Author Topic: LED Street Lights Blinking  (Read 18197 times)
CreeRSW207

View Posts
View Gallery

LED Street Lights Blinking « on: January 20, 2020, 09:35:03 AM » Author: CreeRSW207
Look at the photocell, it’s blinking too.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qrJpNVNbvqY

Long live the Incandescent streetlights!
Power Company: Eversource
Startup Landscaping/LED retrofit business.

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: LED Street Lights Blinking « Reply #1 on: January 20, 2020, 07:18:59 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
I've seen that before myself, I'd guess it was possibly a low voltage issue ?

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: LED Street Lights Blinking « Reply #2 on: January 20, 2020, 10:35:00 PM » Author: dor123
Lost neutral. This was already happened in Detroit: https://www.lighting-gallery.net/index.php?topic=4228.0

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: LED Street Lights Blinking « Reply #3 on: January 21, 2020, 05:11:56 AM » Author: dor123
Update: It seems that this is indeed a brownout, as each LED flashing independently from each other, and not in sync.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

CreeRSW207

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: LED Street Lights Blinking « Reply #4 on: January 21, 2020, 03:20:22 PM » Author: CreeRSW207
Lost neutral. This was already happened in Detroit: https://www.lighting-gallery.net/index.php?topic=4228.0
I’ve seen the Detroit ones too.

Long live the Incandescent streetlights!
Power Company: Eversource
Startup Landscaping/LED retrofit business.

Coolc1234

View Posts
View Gallery

Street_lights_usa
Re: LED Street Lights Blinking « Reply #5 on: August 22, 2020, 05:58:25 PM » Author: Coolc1234
this is happening becuase it seems that the city has installed these 7 pin smart photocontrol nodes (which is where that blinking light is) on top of the led street lights so there might be miss communication between the gateway control and the photocontrol.

Led street lights are the new aliens!

HPS_250

View Posts
View Gallery

Long live the HPS and SOX!

UCAjfrNb4v77ybEBBYqxZxiw
Re: LED Street Lights Blinking « Reply #6 on: August 22, 2020, 07:37:34 PM » Author: HPS_250
this is happening becuase it seems that the city has installed these 7 pin smart photocontrol nodes (which is where that blinking light is) on top of the led street lights so there might be miss communication between the gateway control and the photocontrol.

If I didn’t know that smart photocells were being used here, I would have said that these fixtures were in a brownout or had problems with low voltage. Low voltage in general can affect the LED drivers and cause them to flash, buzz, or flicker rapidly.

I’ve always been interested in all kinds of lighting, mainly incandescent and HID, and especially all kinds of sodium lamps (HPS/LPS). I’ll tolerate LED but I’m not a fan of it.
I’m not proud to say that my city has Devolved to LED.

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: LED Street Lights Blinking « Reply #7 on: August 23, 2020, 03:18:45 AM » Author: dor123
These LED lanterns have switching power supply as a driver, which can work on a wide range of voltage (Usually from 100V to 240V). They will flash only if the voltage is lower than the lowest rated voltage of the power supply.
In the last brownout of my hostel, at 7:00am, the voltage in most part of my hostel was 170V, and the LED fixture at the kitchen didn't flashed, but stayed on at full output. Same as the MR16 LED lamp. But the G9 LED lamp, which have a capacitive driver like my LED filament lamp, were dim and behaves like Halloween lamps.

RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: LED Street Lights Blinking « Reply #8 on: August 23, 2020, 03:52:05 AM » Author: RyanF40T12
low voltage.

The more you hate the LED movement, the stronger it becomes.

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: LED Street Lights Blinking « Reply #9 on: August 23, 2020, 04:47:50 AM » Author: dor123
I think "Smart photocontrol" is nothing more than wifi. These lanterns are controlled wireless from somewhere. The LED lanterns at Tiberias, have similar thing of them, and these are wifis.

tolivac

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: LED Street Lights Blinking « Reply #10 on: August 24, 2020, 12:43:25 AM » Author: tolivac
The BIG disadvantage of switching power supplies in LED drivers is they can generate RFI and EMI interfering with radio/TV reception unless properly designed and have filters on the primary and secondary side of the driver-ballast.Also keep the sec leads SHORT as possible.
RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: LED Street Lights Blinking « Reply #11 on: August 24, 2020, 08:28:02 PM » Author: RyanF40T12
We had 5 or 6 Philips Road Focus LED fixtures doing this in a section of street for one night as a result of an underground fault in the wiring that a contractor had hit during the day time while doing some boring to run fiber.  (incorrect utility locate done) They replaced the damaged section of underground power line the next day and the lights were back to normal, but it was a fun little section of road there for a bit.  We're going on 5+ years now since the change out from HPS over to the Road Focus 4000k LED fixtures and they are doing really well.  Very very few fixture issues.  Only thing noticeable is a slight color shift, them taking on a little bit of a greenish hue to them, but not as bad a hue as I've seen some of the other manufacturers that shifted from 4000K to look almost like Mercury Vapor <evil grin>  We've had temps in the 90s and a few low low 100s and temps to 20 below 0 and they keep on going.  We'll see how it plays out in the long run.  I'll be very pleased if they last 10+ years.  By now the cost savings have definitely more than paid for the upgrades.

Lightingguy1994
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: LED Street Lights Blinking « Reply #12 on: August 28, 2020, 11:07:16 PM » Author: Lightingguy1994
My city just changed some highway cobras out with some LED fixtures and two of them are defective and blinking. They look like those cheap ebay fixtures, i'll have to grab a pic next time I'm in the area.  Wish I knew where they dump the old fixtures, Id like me 3 matching 100 watt cobras lol

Administrator #5

RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: LED Street Lights Blinking « Reply #13 on: August 29, 2020, 05:11:28 AM » Author: RyanF40T12
I'm seeing CDOT (Colorado Department of Transportation) replacing more of the high poles that have 5 or 6 400 watt HPS fixtures on them with LEDs now and I like what I see so far.  I've seen 1 that was 4000k and it look good for that particular area, and then I saw a few either 3000 or 3500k which was nice too. 

LightsDelight

View Posts
View Gallery

Fred Dirst is watching you

UCp-ouYxSgmqTWUY4RGWyAFg rollaman82
Re: LED Street Lights Blinking « Reply #14 on: September 03, 2020, 10:16:04 PM » Author: LightsDelight
It's most likely due to more modern electronic photocells. The reason they are flashing could be due to a feedback loop. They use electronic ones for LED lighting due to the fact that LEDs can immediately switch. Older thermal types would be used on HID arragements as they have a 1 min response time for the cell to react to the change in light levels on the sensor.

Keep discharge lighting alive

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies