Author Topic: Update on LPS fixture sales (sort of).  (Read 8844 times)
mdcastle

View Posts
View Gallery

mdcastle 26956281@N02
Re: Update on LPS fixture sales (sort of). « Reply #15 on: January 06, 2021, 10:29:44 AM » Author: mdcastle
Fixtures all have 120 / 208 / 240 / 277 ballasts factory wired for 240.  55 and 90 watt have a factory mount for a standard PC socket but are not equipped with one (I do have some extra sockets I pulled off damaged 135 watters). 135 watts have a socket with a shorting cap that was field bypassed. The condition: they are what they are, I will be providing individual photos. They spent their service life subject to salt spray from passing trucks, but they light. Shipped cost will be under $133 for sure. I'm thinking of going with the $35-$50 figure someone suggested since that figure was kind of in the back of my mind before, and shipping would be about $25-$50 depending on how far you are from Minneapolis.

Metal Halide Boy

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Update on LPS fixture sales (sort of). « Reply #16 on: January 06, 2021, 11:20:31 AM » Author: Metal Halide Boy
Fixtures all have 120 / 208 / 240 / 277 ballasts factory wired for 240.  55 and 90 watt have a factory mount for a standard PC socket but are not equipped with one (I do have some extra sockets I pulled off damaged 135 watters). 135 watts have a socket with a shorting cap that was field bypassed. The condition: they are what they are, I will be providing individual photos. They spent their service life subject to salt spray from passing trucks, but they light. Shipped cost will be under $133 for sure. I'm thinking of going with the $35-$50 figure someone suggested since that figure was kind of in the back of my mind before, and shipping would be about $25-$50 depending on how far you are from Minneapolis.

That sounds good, I can make a hole for PC socket, and I can rewire for 120v. BTW I`m in North Carolina.
Diamondback Dave

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Update on LPS fixture sales (sort of). « Reply #17 on: January 06, 2021, 01:15:30 PM » Author: Diamondback Dave
Another idea is you could set up a “bid” post with a cut off date.
HPS_250

View Posts
View Gallery

Long live the HPS and SOX!

UCAjfrNb4v77ybEBBYqxZxiw
Re: Update on LPS fixture sales (sort of). « Reply #18 on: January 06, 2021, 02:15:37 PM » Author: HPS_250

Sounds like a good plan to sell these. I may be interested in one of these fixtures soon. I would prefer it to be in fair condition, but as long as the refractor/glass is not broken and all of the components work it’s fine. I can get a SOX lamp, because I don’t have any right now.

I’ve always been interested in all kinds of lighting, mainly incandescent and HID, and especially all kinds of sodium lamps (HPS/LPS). I’ll tolerate LED but I’m not a fan of it.
I’m not proud to say that my city has Devolved to LED.

CreeRSW207

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Update on LPS fixture sales (sort of). « Reply #19 on: January 06, 2021, 06:17:28 PM » Author: CreeRSW207
I’d like one when you get the chance. :)

Long live the Incandescent streetlights!
Power Company: Eversource
Startup Landscaping/LED retrofit business.

DieselNut

View Posts
View Gallery

John

jonathon.graves johng917 GeorgiaJohn
Re: Update on LPS fixture sales (sort of). « Reply #20 on: January 14, 2021, 03:51:16 PM » Author: DieselNut
I am definitely interested in a 55 watt one.  If it includes a lamp, even better!

Preheat Fluorescents forever!
I love diesel engines, rural/farm life and vintage lighting!

Metal Halide Boy

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Update on LPS fixture sales (sort of). « Reply #21 on: January 19, 2021, 07:34:20 AM » Author: Metal Halide Boy
Are you ready yet?
mdcastle

View Posts
View Gallery

mdcastle 26956281@N02
Re: Update on LPS fixture sales (sort of). « Reply #22 on: January 19, 2021, 07:48:09 PM » Author: mdcastle
No boxes yet (sigh). I called Uline and they said "maybe by the end of the month.
Metal Halide Boy

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Update on LPS fixture sales (sort of). « Reply #23 on: January 20, 2021, 11:49:57 AM » Author: Metal Halide Boy
I`ll try to be patient.
app87k

View Posts
View Gallery

identify my profile pic :)

Re: Update on LPS fixture sales (sort of). « Reply #24 on: January 21, 2021, 01:26:05 AM » Author: app87k
Yeah, I would LOVE to get a 55w fixture. As all I have right now is a jig that I set up with 2x4 wood!

"You take a chance getting up in the morning, crossing the street, or sticking your face in a fan."

Collector of lights, bulbs, lanterns, computers, guns. Everything I post should either be considered "set up temporarily", or for "demonstration purposes only", unless otherwise noted.

mdcastle

View Posts
View Gallery

mdcastle 26956281@N02
Re: Update on LPS fixture sales (sort of). « Reply #25 on: January 29, 2021, 01:19:02 PM » Author: mdcastle
And the boxes are here.. For starters I got 20 suitable for 55/90 fixtures and 10 for 135 fixtures. Unfortunately there's supposed to be significant snow this weekend so it might be another week before I can do the first listing.
Metal Halide Boy

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Update on LPS fixture sales (sort of). « Reply #26 on: January 29, 2021, 02:05:18 PM » Author: Metal Halide Boy
And the boxes are here.. For starters I got 20 suitable for 55/90 fixtures and 10 for 135 fixtures. Unfortunately there's supposed to be significant snow this weekend so it might be another week before I can do the first listing.

If the max price with shipping for a 55w one is under $110.00, please PM me.
Metal Halide Boy

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Update on LPS fixture sales (sort of). « Reply #27 on: January 29, 2021, 02:08:56 PM » Author: Metal Halide Boy
BTW I`m not generally on here after 4.00 PM on weekdays, and not at all on Saturday and Sunday.
Lightbulb Maniac

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Update on LPS fixture sales (sort of). « Reply #28 on: February 06, 2021, 03:08:32 AM » Author: Lightbulb Maniac
I really want a sox light. I don't come here often. I have trouble using the forum. Please email me. josephbrown10299@gmail.com thanks 😊
mdcastle

View Posts
View Gallery

mdcastle 26956281@N02
Re: Update on LPS fixture sales (sort of). « Reply #29 on: February 14, 2021, 09:43:11 PM » Author: mdcastle
So here's how I think I'm going to conduct the sales, again I welcome feedback from the group if you have additional suggestions or comments on the workflow.

Shipping will be from 55420, small fixtures are in a 12" by 12" by 30" box, large fixtures will be a 12" by 12" by 60" box. Unless other arrangements are made shipping will by USPS ground, the cheapest method I've found if you don't need something in a  big hurry.  If you'd like to try to do a shipping calculation you can say 30 pounds for the small and 40 for the large, but it won't really matter because dimensional weight will apply. I also have an account at FedEx if someone would like that for some reason but they will probably be more.

I think the price will be $35 for a fixture with no lamp or $50 for a fixture with a lamp, any wattage since that's the only suggestion I got from the board. Or make an offer. 

Payment methods accepted.- Money Orders, Personal Checks, Cashiers Checks, and PayPal

I'm going to pull fixtures from the top of the pile. For the small fixtures these tend to be 55 watt fixtures with lamps as I tended to put the 55 watt fixtures on top due to their lighter weight.

Ballast covers may not be original to the fixture. As I was testing them I got some mixed up and then stopped even trying to keep them straight. Unless noted the reflector is original and the lamp is the one that came with the fixture. All gear is original.

At this time sockets, good lamps and gear are not for sale separate from a complete fixture. I do have a five gallon bucket filled with a variety of other small parts: photocell sockets, shorting caps, wiring blocks, lamp supports etc.

All fixtures have 120 / 208 / 240 / 277 multitap ballasts wired for 240, and I tested them at 240.

All the gear have light surface corrosion and buzz slightly, the 55 watt versions are a bit louder and I've noted the unusually loud ones. The 55 watt fixtures can take a 35 watt lamp by just moving the lamp support to be closer to socket.

Small fixtures have no PC socket but a place is provided to mount one. Larger ones come with a socket and shorting cap that was field bypassed. A shorting cap will be included if desired but will not be the one original to the fixture. (I took them all off to make the fixtures stack better and just tossed them in a bucket).

The small fixtures are metal and all have corrosion and flaking paint to a various degree from exposure to salt spray in a northern climate. 55 watt fixtures have a bit of light blue spray-paint around the mounting post from crews painting the bridge girders. The large fixtures actually look cleaner since the outside is fiberglass. All the refractors have a slight yellowing.

I'm nervous about whether the lamps can survive shipping since they're well used and some didn't even survive the trip back. When it comes time to pack them, probably I will remove the lamp from the socket, unscrew the support, and then wrap the lamp in bubble wrap inside the fixture, while surrounding the fixture itself with packing peanuts or butcher paper.

Since I still have a full time job and other things to do, I'll probably list a fixture every week to every other week or so depending on my schedule and the weather.

Local pickup for any fixtures, not just those listed, is available (south Minneapolis suburbs) provided you respect social distance and not request to enter the house for any reason, and can arrange to come during a weekend or evening when I'm not working. A 240 volt outlet is available in the garage if you'd like to test one out before buying.  Normally I'd love to show off my lamp, traffic signal and Christmas light collection but we're in a pandemic now.

At this time I'm not saving fixtures for anyone. One person asked, and if it really does get down low, I'll save a fixture for them, but I don't see the need to reserve one now.

First person to PM me after the listing gets it and I'll reply in 24 hours with a shipping quote. You can assume you're not the first within 24 hours if I don't reply or I may simply reply "Sold". I will see if I can remove or edit the listing when it's been sold.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2021, 09:53:18 PM by mdcastle » Logged
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies