Author Topic: The illustrious Ballast Killers- Phillips Alto!  (Read 10574 times)
lightman64

View Posts
View Gallery

Zero 88 Lighting Controls Rule!

The illustrious Ballast Killers- Phillips Alto! « on: December 29, 2008, 03:10:18 PM » Author: lightman64
Phillips alto flourescent lamps are bad because of the reduced mercury content. While regular bulbs have 7-8 grams of mercury altos have only 1.2 grams. Since there is not much mercury, it takes a higher power starting pulse (mainly on instant start, but other ballasts can be killed too)it ignite the lamps that soon the ballast goes bad because of the strain on itself. Cold Cathode and rapid start might not suffer as much but still can be killed. Please save yourself and don't fall into a trap like i did!

The future of street lighting is Induction, not nasty HPS lights or cr@ppy LED lights!
Preheat CFL's should make a comeback!

Mr. Big
Re: The illustrious Ballast Killers- Phillips Alto! « Reply #1 on: December 29, 2008, 04:22:21 PM » Author: Mr. Big
Didn't we warn you? ::)
lightman64

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: The illustrious Ballast Killers- Phillips Alto! « Reply #2 on: December 29, 2008, 05:09:54 PM » Author: lightman64
that was before i joined this amazing site. i was just telling a story, tring to save any newbies who might come across this post and be fans of Altos! ;D

The future of street lighting is Induction, not nasty HPS lights or cr@ppy LED lights!

Mr. Big
Re: The illustrious Ballast Killers- Phillips Alto! « Reply #3 on: December 29, 2008, 05:11:53 PM » Author: Mr. Big
I found this out the hard way myself too actually, except mine the entire tube turned purple right before my eyes, then went out, and new lamps didn't work so it killed the ballast!
lightman64

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: The illustrious Ballast Killers- Phillips Alto! « Reply #4 on: December 29, 2008, 05:35:00 PM » Author: lightman64
wow! bet you were worried! anyways, what kind of ballast was in the fixture?
« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 11:36:12 AM by lightman64 » Logged

Mr. Big
Re: The illustrious Ballast Killers- Phillips Alto! « Reply #5 on: December 30, 2008, 07:44:44 PM » Author: Mr. Big
Don't remember, a universal something  :P
lightman64

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: The illustrious Ballast Killers- Phillips Alto! « Reply #6 on: January 01, 2009, 07:26:27 PM » Author: lightman64
Most ballasts in my house are advance brand.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 09:19:21 PM by lightman64 » Logged

lightman64

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: The illustrious Ballast Killers- Phillips Alto! « Reply #7 on: January 25, 2009, 03:10:03 PM » Author: lightman64
if they are so bad, then why in places where there is a whole bunch they don't die and people LOVE them? and is it better to use one on a preheat or rapid start if you have to?

Foxtronix

View Posts
View Gallery

Formerly "TiCoune66". Also known here as Vince.

GoL UCs4tSgJSCoCIMGThBuaePhA
Re: The illustrious Ballast Killers- Phillips Alto! « Reply #8 on: January 27, 2009, 05:36:22 PM » Author: Foxtronix
When I find empty boxes that had fluorescents, it's always ALTO! I installed a F30T12 striplight in october 2008 and I prefered buying a GE tube instead of using one of my 2 Altos from Philips. I also did a test with another F30T12 strip I found in the dumps (it works):

Test 1: The Philips ALTO -> Didn't start at all. I successed later in 20 tries!

Test 2: The GE -> Started in one shot! It was also brighter, go figure....

I think even if all fluorescents loss of their quality today, GE and Sylvania tubes are still good, but Philips ALTO are garbage! The ALTOs II are a pure disaster...

Mercury Man

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: The illustrious Ballast Killers- Phillips Alto! « Reply #9 on: January 27, 2009, 09:44:03 PM » Author: Mercury Man
What I don't like about ALTOs most of all are those ugly green endcaps that don't look good in ANY fixture!
Foxtronix

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: The illustrious Ballast Killers- Phillips Alto! « Reply #10 on: January 27, 2009, 10:03:55 PM » Author: Foxtronix
I find them cool! But yeah they look bad in most fixture. The green etches of Philips ALTOs are worse!

form109
Re: The illustrious Ballast Killers- Phillips Alto! « Reply #11 on: January 28, 2009, 08:31:05 AM » Author: form109
i happen to like the Green Endcaps! 8)
lite_lover

View Posts
View Gallery

Darren

GoL darren.harward
Re: The illustrious Ballast Killers- Phillips Alto! « Reply #12 on: January 28, 2009, 01:30:25 PM » Author: lite_lover
So far I've been lucky,my ALTO's haven't killed any ballasts yet,and I've been using them for a good number of years now.I use them because they are the only cool white F40T12 lamps available here that are 40W and not the dim energy saving 34W lamps.

The brighter the better.

Foxtronix

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: The illustrious Ballast Killers- Phillips Alto! « Reply #13 on: January 28, 2009, 10:04:01 PM » Author: Foxtronix
Darren: F40T12/CW? Aren't they banned?

lite_lover

View Posts
View Gallery

Darren

GoL darren.harward
Re: The illustrious Ballast Killers- Phillips Alto! « Reply #14 on: January 28, 2009, 11:41:35 PM » Author: lite_lover
Yes they are banned,just the ALTO cool white HomeLight are still 40W.

The brighter the better.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies