Author Topic: Does anyone have a dream fixture that they would like to build?  (Read 3695 times)
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Does anyone have a dream fixture that they would like to build? « on: October 21, 2020, 01:28:55 AM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
Personally, my dream fixtures include HPS, MH, MV, and LPS chandeliers and I also would eventually like to make a twin 200w SLI/H striplight. Before I made my mercury vapor and SOX table lamps, those were dream fixtures of mine.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Does anyone have a dream fixture that they would like to build? « Reply #1 on: October 21, 2020, 01:55:32 PM » Author: Ash
Some of mine had been quite similar
Fluorescent05

View Posts
View Gallery

Zack

Re: Does anyone have a dream fixture that they would like to build? « Reply #2 on: October 21, 2020, 03:03:59 PM » Author: Fluorescent05
My parents are talking about replacing a compact chandelier in our upstairs hallway. When they do, I think a 175 watt MH or 400 watt HPS conversion is due when I take it!

I can't pretend a stranger is a long awaited friend. -Neil Peart

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Does anyone have a dream fixture that they would like to build? « Reply #3 on: October 21, 2020, 03:07:39 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
I am thinking of making a metal halide high bay chandelier in the future.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: Does anyone have a dream fixture that they would like to build? « Reply #4 on: October 21, 2020, 03:18:22 PM » Author: Lumex120
I want to make a 3D printed 50w mercury vapor or 35w HPS post top fixture of some kind. I still need to get some HTPLA (a material that can be annealed to resist temperatures that an HID bulb would produce) and I don't know where I would ever end up actually using something like this though.

Unofficial LG Discord

Lightingguy1994
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Does anyone have a dream fixture that they would like to build? « Reply #5 on: October 21, 2020, 03:28:01 PM » Author: Lightingguy1994
Use protected lamps for MH or disaster may strike lol

Fixtures Id like to build include DIY high bays . low bays and louver fixtures, including a round louver fixture for circline lamps.

Administrator #5

Fluorescent05

View Posts
View Gallery

Zack

Re: Does anyone have a dream fixture that they would like to build? « Reply #6 on: October 21, 2020, 04:18:58 PM » Author: Fluorescent05
Use protected lamps for MH or disaster may strike lol

Fixtures Id like to build include DIY high bays . low bays and louver fixtures, including a round louver fixture for circline lamps.
I have seen round louver fixtures for circline lamps, but they are more like hanging parabolic troffers.

I can't pretend a stranger is a long awaited friend. -Neil Peart

Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: Does anyone have a dream fixture that they would like to build? « Reply #7 on: October 21, 2020, 10:30:29 PM » Author: Lumex120
including a round louver fixture for circline lamps.
Didn't you post a picture of something like that a while back? I was actually going to look into making something like that to fit over a circline adapter but I wasn't able to find any at restores/thrift shops so I kind of forgot about it.

Unofficial LG Discord

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Does anyone have a dream fixture that they would like to build? « Reply #8 on: October 21, 2020, 10:58:52 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
Imagine making a louvered insert grille for a 400w MH high bay.

sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Does anyone have a dream fixture that they would like to build? « Reply #9 on: October 21, 2020, 11:01:29 PM » Author: sol
Imagine making a louvered insert grille for a 400w MH high bay.

They do exist. They are usually concentric rings with three or four "spokes". They are not common but not unheard of.
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Does anyone have a dream fixture that they would like to build? « Reply #10 on: October 21, 2020, 11:03:12 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
Such a fixture design was quite popular in the 1950s-1960s but they have become pretty rare.

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: Does anyone have a dream fixture that they would like to build? « Reply #11 on: October 23, 2020, 01:18:49 AM » Author: xmaslightguy
I'd love to convert a 2xF30T12 fixture to SLI/H and ofcourse get lamps for it.

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Does anyone have a dream fixture that they would like to build? « Reply #12 on: October 23, 2020, 01:23:37 AM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
I'd love to convert a 2xF30T12 fixture to SLI/H and ofcourse get lamps for it.

A Thorn 200w SLI/H HO will likely run on a M57 probe start metal halide ballast while a GEC 200w SLI/H lamp can be preheated on a H39 mercury vapor ballast using a Philips Bodytone Starter rated for either 120-180w or 180-225w.

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: Does anyone have a dream fixture that they would like to build? « Reply #13 on: October 25, 2020, 06:50:39 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Interesting on the ballasts WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA.
I was tending to think an electronic fluorescent ballast (if a suitable one exists - I know you have to have a very close match for SOX or SLI/H) since it would fit inside the fixture.

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Does anyone have a dream fixture that they would like to build? « Reply #14 on: October 25, 2020, 07:20:04 PM » Author: joseph_125
I've been considering building a T17 fixture but the lamps are basically unobtainium for a reasonable price. I have a set of lampholders I held on to for almost 10 years with the intention of building something with them.

They do exist. They are usually concentric rings with three or four "spokes". They are not common but not unheard of.

The original lighting in the atrium of the Toronto Eaton Centre had a ton of these. I remember seeing them when I was younger but I never got pictures of them. I'm not sure if they were MV or MH as the recessed lighting in the parts with a lower ceiling back then were 175w MV.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies