D.
I have to wonder, if Decora was around in the early 70s, there were likely some of these ribbed plates that were made for with such an opening.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

Fluorescent05

View Posts
View Gallery

Zack

Re: Don't let this seller get ahold of ANY vintage "decora-but-not" plates! « Reply #20 on: November 10, 2019, 05:16:31 PM » Author: Fluorescent05
I have to wonder, if Decora was around in the early 70s, there were likely some of these ribbed plates that were made for with such an opening.
Possibly, but those might be rarer.

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Don't let this seller get ahold of ANY vintage "decora-but-not" plates! « Reply #21 on: November 10, 2019, 06:11:38 PM » Author: joseph_125
Heh, the seller mentions that the plates were machined but the fit and finish of the resized cutout looks more like it was done with a dremel and sanded/filed to fit. If it was done on something like a milling machine, the edges of the cutout would be a lot smoother and the fit would be a lot tighter. The redrilled countersunk holes also look like they were countersunk with a oversized drill bit instead of a proper countersink bit.

I remember seeing some Leviton Centura stuff at the Restore once, the push button switches were pretty neat but they didn't have the matching cover for them.
lifeguard

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Don't let this seller get ahold of ANY vintage "decora-but-not" plates! « Reply #22 on: November 10, 2019, 07:59:35 PM » Author: lifeguard
Destroying old plates to appeal to more people rather than preserving it's history? Not okay.
Fluorescent05

View Posts
View Gallery

Zack

Re: Don't let this seller get ahold of ANY vintage "decora-but-not" plates! « Reply #23 on: November 10, 2019, 08:31:04 PM » Author: Fluorescent05
Destroying old plates to appeal to more people rather than preserving it's history? Not okay.
Exactly!!!!

Fluorescent05

View Posts
View Gallery

Zack

Re: Don't let this seller get ahold of ANY vintage "decora-but-not" plates! « Reply #24 on: November 10, 2019, 08:33:39 PM » Author: Fluorescent05
Heh, the seller mentions that the plates were machined but the fit and finish of the resized cutout looks more like it was done with a dremel and sanded/filed to fit. If it was done on something like a milling machine, the edges of the cutout would be a lot smoother and the fit would be a lot tighter. The redrilled countersunk holes also look like they were countersunk with a oversized drill bit instead of a proper countersink bit.

I remember seeing some Leviton Centura stuff at the Restore once, the push button switches were pretty neat but they didn't have the matching cover for them.
The inside edges aren't even straight either!

HomeBrewLamps

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: Don't let this seller get ahold of ANY vintage "decora-but-not" plates! « Reply #25 on: November 10, 2019, 10:27:06 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
It'd be better if they just manufactured brand new vintage style plates. Instead of changing old ones. However I'm sure there is plenty of these plates out there.

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Don't let this seller get ahold of ANY vintage "decora-but-not" plates! « Reply #26 on: November 11, 2019, 02:05:00 AM » Author: joseph_125
Yeah the poor machining job makes me think that it was done by hand. Making a reproduction with the Decora sized cutout is ideal but the high costs of the injection molds required to make them means that you have to make them in the 1000s to be economical.
Fluorescent05

View Posts
View Gallery

Zack

Re: Don't let this seller get ahold of ANY vintage "decora-but-not" plates! « Reply #27 on: November 11, 2019, 06:48:42 AM » Author: Fluorescent05
Yeah the poor machining job makes me think that it was done by hand. Making a reproduction with the Decora sized cutout is ideal but the high costs of the injection molds required to make them means that you have to make them in the 1000s to be economical.
His redrilled holes look like crap too. Even if a proper milling machine was used, he can't fix the design of the original manufacturer. There is one plate that looks like crap simply because the bezels around the plate screw area don't exist on the part he machined.

Fluorescent05

View Posts
View Gallery

Zack

Re: Don't let this seller get ahold of ANY vintage "decora-but-not" plates! « Reply #28 on: November 12, 2019, 02:16:13 PM » Author: Fluorescent05
Do any of you remember the "snap together" plates that you could build the design you want with snap together pieces?
No, if they are old, then I am too young to know about them.

Fluorescent05

View Posts
View Gallery

Zack

Re: Don't let this seller get ahold of ANY vintage "decora-but-not" plates! « Reply #29 on: November 14, 2019, 06:53:48 AM » Author: Fluorescent05
They still make them.
Those would probably make somewhat of a seam if the switches/receptacles were slightly off center or one is in farther than the other.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies