Author Topic: Railroad Utility Poles  (Read 1678 times)
CreeRSW207

View Posts
View Gallery

Railroad Utility Poles « on: November 28, 2019, 05:09:42 PM » Author: CreeRSW207
In Newport, Maine. These lines go to signals so I’m questioning if they are still energized, are there any that are active nelar you? I was thinking about getting some insulators down, should I go to a pole without wires or should I just bring an electrical tester to see if they are energized or not?

Long live the Incandescent streetlights!
Power Company: Eversource
Startup Landscaping/LED retrofit business.

CreeRSW207

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Railroad Utility Poles « Reply #1 on: November 29, 2019, 03:57:07 PM » Author: CreeRSW207
I don't see any lines on those left over insulators. Some railroads ran 2400V primary line along the right of way for the depot's and signals where there were no utilities available out in the boonies. I think all of those are long gone now but I saw a few installations in the far Northeast that are questionably still active. These were usually on the very top of the telegraph/phone lies.
They disappeared like some of the posts on LG. Fast!   LOL
This pole is in the same stretch as the other one.

CreeRSW207

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Railroad Utility Poles « Reply #2 on: November 29, 2019, 07:34:37 PM » Author: CreeRSW207
The first one has two cross arms and this one has five????????????
I bet there were a few additions there... just a few.

CreeRSW207

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Railroad Utility Poles « Reply #3 on: November 30, 2019, 04:04:59 PM » Author: CreeRSW207
Are you sure they are not active?

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Railroad Utility Poles « Reply #4 on: December 01, 2019, 02:06:10 AM » Author: Medved
Never ever mess up with any rail equipment without agreement with the responsible operator/owner (so you are sure the thing is really out of service).
Don't forget in signalling many wires are most of the times not energized, yet they are still used (mainly old telegraph systems have the circuits energized only the few second a command is transmitted).
So messing with it may make the equipment inopeative. Consequently that means huge losses (finding the damaged spot, but mainly stopped/slowed down traffic on the served railway line), even elevated risk of accidents (the backup traffic control methods are way less reliable and mainly because people are not used to them on places where normally more high tech methods are in use, so more likely make an error). These are a reason, why there is a potential jail time for messing up with the equipment...

No more selfballasted c***

CreeRSW207

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Railroad Utility Poles « Reply #5 on: December 04, 2019, 03:07:37 PM » Author: CreeRSW207
If both ends are on the ground, they are DOA. Just get the many that are scattered on the ground. Many of those old creosote poles date back to the early mid century and are rotten at the base. Don't think the railroad police would say anything to the ones on the ground but the ones still on the pole? I would not try it for health and criminal issues. 

Some poles are knocked down so I’ll look around them.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies