Author Topic: Using cheap HID lamps vs collection  (Read 3824 times)
Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Using cheap HID lamps vs collection « on: September 05, 2020, 03:17:36 PM » Author: Cole D.
This something I've been thinking about. The last few years I've been getting modern HPS and MV lamps for cheap (like $3 or $5) when the big box stores switch brands, like when Lowes went from Sylvania to GE and now Home Depot from Philips to Feit.

Yet I know of course these modern HID lamps aren't as good as the vintage ones were. But I have a hard time using lamps like Westinghouse Lifeguards and other well made lamps that aren't sold anymore. So to me getting these new lamps for cheap make good lamps to actually use someday and have on hand for replacement, without depleting the more collectible vintage lamps.

What does anyone else think about this?

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

fluorescent lover 40

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Using cheap HID lamps vs collection « Reply #1 on: September 05, 2020, 03:52:36 PM » Author: fluorescent lover 40
Got a modern Sylvania MV? Why not use it. Got a modern GE HPS? Why not use it. As for good modern MH, not sure on that one.

If you have a full case of Westinghouse 175w Lifeguards it doesn't hurt using one as they are still common to find, new or used.

But anything rare like 1000w MV lamps you should keep, even if you have a lot as they are becoming more uncommon by the day.
Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Using cheap HID lamps vs collection « Reply #2 on: September 05, 2020, 04:10:32 PM » Author: Ash
I dont generally collect "vintage" lamps, but the originals that came with luminaires i found, the oldest of which are from the 90s are what i have that amount in my view to vintage lamps

I may run those in one off occasions, such as when running the luminaire they came with for an one off event, which does not justify changing the lamp, if it had any to begin with

Whenever i expect that it will be in use for more than single events, i put in a modern lamp

There is some other consideration there however : Low quality of some modern and especially cheap lamps can put the luminaire at risk, for example exploding MH lamp damaging a Plastic refractor or stuck SON-I lamp damaging a ballast. (The latter is less of an issue as long as i am there and can switch off the power if the lamp malfunctions)
HPS_250

View Posts
View Gallery

Long live the HPS and SOX!

UCAjfrNb4v77ybEBBYqxZxiw
Re: Using cheap HID lamps vs collection « Reply #3 on: September 05, 2020, 08:36:58 PM » Author: HPS_250
I understand this, I like to keep most of my vintage HID lamps NOS. If you like to use HID lamps, why not get some modern lamps that are still decent quality? Eye MV lamps are still easy to get and decent quality.

I’ve always been interested in all kinds of lighting, mainly incandescent and HID, and especially all kinds of sodium lamps (HPS/LPS). I’ll tolerate LED but I’m not a fan of it.
I’m not proud to say that my city has Devolved to LED.

Bulbman256

View Posts
View Gallery

Mad Max

Bulbman256
Re: Using cheap HID lamps vs collection « Reply #4 on: September 05, 2020, 08:44:51 PM » Author: Bulbman256
I understand this, I like to keep most of my vintage HID lamps NOS. If you like to use HID lamps, why not get some modern lamps that are still decent quality? Eye MV lamps are still easy to get and decent quality.

Was about to mention Eye bulbs! :P They still make a full line of mv lamps and you can get them by the case for pretty darn cheap and there the best mv lamps out there. (they even still make 700w lamps!) 8)

Collecting light bulbs since 2012, a madman since birth.

HPS_250

View Posts
View Gallery

Long live the HPS and SOX!

UCAjfrNb4v77ybEBBYqxZxiw
Re: Using cheap HID lamps vs collection « Reply #5 on: September 05, 2020, 08:51:07 PM » Author: HPS_250
Was about to mention Eye bulbs! :P They still make a full line of mv lamps and you can get them by the case for pretty darn cheap and there the best mv lamps out there. (they even still make 700w lamps!) 8)

I agree with that. Eye lamps are basically the only MV lamps out there right now that are no cheaply made junk. It’s really cool that they still have 700w lamps too!

I’ve always been interested in all kinds of lighting, mainly incandescent and HID, and especially all kinds of sodium lamps (HPS/LPS). I’ll tolerate LED but I’m not a fan of it.
I’m not proud to say that my city has Devolved to LED.

Bulbman256

View Posts
View Gallery

Mad Max

Bulbman256
Re: Using cheap HID lamps vs collection « Reply #6 on: September 05, 2020, 08:54:52 PM » Author: Bulbman256
I agree with that. Eye lamps are basically the only MV lamps out there right now that are no cheaply made junk. It’s really cool that they still have 700w lamps too!

Yeah! Here is a link to there website here: :)

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Using cheap HID lamps vs collection « Reply #7 on: September 05, 2020, 10:34:01 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
I've been running an EYE 50w clear MV D2D for close to 2 years now and the arc tube still looks like a new lamp ! :o :poof:

I wouldn't dream of "wasting" vintage lamps for day to day use . every lamp I actually use outside is a  "nothing special" mass produced modern lamp .  As for the 700w MV , I think that EYE is the only manufacturer who still makes them !

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

View Posts
View Gallery

Tha SOX MADMANNN

Re: Using cheap HID lamps vs collection « Reply #8 on: September 05, 2020, 11:23:05 PM » Author: 589
I would have no problem running lifeguards if I had at least two of the lamp type I’m running. Since the lifespan is so long on them I would have no problem using them in D2D service. It might outlive me.

:lps:

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Using cheap HID lamps vs collection « Reply #9 on: September 05, 2020, 11:45:12 PM » Author: joseph_125
I only have one or two of each type of vintage NOS HID lamp in my collection so I tend to run modern lamps in my fixtures. Granted for lights that actually get a appreciable amount of use I'll use a well made modern lamp instead so Sylvania or Eye in the case of MV. 
Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Using cheap HID lamps vs collection « Reply #10 on: September 06, 2020, 10:42:35 PM » Author: Cole D.
I looked at the EYE website. They have some nice stuff!

Now I agree, I got some modern Sylvania MV and I'd probably use these.

What I won't use is any modern lamps that are questionable - such as anything labeled Brinks and most Feit stuff. Although the new Feit MV lamps seem pretty decent. But I don't trust these kinds of cheap lamps not to ruin ballasts in my fixtures.

I don't really have any vintage lamps, the oldest lamp I have is a 1987 GE MV /DX that came with my 201SA. Someday I'd like to have some Westinghouse Lifeguard lamps.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Using cheap HID lamps vs collection « Reply #11 on: September 07, 2020, 03:04:44 PM » Author: Ash
For the case of a lamp shorting out and destroying a ballast, i think adding a "trip and stay off" thermal switch externally attached to the ballast solves the issue completely. (But can this happen at all unless the lamp got an internal starter - which i dont think exists in the US ?)

For the case of a lamp's arc voltage being off-spec by design, i think those should simply be run on suitable ballasts.... So if for example a "fake 175W" lamp has an 125W arctube in it, then run it on a ballast suitable for the actual arctube present in the lamp

And for luminaire damage by exploding lamp - If it's optical unit is made of just metal and glass, then it can't melt even when a lamp explodes inside
HPSM250R2

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Using cheap HID lamps vs collection « Reply #12 on: September 07, 2020, 10:10:07 PM » Author: HPSM250R2

Where do you order yours by the case?
Bulbman256

View Posts
View Gallery

Mad Max

Bulbman256
Re: Using cheap HID lamps vs collection « Reply #13 on: September 07, 2020, 10:21:57 PM » Author: Bulbman256
Where do you order yours by the case?

I never had. :-[ But they should be pretty cheap, there is a link under the lamp listing saying contact us. Inquire about purchasing a case of lamps from them and see if they will sell you some.

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Using cheap HID lamps vs collection « Reply #14 on: September 13, 2020, 12:40:51 PM » Author: Rommie
Why do people buy lamps by the case and hoard them..? Do you really need so many..? Unless you have a dozen or more fixtures running dusk to dawn on a daily basis, you will never use them up, so why get them in the first place..?

Here, we do have a dozen or so 35W SOX lamps, but they're spares for the two fixtures we have running on a daily basis, so they will get used. But that's it; apart from that we only have maybe two or three at the most of any one lamp, if we get any more we're prepared to sell or trade them. If you have 100 lamps and are only using say 3, that's 97 lamps that aren't available for anyone else to buy. Not fair. Sorry, but that's how I see it.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2020, 12:45:31 PM by sox35 » Logged

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies