Author Topic: What causes arctube on HQL lamps to black  (Read 1568 times)
Jovan

View Posts
View Gallery

What causes arctube on HQL lamps to black « on: December 25, 2019, 03:50:45 PM » Author: Jovan
Hello to everyone.I saw on HQL lamps that they tend to black after longer usage.What causes this and why HPS lamps rarely have black arctube after long working hours ?

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: What causes arctube on HQL lamps to black « Reply #1 on: December 26, 2019, 12:05:31 AM » Author: dor123
Electrodes material sputtering into the arctube, causes it to black. HPS arctubes are narrower, so they are usually blackening at the ends only, similar to fluorescent lamps. If the entire HPS arctube blackening, this means that the arctube leaking.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Jovan

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What causes arctube on HQL lamps to black « Reply #2 on: December 26, 2019, 07:58:44 AM » Author: Jovan
Electrodes material sputtering into the arctube, causes it to black. HPS arctubes are narrower, so they are usually blackening at the ends only, similar to fluorescent lamps. If the entire HPS arctube blackening, this means that the arctube leaking.

Thanks for reply.That is bad thing for such lamp.
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What causes arctube on HQL lamps to black « Reply #3 on: December 30, 2019, 05:08:01 AM » Author: Medved
Thanks for reply.That is bad thing for such lamp.

This is in fact virtually the only way how they wear out. After some time this blackening blocks so much light, it became uneconomical to keep the lamp vs replacing it with a fresh new one, so it became aneffective end of lamp life.

No more selfballasted c***

Jovan

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What causes arctube on HQL lamps to black « Reply #4 on: December 31, 2019, 12:16:15 PM » Author: Jovan
This is in fact virtually the only way how they wear out. After some time this blackening blocks so much light, it became uneconomical to keep the lamp vs replacing it with a fresh new one, so it became aneffective end of lamp life.

That is bad.I've seen that some older HQL lamps had special electrodes which cause arctube to become white as it ages.
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What causes arctube on HQL lamps to black « Reply #5 on: January 01, 2020, 10:27:00 AM » Author: Medved
This is still used, but then the arctube assemblies were redesigned to be smaller to boost the arc loading so the lamp efficacy. As consequence once the whitening agent gets consumed (as the rated life passes) and then the blackening goes very quickly (because of the high loading).
It is just the trade off between life and efficacy: The arctube is usually loaded so the lamp has the highest efficacy while still reaching the "standard" rated life (= 24k hours; with MVs it was when the light output drops to 50%). If the arctube is loaded more, it yields higher efficacy, but as well faster wear. Because the lifetime became rather standardized (24k hours), makers usually use any extra robustness to just boost the efficacy.
Because of the electricity costs, this actually makes a lot of sense: 24khours is perceived as a good optimum for the total cost of the light (purchase + energy + maintenance), longer life wont reduce the maintenance cost that much but it would mean higher energy costs; shorter life wont bring that much benefit in efficacy so energy cost, but would increase the maintenance cost.

No more selfballasted c***

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies