Author Topic: Asking for a little help with a 240v box thing  (Read 3531 times)
Bulbman256

View Posts
View Gallery

Mad Max

Bulbman256
Asking for a little help with a 240v box thing « on: August 17, 2020, 09:44:01 PM » Author: Bulbman256
So im going to be getting some 240v bulbs from Sox35 (Thanks Ria!) soon and need to figure out a way to sufficiently power them. My plan is to have a duplex box containing both nema 6-15 and 5-15 outlets that will power the bulbs on 240v and have an one outlet for each phase for running thing on 120v if i need to with it. Then i would have two wire that would plug into two outlets on opposite phases of one another (i have found two that are really close together) I want to have one duplex 6-15 outlet and one 5-15. Problem is that i cant find 6-15 duplex outlets in white which is what i use for all of my projects. I dont like having mismatched gear but they do sell outlets with a 5-15 and 6-15 outlet in one unit and i could use two of them. Which one should i use? I want to have duplex ones as well as i may want to run multiple lights at once and i also wanna use this for 240v only ballasts. I may not be able to do what you guys say i will have to check what they have in stock at home depo when i go next time

Pic of the socket:

Collecting light bulbs since 2012, a madman since birth.

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Asking for a little help with a 240v box thing « Reply #1 on: August 18, 2020, 02:51:04 PM » Author: Ash
You could use one like what's in the picture. To wire it you gotta have both Phases, Neutral, and Earth (4 wires) in the box. If the box had been wired for a split phase socket (with the broken off jumper) beforehand, then it is suitable

If you want more than one socket for plugging few things at once, just use a power strip. (For the 240V, if there is no factory made option, i guess you can make your own using a surface mount device box)

Or you could install a 2P+N+PE socket of some type in the wall (dryer socket ?), and make a set of adapters from it (to 5-15, 6-15, etc)
Xytrell

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Asking for a little help with a 240v box thing « Reply #2 on: August 20, 2020, 11:04:30 AM » Author: Xytrell
Why not two separate outlets? Either in the same box, different boxes, or having the 6-15 as a cable end connector rather than box-mount?
Bulbman256

View Posts
View Gallery

Mad Max

Bulbman256
Re: Asking for a little help with a 240v box thing « Reply #3 on: August 20, 2020, 11:36:00 AM » Author: Bulbman256
Why not two separate outlets? Either in the same box, different boxes, or having the 6-15 as a cable end connector rather than box-mount?

Im having them  in a box because there is two wires coming in and i cant do that with a end plug.

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Asking for a little help with a 240v box thing « Reply #4 on: August 20, 2020, 02:59:15 PM » Author: Ash
If there are 2 wires coming in then it doesn't even have Earth... so not suitable for plugging in random luminaires at all

If there are 2 wires + Earth, then you might have either 120V or 240V based on how they are supplied upstream (P N or P1 P2), but then you cannot have both 120V and 240V in the same box

You need 3 wires (P1, P2, N) + Earth to be able to use both 120V and 240V using a receptacle like in the picture
Bulbman256

View Posts
View Gallery

Mad Max

Bulbman256
Re: Asking for a little help with a 240v box thing « Reply #5 on: August 20, 2020, 05:00:04 PM » Author: Bulbman256
If there are 2 wires coming in then it doesn't even have Earth... so not suitable for plugging in random luminaires at all

If there are 2 wires + Earth, then you might have either 120V or 240V based on how they are supplied upstream (P N or P1 P2), but then you cannot have both 120V and 240V in the same box

You need 3 wires (P1, P2, N) + Earth to be able to use both 120V and 240V using a receptacle like in the picture

What im doign is have 2 120v plugs with ground neutral and hot that are 180 degrees phass shifted. Im also not usign that outlet anymore, im goign to go ahad and get a normal 6-15 outlet and have a 5-15. Im gonna take the two phases from each plug and wire them to the 6-15.

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Asking for a little help with a 240v box thing « Reply #6 on: August 20, 2020, 05:47:11 PM » Author: Rommie
Preferably, and with safety in mind, get a step-up transformer and run the 240 lamps from that. Much safer than messing with outlets. We use a 240-110V step-down transformer here, or a Variac. If 60Hz is needed, we have a 400W inverter.

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Bulbman256

View Posts
View Gallery

Mad Max

Bulbman256
Re: Asking for a little help with a 240v box thing « Reply #7 on: August 20, 2020, 06:08:11 PM » Author: Bulbman256
Preferably, and with safety in mind, get a step-up transformer and run the 240 lamps from that. Much safer than messing with outlets. We use a 240-110V step-down transformer here, or a Variac. If 60Hz is needed, we have a 400W inverter.

I would like to get a step up transformer but i have to see the prices as they can be a bit costly and thsi woudl run the lamps for testing and photos. If i cant do either i will just run them on 120v.

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Asking for a little help with a 240v box thing « Reply #8 on: August 21, 2020, 03:10:33 AM » Author: Ash
An autotransformer does not make things safer or more dangerous, it only converts voltage. If you need 240V and can use 2 phases to get it, it is equal to 240V you would get from an autotransformer

Isolation transformers do affect safety in both way - They make the output floating, so eliminate the possibility of a shock between output and Earth, but they also hide the output from any upstream GFCIs so the GFCI cannot trip no matter what happens after the transformer. This means that if you touch both wires of the transformer output you will get shock, and it won't be interrupted even if you also touch Earth. Anyway, very few of the 120/240V step up/down transformers are made as isolation transformers

Avoid doing some other dangerous practices like connecting Neutral with Earth. They have to be 2 separate wires up to the panel, even if they are connected together in there. (Does not apply if you only use 240V, then you dont need the Neutral anyway)
joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Asking for a little help with a 240v box thing « Reply #9 on: August 21, 2020, 03:27:56 AM » Author: joseph_125
One main issue I see with feeding a lampholder with 240v using a phase to phase connection is that the screw shell of the lampholder will be energized at 120v to ground which is a practice prohibited by the CEC. (240v HID luminaires in Canada are equipped with CWI ballast which have a isolated output and the screw shell on the lampholders are referenced to ground instead).

Using a step up transformer allows you to leave the screw shell at Ov to ground and the centre contact at 240v to ground.

I typically use a stepup transformer to run my 240v lights but that's because I have a large 2000VA unit lying around.

I also have a 240v cord and a unused range outlet for when I need to run things off of "phase"-"phase" 240v. Do note if you're plugging into a range or dryer outlet you should have some means of fusing the load. A 240v fused disconnect or mini 2 space breaker panel at 15A is what I would use. You can usually get either at Home Depot or Lowe's.
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Asking for a little help with a 240v box thing « Reply #10 on: August 21, 2020, 04:20:54 AM » Author: Medved
One main issue I see with feeding a lampholder with 240v using a phase to phase connection is that the screw shell of the lampholder will be energized at 120v to ground which is a practice prohibited by the CEC. (240v HID luminaires in Canada are equipped with CWI ballast which have a isolated output and the screw shell on the lampholders are referenced to ground instead).

Using a step up transformer allows you to leave the screw shell at Ov to ground and the centre contact at 240v to ground.

I typically use a stepup transformer to run my 240v lights but that's because I have a large 2000VA unit lying around.

I also have a 240v cord and a unused range outlet for when I need to run things off of "phase"-"phase" 240v. Do note if you're plugging into a range or dryer outlet you should have some means of fusing the load. A 240v fused disconnect or mini 2 space breaker panel at 15A is what I would use. You can usually get either at Home Depot or Lowe's.

Or you have to use European style sockets that energize the shells only when the lamp is fully in so not "accessible" for the fingers (a mandatory feature for all residential sockets within EU, as the L vs N "polarity" is not guaranteed). Don't know, if this style is available or even possible (as it needs certain bulb neck shape to protect the thread from touching fingers) for standard north American lamp sockets (my guess likely not, otherwise they would be used instead of the more expensive and mainly less efficient isolated ballasts).

So if the aim is to find a way to use European lamps, then using European E27 sockets (having that feature - so proper "CE" one, not the cheepeese jokes) should be fine.

No more selfballasted c***

funkybulb

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Asking for a little help with a 240v box thing « Reply #11 on: August 21, 2020, 05:25:51 AM » Author: funkybulb
When First started messing with 240 volt lamps,  what
Ive done is took 5x 24 volt 75 VA Transformer on the low seconday side i wired all transformers in series to add them up to 120 volt.   Then check with my meter one at a time start paralleling my 240 volt output that gave me a
Total of 375 VA for each 5 bank of transformers,  reason
Was these transformers came out of scrap HVAC equipment and cost me next to nothing.  That what ive done for a while,   Until i found a old radio shack voltage conversion transformer that is  300 VA.  This one ran my
240 volt 8 foot pop pack while I was living in 120 volt 30 Amp camper trailer for 18 months.  That was my only source for 240 volt at that time.  But when i needed To run a 1 KW 480 volt ballast,   Those piles of 40 VA  common type of HVAC transformers that Saved,  i came up with a transformer bank rack. With all this series combo and series primary output I eventually got to power my 1 KW 480 volt street lights. Using free transformers.  Until I found a 120x240 volt secondary and  240 to 480 volt primary.  That one became my every day use lighting transformer to my test socket and power 240 volt lights in my home using 240/ 480 volt Split phase. I am using 240 volt RCD breaker at my bench no way that can trip but it there for RCD protection then it goes a 4 amp fuse block to protect my transformer for over loads

No LED gadgets, spins too slowly.  Gotta  love preheat and MV. let the lights keep my meter spinning.

Bulbman256

View Posts
View Gallery

Mad Max

Bulbman256
Re: Asking for a little help with a 240v box thing « Reply #12 on: August 21, 2020, 08:43:57 AM » Author: Bulbman256

Its a b22 socket that im goign to run with this.  :P

Xytrell

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Asking for a little help with a 240v box thing « Reply #13 on: August 21, 2020, 10:48:22 AM » Author: Xytrell
"wire" colloquially tends to mean single conductor. "cord" or "cable" is less likely to result in confusion.

What im doign is have 2 120v plugs...

2x 120V feeds enter an electrical box. In this box is a 120V outlet. Coming out of this box is a third feed which you put a 240V cable end outlet.

This isn't hard. If it IS hard for you, don't f :) k around with mains voltage.
Bulbman256

View Posts
View Gallery

Mad Max

Bulbman256
Re: Asking for a little help with a 240v box thing « Reply #14 on: August 21, 2020, 12:29:20 PM » Author: Bulbman256
"wire" colloquially tends to mean single conductor. "cord" or "cable" is less likely to result in confusion.

2x 120V feeds enter an electrical box. In this box is a 120V outlet. Coming out of this box is a third feed which you put a 240V cable end outlet.

This isn't hard. If it IS hard for you, don't f :) k around with mains voltage.

What? could you explain the first part a bit better. I do know what im doing and if your suggesting installing a 240v outlet i cant because my parents dont want one. Im jsut doign this to test 240v bulbs and take photos of them.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies