Author Topic: Do they still install HID lighting in your area?  (Read 3092 times)
Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Do they still install HID lighting in your area? « on: November 23, 2019, 09:05:29 AM » Author: Cole D.
Here they still install AEL 115 in HPS. But in some cases, they use LED. The latest DOT installation of HPS I saw was in 2017 they used some AEL 115 full cutoff at new turning lanes, and also a relocated highway used GE M-400 full cutoff throughout.

I believe they still relamp HPS streetlamps, not sure on MV, but DOT replaces to LED now.

At Lowes recently, they have changed the parking lot lighting from MH to LED, but at the Wendy's they relamped their MH shoeboxes and floods recently after many were not working.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

CreeRSW207

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Do they still install HID lighting in your area? « Reply #1 on: November 23, 2019, 09:29:58 AM » Author: CreeRSW207
Here they still install AEL 115 in HPS. But in some cases, they use LED. The latest DOT installation of HPS I saw was in 2017 they used some AEL 115 full cutoff at new turning lanes, and also a relocated highway used GE M-400 full cutoff throughout.

I believe they still relamp HPS streetlamps, not sure on MV, but DOT replaces to LED now.

At Lowes recently, they have changed the parking lot lighting from MH to LED, but at the Wendy's they relamped their MH shoeboxes and floods recently after many were not working.
Well since my town has not fully converted to LED they mainly use Cooper OVZs or just relamping the existing light. On the main roads they put these up.

Long live the Incandescent streetlights!
Power Company: Eversource
Startup Landscaping/LED retrofit business.

HPSM250R2

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Do they still install HID lighting in your area? « Reply #2 on: November 23, 2019, 09:32:57 AM » Author: HPSM250R2

LCEC still replaces and installs 150, 250, and 400 watt HPS cobraheads. They only use LED to replace the 100 watt HPS cobraheads. They say it is because the price of larger LED roadway luminaires is still too high to consider using them.

FPL seems to have gone all LED. However occasionally I'll see small installations of new HPS cobraheads.

FDOT has re-done many roadways with LED Mongoose luminaires. However there are still some roadways where they are maintaining the HPS Mongoose luminaires and installing new ones.

On trips I have taken out of town like to Miami, there are surprisingly quite a few massive projects with new roadway lighting and they're using HPS cobraheads. I mean miles and miles of highway that are all brand new HPS.
Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: Do they still install HID lighting in your area? « Reply #3 on: November 23, 2019, 10:29:18 AM » Author: Lumex120
The only new HPS installations I have seen in the past year were 250w HPS bracket fixtures for rental lights.

Unofficial LG Discord

High Intensity

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Do they still install HID lighting in your area? « Reply #4 on: November 23, 2019, 01:34:37 PM » Author: High Intensity
For the most part, no. However, sometimes Caltrains install HPS streetlights, most are temporary, but some are permanent.
wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Do they still install HID lighting in your area? « Reply #5 on: November 23, 2019, 01:38:07 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
Brand new HPS high masts were just installed a few months ago on I-71 as part of the "South Side Mega Fix project" It surprised me as the I-270 widening project on the west side got LED's installed !

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

fluorescent lover 40

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Do they still install HID lighting in your area? « Reply #6 on: November 23, 2019, 02:34:42 PM » Author: fluorescent lover 40
No. CalTrans replaced a knockdown (GE ERS1 LED) with a new GE M-400A 250w HPS light earlier this year though. They did it up until April of this year.
HPSM250R2

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Do they still install HID lighting in your area? « Reply #7 on: November 23, 2019, 03:06:48 PM » Author: HPSM250R2
Brand new HPS high masts were just installed a few months ago on I-71 as part of the "South Side Mega Fix project" It surprised me as the I-270 widening project on the west side got LED's installed !

This is just another reason why I don't understand why people say HID light sources are being phased out. If this is true then why are all of these new installations happening? I mean there's new highway construction all over the place here with miles and miles of hundreds upon hundreds of new HPS cobraheads.
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Do they still install HID lighting in your area? « Reply #8 on: November 23, 2019, 04:28:27 PM » Author: Rommie
Unfortunately not. They are ripping out perfectly serviceable HPS and replacing them with very poor quality LED glare bombs  :'(

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Do they still install HID lighting in your area? « Reply #9 on: November 24, 2019, 04:19:03 AM » Author: joseph_125
Only in the City of Toronto which still uses and installs HPS and MH. In my area and most of the other cities around Toronto the few remaining HPS fixtures that weren't replaced in 2013-2015 are still working and possibly still maintained. I spotted a couple of former LED steeetlight poles that got spot replaced with HPS too. Any newly installed privately owned outdoor lighting seems to be all LED though.

Most of the MTO highways are still HPS aside from the ones with lighting installed in the last two years which use all LED.

What I pretty much haven't seen since 2015 is a new indoor HID installation. The last install I saw was a newly renovated corridor in a mall which used 70w PSMH recessed downlights to match the other downlights in the building. That particular mall is a bit weird though, there's still some 175w MV downlights tucked away in some side corridors and T12 turret emergency lights.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 04:22:18 AM by joseph_125 » Logged
Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Do they still install HID lighting in your area? « Reply #10 on: December 03, 2019, 02:45:03 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
Even if a private individual fitted HID lanterns, then getting the lamps for them is a nearly impossible task other than buying from eBay.  :(

Consumers should be allowed to install the fittings they want.  >:(

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Do they still install HID lighting in your area? « Reply #11 on: December 04, 2019, 12:16:10 AM » Author: joseph_125
It's a similar situation in Canada. The big box stores have largely stopped selling HID lamps but you can still get them from electrical and lighting supply stores. MV is sometimes still stocked but is sometimes special order now.
takemorepills

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Do they still install HID lighting in your area? « Reply #12 on: December 04, 2019, 12:40:55 AM » Author: takemorepills
This is just another reason why I don't understand why people say HID light sources are being phased out. If this is true then why are all of these new installations happening? I mean there's new highway construction all over the place here with miles and miles of hundreds upon hundreds of new HPS cobraheads.

At the DOT I work for, our contractors were installing new HPS lighting well after we switched to LED. And the reason? A maddening excuse: Some contracts go back to the early 2000's, HPS was called for. Lighting is often the last thing installed in big transportation projects, so we have HPS going up in 2019. To ask the contractor to install LED instead triggers a "change order", which is a big no-no between a DOT and it's contractors. A "change order" basically allows a contractor to charge whatever they want, and are famously how contractors make money on low-bid projects.
We even offered to give them LEDs and take the HPS from them on-site. Nope, "change order"!

Then a few weeks after the HPS goes up another contractor comes through and changes the HPS to LED. It's ridiculous!
Silverliner
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Rare white reflector

GoL
Re: Do they still install HID lighting in your area? « Reply #13 on: December 12, 2019, 02:41:20 PM » Author: Silverliner
Yes I see new HID street lights installed all the time in Southern California. Mostly for replacements or supplementing existing lighting nowadays.

Administrator of Lighting-Gallery.net. Need help? PM me.

Member of L-G since 2005.

Collector of vintage bulbs, street lights and fluorescent fixtures.

Electrician.

Also a fan of cars, travelling, working out, food, hanging out.

Power company: Southern California Edison.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies