Author Topic: Do anyone find they like the older style fixtures now?  (Read 3528 times)
Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Do anyone find they like the older style fixtures now? « on: January 18, 2020, 03:43:00 PM » Author: Cole D.
I used to not like the older style light fixtures, such as U-bent glass bathroom fixtures, drum style ceiling fixtures, and bedroom fixtures with the square wavy glass shades. But lately, I notice I seem to like these fixtures for some reason, and I think it's neat that they still sell them. I think as these fixtures get older, they will be appreciated more. I guessing these styles came around in the 1950s so they are getting to be historical eventually, I think, just as antique light fixtures from the 1930s-40s and before are considered antique and desirable now.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Do anyone find they like the older style fixtures now? « Reply #1 on: January 18, 2020, 08:23:37 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
I think it's all about nostalgia ! Back in the day , these old fixtures weren't anything special, but now that were older, seeing them brings back memories of places and people from our pasts .
« Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 11:35:22 PM by wide-lite 1000 » Logged

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich

Re: Do anyone find they like the older style fixtures now? « Reply #2 on: January 19, 2020, 05:30:28 AM » Author: AngryHorse
I use to have drum fittings around the house, both in the bathroom and kitchen, but I prefer open fixtures now.
I use to have a fluorescent drum fitting in the bathroom, but wanted to incorporate a night light into it that would be connected to my outside lighting circuit, but their wasn’t the room to do it in the original fitting.
So when I did an LED conversion I went with a rather unconventional set up shown in the photo below.

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

"Beauty fades, dumb is forever".......Judge Judy :D

Toiyabeshawn

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Do anyone find they like the older style fixtures now? « Reply #3 on: April 05, 2020, 03:22:21 PM » Author: Toiyabeshawn
There is something about the quality that was put into the early equipment. Growing up with a particular experience where you remember seeing a type of street light come on at night or being in a room with a two lamp hooded fluorescent fixture with a porcelain reflector instead of cheap painted metal.. I love walking into my parts room in my shop and hearing that wonderful hum of the “HO” magnetic ballasts.. Fixture lenses use to be made of high quality glass mostly... then the “less than quality” plastic revolution came. Now we have the really cheap, garbage china junk, non UV stabilized plastics that turn yellow in months instead of years... arrgghh!
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Do anyone find they like the older style fixtures now? « Reply #4 on: April 05, 2020, 03:38:02 PM » Author: Rommie
There's an old song that goes "Things ain't what they used to be" and it's oh so true  :sadbulb:

I think nostalgia grows stronger as you get older. Youngsters today don't remember incandescent and MV streetlights, for example, so they don't miss them. I do and I do, and it's depressing to see LED taking over remorselessly. Will people miss LED's in years to come..? Maybe, but I'm glad I probably won't be here to see it :sadbulb:

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Miles

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Do anyone find they like the older style fixtures now? « Reply #5 on: April 06, 2020, 06:32:35 PM » Author: Miles
Beauty is subjective and often personal taste. Some enjoy them, other don't for many different reasons.

I used to have fluorescent lighting in main living areas. Now I cringe that I actually had that in my house, there's a place and time for bright sterile light, usually the office, at work, a gas station or a parking garage. I want to chill when I get home with warm light. But I still collect them and part of the hobby.

So yes, tastes absolutely change and shift over time.

– To reply to Toiyabeshawn: There was always a drive by corporations to manufacture cheaper for a higher profit, because customers always seeked out the lowest bid. What matters and skews perspective is the technology and advancements available at a particular time: Porcelain enamel was the cheapest and fastest method to coat something in weatherproof material, toss it in an oven, bake, massively F-up the environment in the process and you're done. Powdercoating wasn't the easiest, fastest, most durable or most profitable method.

If there are plastics yellowing prematurely that's because customers want the cheapest. Blame the demand, not the manufacture.
Nothing mass produced is made with the mindset that it must be expensive. It's just that there's a cheaper solution waiting around the corner. From cast metal, to bakelite, to plastic.

You appreciate that older stuff because the materials are no longer used and so, feel "analog" (glass, iron, ceramics) and those materials, those finishes are associated with old-time manufactured items. I don't appreciate plastics because it is still the choice of fabrication found on everything, therefore there is nothing "special" about it.
Cavannus

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Do anyone find they like the older style fixtures now? « Reply #6 on: May 01, 2020, 11:27:58 PM » Author: Cavannus
I definitively agree with Mile's intelligent reply.
Nostalgia and change of taste are complex things.

I remember that as a teenager in the 80-90's, I was already interested in lighting and I liked the old ambiance of mercury lights, similar to moonlight with a special colour rendering. So now I love it, there is a sense of nostalgia over the original taste for this night ambiance.

I like led lighting for different reasons: the old 5mm headlamps because they were truly fascinating in 1999-2001 when they were new (I was among the first who used them for urban exploration, hiking, caving); the new warm-white led streetlights because they remind me incandescent lighting and so make the street of my city (Montréal) look like a small village.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies