Author Topic: What led members to start their lighting collections in the first place?  (Read 1654 times)
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
What led members to start their lighting collections in the first place? « on: October 17, 2020, 03:20:28 AM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
I wonder what made people interested in collecting lighting?

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

fluorescent lover 40

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What led members to start their lighting collections in the first place? « Reply #1 on: October 17, 2020, 03:29:28 AM » Author: fluorescent lover 40
I remember a section of street lights before they got changed out at two years old. Made for it I’m sure. Standard cobraheads changed to decorative teardrops. Must be the reason for my collecting reasons. Save the old stuff.

I also noticed that not all lights are the same and that they are all unique.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2020, 03:31:21 AM by fluorescent lover 40 » Logged
wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What led members to start their lighting collections in the first place? « Reply #2 on: October 17, 2020, 03:33:33 AM » Author: wide-lite 1000
I've had a fascination with both lamps and lighting fixtures as long as I can remember .

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: What led members to start their lighting collections in the first place? « Reply #3 on: October 17, 2020, 10:30:23 AM » Author: Mandolin Girl
It was Ria who opened my eyes to the lighting bug.  :love: :-*

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: What led members to start their lighting collections in the first place? « Reply #4 on: October 17, 2020, 10:34:52 AM » Author: Rommie
I'd been collecting on and off since my early teens, but lost interest in my 20's onwards, then when I moved up here with Sammi my interest was re-kindled and she's got the bug as well now, as she's just said  :bulbman:

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

HPS_250

View Posts
View Gallery

Long live the HPS and SOX!

UCAjfrNb4v77ybEBBYqxZxiw
Re: What led members to start their lighting collections in the first place? « Reply #5 on: October 17, 2020, 01:36:04 PM » Author: HPS_250
When I was just 3 years old, my mom would walk around with me in a stroller and I would ask to stop under every cobrahead (mercury vapor, at the time) so I could read the NEMA tag. That was my first interest in lighting, and since then I was interested in all kinds of lighting. I just started collecting last year and I felt that I wanted to preserve some vintage lighting in the midst of how far LEDs have gone.

I’ve always been interested in all kinds of lighting, mainly incandescent and HID, and especially all kinds of sodium lamps (HPS/LPS). I’ll tolerate LED but I’m not a fan of it.
I’m not proud to say that my city has Devolved to LED.

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: What led members to start their lighting collections in the first place? « Reply #6 on: October 17, 2020, 01:38:16 PM » Author: Cole D.
When I was a kid, I was interested in old lighting, as the house next door had 1950s light fixtures that were intriguing to me, since I had only lived in newer houses with modern fixtures. I also got interest in street lights around that time.

That interest waned for a bit and then I got interested again, particularly with HID fixtures going to LED, I wanted some for my collection. And since they are available on eBay for decent prices, I thought why not buy a few. I never considered I'd own a streetlight as a kid, especially since they aren't something that is easy to just go buy. But eBay helps with that.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich

Re: What led members to start their lighting collections in the first place? « Reply #7 on: October 17, 2020, 02:41:13 PM » Author: AngryHorse
Always had an interest in anything electrical, but it was our 5 foot GEC Europa fluorescent batten in our kitchen at home that got me interested in lighting at a very young age, (I’m glad I rescued it before mum and dad sold the house), and moved down south!
Also the change from mercury lamps to SOX in our town back in 1980 had a big part to play in it too!  8)

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

"Beauty fades, dumb is forever".......Judge Judy :D

Michael

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What led members to start their lighting collections in the first place? « Reply #8 on: October 17, 2020, 11:53:50 PM » Author: Michael
Since I remember I have the affinity to lights. My very first bulb was a pigmy E14 bulb which I removed out of a furniture and my first word was lamp.
Later on I remember the long fluorescent street lights in our town having warmwhite tubes in them and the large ones were looking complex inside the clear bowls with their mirrored reflectors.
And the first spots lit by HPS lamps. And of course the startup of SOX lamps which back then were common on pedestrian crossings.
I started collecting street lights at a age of 5 or 6. That was 1988.
Bulbman256

View Posts
View Gallery

Mad Max

Bulbman256
Re: What led members to start their lighting collections in the first place? « Reply #9 on: October 18, 2020, 12:26:53 AM » Author: Bulbman256
I read led as LED. Silly me, might get a slap for that one! :lol: :slap: What started my interest was the curiosity for lighting and can pinpoint i think a guaranteed point where my collection started when it was my 6th birthday. Don't remember much but i still have those bulbs to this day. 8)

Collecting light bulbs since 2012, a madman since birth.

Lightingguy1994
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What led members to start their lighting collections in the first place? « Reply #10 on: October 18, 2020, 12:33:50 AM » Author: Lightingguy1994
I started collecting back in 2012-13 because I learned that T12s were being phased out and I wanted to have some on hand to enjoy in the future. Since then, my collection branched out from just T12s and included other lighting types. Working with and experiencing the different types of lighting was fun and a learning experience. It has been stressful at times when I felt in doubt or new bans or difficulties cropped up.

If I could go back, I would have started much sooner, but I'm glad I started when I did and not later.

Administrator #5

Binarix128

View Posts
View Gallery
220V AC 50Hz, NTSC

GoL UCOUT2noI2R__jgPSJUjGRtA
Re: What led members to start their lighting collections in the first place? « Reply #11 on: October 18, 2020, 12:58:20 AM » Author: Binarix128
I don't really know how I got the lighting bug, I was interested in electronics, and I got the bug of drawing with fluorescent paints, so I needed a black light for it. I got a preheat F18T8 fixture and black light tube, after that I just can't stop collecting interesting light bulbs. I read led as LED btw, I deserve a good slap for it.  :lol: :slap:
xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: What led members to start their lighting collections in the first place? « Reply #12 on: October 18, 2020, 09:06:28 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
I've simply always liked lights. I'd say Christmas lights was my first love, and Fluorescent would be second.

The first 'light thing' I ever bought myself was a single set of 50 Christmas lights, got sometime back in the very early 1980's. (I tried looking for today it to post a pic, but couldn't find it...I deff still have it, just not sure where it is since I have tons of sets of lights.)

The first fluorescent I ever bought was a F15 preheat fixture, got sometime in the early-mid 1980's. That one I uploaded a pic of back in 2010.

----------
Back then I had no idea that I'd one day own hundreds of sets of Christmas lights & dozens of fluorescents.

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies