Author Topic: Mercury Vapor lights in your area still maintained?  (Read 5357 times)
Silverliner
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Rare white reflector

GoL
Mercury Vapor lights in your area still maintained? « on: December 12, 2019, 02:43:55 PM » Author: Silverliner
Roadway, parking lots, strip malls, you name it.

Administrator of Lighting-Gallery.net. Need help? PM me.

Member of L-G since 2005.

Collector of vintage bulbs, street lights and fluorescent fixtures.

Electrician.

Also a fan of cars, travelling, working out, food, hanging out.

Power company: Southern California Edison.

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Mercury Vapor lights in your area still maintained? « Reply #1 on: December 12, 2019, 02:57:56 PM » Author: dor123
At Ya'akov Steinberg street, there are 6 Gaash Hila 125W MV lanterns near the kindergarten. They are maintained thanks to me calling Kiryat Ata for every not working lantern.
All of them takes 3-4 min to run-up and 3 min to restrike.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Mr. Orthosilicate

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Mercury Vapor lights in your area still maintained? « Reply #2 on: December 13, 2019, 11:06:29 PM » Author: Mr. Orthosilicate
The last time I saw them change the bulbs on them was about 10 years ago. If they’re not maintained anymore, there at least not actively removing them either. Nowadays when they fail they are replaced with LED. At one time they were changed out for HPS, and I’ve even seen one fixture where they retrofitted in a new HPS ballast in an old mercury light as opposed to just throwing it out. There are areas with random HPS lights interspersed in mercury, but now they put in LED to keep the light color the same. My area’s main roads are either LED or HPS, but they are not intermixed. The mercury lights are all on residential streets or in school parking lots. There are old NEMA heads on some streets and at the schools. Oddly enough, two schools in my area both have operational mercury vapor gumball lights, even though one of those schools has been closed for years. There is also a street or two lit up with only mercury vapor gumballs for quite a ways down the road.
High Intensity

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Mercury Vapor lights in your area still maintained? « Reply #3 on: December 14, 2019, 12:53:37 AM » Author: High Intensity
There are a few places with mercury vapor lighting that's still being seviced.
Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Mercury Vapor lights in your area still maintained? « Reply #4 on: December 14, 2019, 01:03:17 PM » Author: Cole D.
Most of the MV street lights are in older parts of town, I don't know if they are still maintained. Some are quite bright, but others are quite greened out. I do know of an A/E 15-000 MV cobra that was dayburning a few years ago and since is working properly. So they at least put a new photocell on them.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Mercury Vapor lights in your area still maintained? « Reply #5 on: December 14, 2019, 01:49:49 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
Here, neither the city nor the utility services any MV . If it works they leave it alone but when a MV fixture fails it's swapped for a new fixture, be it HPS, or more recently LED.

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

Edmund Ironside

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Mercury Vapor lights in your area still maintained? « Reply #6 on: December 14, 2019, 04:26:27 PM » Author: Edmund Ironside
In my town we have two by the muncipality maintained installations.

- One short walking path close to the highway, four Philips SGS203 lanterns with 80W Osram HQL's in them.
- A parking lot at a local school has one 250W Järnkonst 7455 lantern.

There are some installations on factories and private properties but most of them are greened out and or poorly maintained. Spot replacements with LED fixtures or LED retrofits are the norm but some does seem to have brand new bulbs on hand to maintain their fixtures.

Made in Sweden

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Mercury Vapor lights in your area still maintained? « Reply #7 on: December 14, 2019, 05:22:14 PM » Author: joseph_125
I'm not really sure. Almost all the publically owned MV lights are gone and the remaining MV parking lot lights and indoor MV recessed downlights seem to haven't been relamped in ages.

I've also seen a good number of MV recessed downlights replaced with screw in LED lamps over the past two years too. I kinda suspect that when they call in someone to relamp an old dimmed mercury can the person upsells them to a screw in LED conversion.
paintballer22

View Posts
View Gallery

120V/240V 60hz

Re: Mercury Vapor lights in your area still maintained? « Reply #8 on: December 14, 2019, 09:25:08 PM » Author: paintballer22
All public street lights are now LEDs very few are HPS. The only maintained mercs was at my paintball field now they have been taken down but awaiting new homes.
fluorescent lover 40

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Mercury Vapor lights in your area still maintained? « Reply #9 on: December 15, 2019, 12:44:54 AM » Author: fluorescent lover 40
CalTrans still maintains the MV sign lights over here. Other than that, not really.
Silverliner
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Rare white reflector

GoL
Re: Mercury Vapor lights in your area still maintained? « Reply #10 on: December 15, 2019, 04:17:13 AM » Author: Silverliner
The cities of Los Angeles, Pasadena, Newport Beach, Riverside, and West Covina still service MV lights as far as I know. Culver City and San Gabriel has lots of series MVs but they're relamped with MH now.

Electrician.

Miles

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Mercury Vapor lights in your area still maintained? « Reply #11 on: December 19, 2019, 05:55:45 PM » Author: Miles
Same with Beverly Hills, their OV20s on Santa Monica Blvd are all running bright. No dimmed green bulbs!
DTLA OV15s are green and dim, completely useless other than keeping the American town aesthetic.
Silverliner
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Rare white reflector

GoL
Re: Mercury Vapor lights in your area still maintained? « Reply #12 on: December 19, 2019, 11:56:10 PM » Author: Silverliner
Miles, last night I saw a pretty big pocket of MV on Riverside Drive in Toluca Lake, a section of LA near Burbank. Mostly M400s. Almost all were dim and useless. A few have been relamped and they're so bright they stand out from the crowd. Incandescent lights are also still in use under the freeway overpasses on Riverside Dr. A bit further to the east, there's an overpass with short poles and gumballs underneath. These got LED cobs inside now.

Electrician.

Jovan

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Mercury Vapor lights in your area still maintained? « Reply #13 on: December 25, 2019, 04:02:31 AM » Author: Jovan
Only factories and private properties use mercury and sodium lamps.On streets there is LED.
Michael

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Mercury Vapor lights in your area still maintained? « Reply #14 on: December 25, 2019, 04:48:21 AM » Author: Michael
Not really anymore. We have a large amount of spare bulbs stored in shelfs but only very few I use as replacement in our region.

All except one MV post top fixtures are now having shunted ballast and runs LED 21W E27 since 2016. Between 2012 and 2016 I made trials to use cfl 30W lamps which indeed worked well but as soon they haven’t been available anymore we now use these LED.

The industrial site near our town uses now plug- in CMH lamps from Philips instead of their original MV 250/400W.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies