Author Topic: So, when are Cfl's gonna become collectable?  (Read 4150 times)
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: So, when are Cfl's gonna become collectable? « Reply #15 on: January 15, 2020, 11:14:10 AM » Author: Rommie
None of the ones we've got have ever refused to strike, including original Mk.1 Philips SL Prismatics.

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: So, when are Cfl's gonna become collectable? « Reply #16 on: January 15, 2020, 11:15:38 AM » Author: Rommie
I wish Philips made the European SL design over here. I would like one but there is really no way to operate them on 120v that I know of.
If you get any, you could always run them from a step-up transformer, I use either a step-down transformer (for the big lamps) or a Variac to run my 120V lamps. I'm fairly sure I've seen 120V versions of the Prismatics though, but I can't be certain.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 11:56:05 AM by sox35 » Logged

Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

Men of God

View Posts
View Gallery

jiachao.wei.71 chao_813975447 UChyTpXvlQ8ZCfBPP_lJjubg chao990613
Re: So, when are Cfl's gonna become collectable? « Reply #17 on: January 17, 2020, 04:15:49 AM » Author: Men of God
120V版本的应该是电子镇流器启动,美国的120V电感镇流器版本基本都是日本制造的。

我不会英文,所以我用中文,请你们用翻译网站翻译我打的字!

I can't in English, so I in Chinese, please use the translation website to translate my words!

View Posts
View Gallery

Tha SOX MADMANNN

Re: So, when are Cfl's gonna become collectable? « Reply #18 on: January 24, 2020, 07:51:12 AM » Author: 589
I have several Wally World brand (great value) CFLs that have 20k+ hours on them still going strong. I have one with 50k+ hours and it still burns, it’s just dimmer than the others. In fact I haven’t had to buy any lamps for inside my house in 10 years since these jokers refuse to burn out. Not to mention they run 12hrs a day in the case of my den lighting. Those run in open floor lamps base down which I’m sure helps keep the ballast cooler.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 07:52:43 AM by 589 » Logged

:lps:

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: So, when are Cfl's gonna become collectable? « Reply #19 on: January 24, 2020, 11:26:33 AM » Author: Rommie
I have several Wally World brand (great value) CFLs that have 20k+ hours on them still going strong. I have one with 50k+ hours and it still burns, it’s just dimmer than the others. In fact I haven’t had to buy any lamps for inside my house in 10 years since these jokers refuse to burn out. Not to mention they run 12hrs a day in the case of my den lighting. Those run in open floor lamps base down which I’m sure helps keep the ballast cooler.
That's not bad going, don't think I've ever had one last longer than 2 or 3 years, but other than a couple of 2D fixtures in the kitchen and bathroom, I don't routinely use them any more, I'm going back to incandescents in protest at the proliferation of LED  :inc:

migette1

View Posts
View Gallery

Peter

migette1
Re: So, when are Cfl's gonna become collectable? « Reply #20 on: February 02, 2020, 12:20:20 PM » Author: migette1
The simple answer is yes just keep them in a good clean dry box after 50yrs they will be worth a bomb, I have seen stuff thrown away as a kid appearing in antique shops take for example the candle stick phone or even the more common 300 type phone, worth pounds...don't throw anything away! yes I collect phones and other things since school days.

Interested in the history of electric lighting and incandescent in particular and neon glow lamps.

View Posts
View Gallery

Tha SOX MADMANNN

Re: So, when are Cfl's gonna become collectable? « Reply #21 on: February 02, 2020, 12:40:20 PM » Author: 589
It’s funny how folks used to trash talk CFLs and here we are now talking about collecting them, lol

:lps:

Roi_hartmann

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: So, when are Cfl's gonna become collectable? « Reply #22 on: February 02, 2020, 03:25:43 PM » Author: Roi_hartmann
It’s funny how folks used to trash talk CFLs and here we are now talking about collecting them, lol
I bet if something is going to replace LEDs one day I'm sure people talk about collecting them too. When I joined here little over ten years ago people here were talking trash about HPS and they hated it because it replaced MV lights.

Aamulla aurinko, illalla AIRAM

HomeBrewLamps

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: So, when are Cfl's gonna become collectable? « Reply #23 on: February 02, 2020, 08:43:45 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
I've always indiscriminately collected various light sources.

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: So, when are Cfl's gonna become collectable? « Reply #24 on: February 02, 2020, 09:03:47 PM » Author: Lumex120
I have always liked CFLs since they are kind of what I grew up with. Funny story, when I was really little (between ages of 2-4 or so) my house had CFLs that weren't instant on. I spent the first few years of my life thinking that all lights had that delay when turned on until one day we were staying in a hotel that had instant on lights. I was absolutely blown away when I first saw it.  ;D

Unofficial LG Discord

Patrick
Webmaster

View Posts
View Gallery

LightingGallery
Re: So, when are Cfl's gonna become collectable? « Reply #25 on: February 02, 2020, 09:23:26 PM » Author: Patrick
I'd actually consider early LED to be somewhat collectable as well.  Much like CFLs, manufacturers iterated though some designs that were bulky and expensive, but also higher quality in many ways.  As time went on, it's pretty much settled on the plastic snow cone shaped lamps and the glass filament-style.  Although I'm sure evolution will continue, it seems like LED lamps have remained largely unchanged over the past several years, and I expect these designs will be with us for the foreseeable future.

Patrick C., Administrator
Lighting-Gallery.net

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: So, when are Cfl's gonna become collectable? « Reply #26 on: February 02, 2020, 09:28:46 PM » Author: joseph_125
Yeah I have some early LEDs that are pretty unique like the Philips remote phosphor models both the ones with the exposed remote phosphor and the ones with the remote phosphor but behind a bulb. Also have one of the earlier Cree LED bulbs with their filament tower of LEDs.

Most of the LEDs in use are the plastic snow cone style or the filament ones, I pulled a lot of the early LEDs I have from service to add them to the collection.

Heh, I grew up with incandescent lighting in almost all household lights so I found the delayed start and long warmup from the earlier CFLs to be kinda strange actually lol
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies