Author Topic: Looking for clear SBMV  (Read 1720 times)
RadiantMV

View Posts
View Gallery

Looking for clear SBMV « on: May 03, 2020, 04:05:36 PM » Author: RadiantMV
Im looking for a clear self ballasted mercury vapor bulb, any wattage or voltage will do. Thanks!
Mr. Orthosilicate

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Looking for clear SBMV « Reply #1 on: May 03, 2020, 10:38:03 PM » Author: Mr. Orthosilicate
Here’s a 250w one:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/PREMIUM-QUALITY-SELF-BALLASTED-METAL-HALIDE-LAMP-250W-E40-5000K-HYDROPONICS/282148018706?hash=item41b1551a12:g:w0gAAOSwd0BVuRxf

And here’s a 400w one:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/PREMIUM-QUALITY-SELF-BALLASTED-METAL-HALIDE-LAMP-400W-E40-5000K-HYDROPONICS/282148014398?hash=item41b155093e:g:c2UAAOSwPcVVuSIJ

Pay no attention to the fact they say that they are metal halide lamps; they are some random chinese bulb that is incorrectly labeled. Several members here have them and can confirm that they are indeed self ballasted mercury lamps.
Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: Looking for clear SBMV « Reply #2 on: May 03, 2020, 10:40:28 PM » Author: Lumex120
Those lamps you linked are 240v which could be problematic.

Unofficial LG Discord

RadiantMV

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Looking for clear SBMV « Reply #3 on: May 04, 2020, 12:14:02 PM » Author: RadiantMV
Here’s a 250w one:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/PREMIUM-QUALITY-SELF-BALLASTED-METAL-HALIDE-LAMP-250W-E40-5000K-HYDROPONICS/282148018706?hash=item41b1551a12:g:w0gAAOSwd0BVuRxf

And here’s a 400w one:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/PREMIUM-QUALITY-SELF-BALLASTED-METAL-HALIDE-LAMP-400W-E40-5000K-HYDROPONICS/282148014398?hash=item41b155093e:g:c2UAAOSwPcVVuSIJ

Pay no attention to the fact they say that they are metal halide lamps; they are some random chinese bulb that is incorrectly labeled. Several members here have them and can confirm that they are indeed self ballasted mercury lamps.
I've seen those, but I'm not sure if they would work for me since they're hybrid/blended halogen bulbs
sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Looking for clear SBMV « Reply #4 on: May 04, 2020, 12:52:27 PM » Author: sol
All SBMV lamps are hybrid/blended because the tungsten filament is the ballasting element. Mercury arc tubes need a ballast which can be reactive (core and coil) or resistive (tungsten filament).

If you’re looking for pure MV light, then you need a clear standard MV lamp and an external ballast.
RadiantMV

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Looking for clear SBMV « Reply #5 on: May 04, 2020, 02:00:23 PM » Author: RadiantMV
All SBMV lamps are hybrid/blended because the tungsten filament is the ballasting element. Mercury arc tubes need a ballast which can be reactive (core and coil) or resistive (tungsten filament).

If you’re looking for pure MV light, then you need a clear standard MV lamp and an external ballast.

Are even the older models blended? Like the fluomerics and iwasakis?
sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Looking for clear SBMV « Reply #6 on: May 04, 2020, 02:07:14 PM » Author: sol
Yes, all self ballasted mercury lamps (those that run directly on mains) are blended because there needs to be a filament to act as a ballast. The only exception are the self-ballasted metal halide which have a small electronic ballast built in. However, those are not what you're after...

There is no escaping a ballast : the arc tube will destroy itself in a fraction of a second if there is no ballast. Either the ballast is a filament such as SBMV or a standard ballast separate from the lamp.

I believe most people who collect insects at night prefer a standard clear mercury vapour lamp, which of course requires a separate ballast.
RadiantMV

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Looking for clear SBMV « Reply #7 on: May 04, 2020, 03:41:28 PM » Author: RadiantMV
Yes, all self ballasted mercury lamps (those that run directly on mains) are blended because there needs to be a filament to act as a ballast. The only exception are the self-ballasted metal halide which have a small electronic ballast built in. However, those are not what you're after...

There is no escaping a ballast : the arc tube will destroy itself in a fraction of a second if there is no ballast. Either the ballast is a filament such as SBMV or a standard ballast separate from the lamp.

I believe most people who collect insects at night prefer a standard clear mercury vapour lamp, which of course requires a separate ballast.

Okay thanks. I'll probably buy some of those then though I'm still looking for other models, my favorite being the fluomeric 750w though those are very rare. Also a lot of insect collectors do use SBMV and not regular ballast.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 03:43:03 PM by MothTrapper16 » Logged
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies