Author Topic: Mercury Vapor Since the Ban  (Read 6363 times)
Patrick
Webmaster

View Posts
View Gallery

LightingGallery
Mercury Vapor Since the Ban « on: January 29, 2009, 10:09:38 PM » Author: Patrick
Have most U.S. utilities and municipalities started installing High Pressure Sodium and Metal Halide replacement streetlights in areas previously lit only by Mercury Vapor since the ban took effect last year?  The last time I was in the Chicago area I noticed a few HPS spot replacements in chains which was previously all-MV on ComEd's utility poles.  MH would have blended in better with the DX mercs.

Patrick C., Administrator
Lighting-Gallery.net

chapman84
Re: Mercury Vapor Since the Ban « Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 10:22:42 PM » Author: chapman84
My utility company used to install mercury vapor fixtures until last year. They replace all of their mercury vapor ones with high pressure sodium lights anytime a fixture fails.

175 watt mercury vapor fixtures get replaced with 100 watt high pressure sodium fixtures.

250 and 400 watt mercury vapor fixtures get replaced with 200 watt high pressure sodium fixtures.

1000 watt mercury vapor fixtures get replaced with 400 watt high pressure sodium fixtures.
Silverliner
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Rare white reflector

GoL
Re: Mercury Vapor Since the Ban « Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 02:29:31 AM » Author: Silverliner
Believe it or not mercs are still spot replaced with mercs here in Southern California! They must still have stocks of them. Two weeks ago I saw a new merc on a new pole on the 118 Freeway that replaced a knockdown. Occasionally in the city of Los Angeles I do see defective mercs get spot replaced by HPS or MH, depending on wattage.

Administrator of Lighting-Gallery.net. Need help? PM me.

Member of L-G since 2005.

Collector of vintage bulbs, street lights and fluorescent fixtures.

Electrician.

Also a fan of cars, travelling, working out, food, hanging out.

Power company: Southern California Edison.

fran4001

View Posts
View Gallery

Fran Festa hofnerholic
Re: Mercury Vapor Since the Ban « Reply #3 on: February 01, 2009, 02:30:25 PM » Author: fran4001
Here in PPL territory, northeast PA, they haven't installed a new merc fixture since probably 1980 or so. Any spot replacements were 100/150 HPS and any new installs were the same. We still had 327w incandescents in many neighborhoods until the 80s, and went directly from inc. to HPS! Skipped a whole chapter in history.
Foxtronix

View Posts
View Gallery

Formerly "TiCoune66". Also known here as Vince.

GoL UCs4tSgJSCoCIMGThBuaePhA
Re: Mercury Vapor Since the Ban « Reply #4 on: February 01, 2009, 05:41:41 PM » Author: Foxtronix
Here new mercury vapor fixtures are still installed in private properties. In roads no mercury vapor streetlights since 15 years at least.

lite_lover

View Posts
View Gallery

Darren

GoL darren.harward
Re: Mercury Vapor Since the Ban « Reply #5 on: February 01, 2009, 05:51:03 PM » Author: lite_lover
Same here, mercury vapour China buckets are still available.No more mercury streetlights installed since 1991 when the big change-over to HPS began.

The brighter the better.

chapman84
Re: Mercury Vapor Since the Ban « Reply #6 on: February 01, 2009, 05:59:03 PM » Author: chapman84
some older mercury fixtures in my area are converted to hps,most are scraped,some mercs are even relamped,though this rarely occurs.
chapman84
Re: Mercury Vapor Since the Ban « Reply #7 on: February 01, 2009, 06:26:06 PM » Author: chapman84
Duquesne Light stopped installing mercury vapor streetlights after 2005. Mercury Vapor replacements declined rapidly between 2004-2006 then they just stopped installing them.
Silverliner
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Rare white reflector

GoL
Re: Mercury Vapor Since the Ban « Reply #8 on: February 01, 2009, 10:04:58 PM » Author: Silverliner
PG&E in Northern California stopped installing mercs in '78 or so. They started changing to HPS around '79 and continued into the early 80s. Pretty early! Many of PG&E's GE M-250R1s lack the weep holes in the doors which mean they're pre 80s, also their ITT 25s are of the 70s design with the older door latch.

Electrician.

gmercury2000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Mercury Vapor Since the Ban « Reply #9 on: February 01, 2009, 10:58:22 PM » Author: gmercury2000
Out here mercs were installed as replacements up till the ban took affect. There were hundreds of NOS merc fixtures in the warehouse but the MD government said no new mercs, though the ban said no new ballasts. Otherwise I'm sure they would have used up the remaining stock. Most of the fixtures were sold off to other utilities and others were converted to HPS. Soon we will be going to Pulse start MH as well! This ban is a bunch of BS.
TudorWhiz

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Mercury Vapor Since the Ban « Reply #10 on: February 02, 2009, 01:52:29 AM » Author: TudorWhiz
Actually Geoff, i noticed our utility kept going until around April 2007 like 3 months after the ban......

For pictures of my streetlight collection and other streetlight pictures with some various pictures that are not in this website, please visit http://www.galleryoflights.org/  under GullWhiz

Administrator of Galleryoflights.org

Silverliner
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Rare white reflector

GoL
Re: Mercury Vapor Since the Ban « Reply #11 on: February 02, 2009, 04:56:58 AM » Author: Silverliner
Gull you meant April 2008 right?

Electrician.

TudorWhiz

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Mercury Vapor Since the Ban « Reply #12 on: February 02, 2009, 08:52:59 AM » Author: TudorWhiz
yep....

For pictures of my streetlight collection and other streetlight pictures with some various pictures that are not in this website, please visit http://www.galleryoflights.org/  under GullWhiz

Administrator of Galleryoflights.org

Mercury Man

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Mercury Vapor Since the Ban « Reply #13 on: February 02, 2009, 03:26:34 PM » Author: Mercury Man
There is a town on Long Island, Massapequa Park, which is still lit predominantly with mercury vapor, and recently LIPA (Long Island Power Authority) did a mass changeout of the lamps so now they are really bright.  The only case there in which a merc would be replaced with a HPS fixture is if the fixture gets broken.  It's cool to drive through there at night because there is NO sodium light at all!
chapman84
Re: Mercury Vapor Since the Ban « Reply #14 on: February 02, 2009, 04:47:28 PM » Author: chapman84
Allegheny Power stopped installing mercury vapor streetlights after March of 2008 since they're not allowed to install them anymore in PA. That's what I heard from a Duquesne Light lineman.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies