Author Topic: Why did SOX lamps dominate the low pressure sodium lamp industry?  (Read 3574 times)
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Why did SOX lamps dominate the low pressure sodium lamp industry? « on: October 23, 2020, 05:18:54 AM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
I wonder why SOX lamps became the most common low pressure sodium lamps rather than other types of low pressure sodium lamps such as the SLI/H, NA-9, or the SO/H?

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Why did SOX lamps dominate the low pressure sodium lamp industry? « Reply #1 on: October 23, 2020, 06:19:51 AM » Author: Medved
I wonder why SOX lamps became the most common low pressure sodium lamps rather than other types of low pressure sodium lamps such as the SLI/H, NA-9, or the SO/H?

It is just their evolution, the latest variants. Except the linear, which was a branch that became dead end (the advantages were overcome within the traditional and simpler U-shape design).
The whole low pressure sodium was practically thing of just one single manufacturer. Many other had tried it, but failed. Either technically (were no able to make it working), or financially (their products were too expensive, so not profitable to make).
And even for the one single manufacturer this product line became not profitable anymore, cheap metalized plastic reflector technology allowed to regain in beam control optical efficiency what the other light sources (like HPS or MH and recently even LEDs) lacked in efficacy as bare lamps, but such accurate optic requires small size light source, so no help for SOX.

No more selfballasted c***

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Why did SOX lamps dominate the low pressure sodium lamp industry? « Reply #2 on: October 23, 2020, 12:22:55 PM » Author: Ash
Back in the day the SOX were made by more than one manufacturer, at least in the UK there were Thorn and GEC (And Philips ?) manufacturing lamps of the same specs. It became one manufacturer item as new installations started moving to HPS

Metalised reflectors have little to do with anything - Most high end HPS/MH luminaires with good optical control have reflectors made of sheet Aluminum. Some low power lanterns suffice with White painted part behind the lamp and only side ( ) reflectors made of sheet Aluminum. With HPS, Even the luminaires with very simplistic optics like AEG Koffers, etc (not any of the fine detail CAD designed reflectors some modern luminaires have), have excellent optical control

We haven't had SOX lighting here in my lifetime (there was some in the 80s and before), so i haven't seen its performance in real life. By my expectation (from the construction of luminaires i see in the gallery), the high light spill of those lanterns could mean significant losses in areas where the illuminated area is well defined, but not that important in areas where the ligthing is supposed to go over a wide area

The very big emitter area and Yellow light mean that they would have no glare and no effect on night vision, which is also great advantage. Besides that it looks good and does not cause eye strain, it can be directly translated into sufficing with lower light levels on the area (so lower input power), less uniformity (so suffice with worse luminaire placement), etc, while still having the area appear well illuminated
lights*plus

View Posts
View Gallery

George Liv Photo

GoL george.liv.37 UC_OfF2pa6aOcXLAut16jw9g
Re: Why did SOX lamps dominate the low pressure sodium lamp industry? « Reply #3 on: October 25, 2020, 07:42:51 PM » Author: lights*plus
Aside the (somewhat detached) comments above, it comes down to just one parameter: efficacy.

Electrical or material/manufacture wise SOX is highest.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2020, 07:55:28 PM by lights*plus » Logged
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Why did SOX lamps dominate the low pressure sodium lamp industry? « Reply #4 on: October 26, 2020, 02:51:59 AM » Author: Medved
Aside the (somewhat detached) comments above, it comes down to just one parameter: efficacy.

Electrical or material/manufacture wise SOX is highest.

But once you are able to utilize only barely half of it for the task you need, then other lamp which may have 60% efficacy compare to LPS by itself but allows the use of 95% optical efficiency reflector does the same job with lower toral power requirement.
So now which system has the efficacy higher?

And for the reflectors: Yes, you may get away with the anodized aluminum or a white sheet and some refractor (e.g. the Koffers,...), but you will never reach the efficiency of the metalized plastic technology.
The difference is not that much how accurate beam you may get, but how much light is lost in the process. The "white paint sheet" is the worst of anything that could just be called a reflector: Even the good TiO2 coatings reflect barely 60% of the light, plus they diffuse it (so makes the geometry less favorable), anodized aluminum sheet reflects about 80..90% when new, common refractors absorb again about 20..30% (each ridge means light losses; less ridges means the lens would have to be thicker, so heavier and way more fragile), so you end up with 60% efficiency with a good design and when the thing is still new and clean.
With the complex and accurate shaping possible with the metalized plastic you suffice with lightweight thin wall shell (being reflector, the thickness does not matter at all), using only limited number of ridges (so minimum losses on those, with minimum spots to collect dirt) and flat clear lens (so no losses there), so you may reach efficiencies way above 90% without anything special.

lights*plus

View Posts
View Gallery

George Liv Photo

GoL george.liv.37 UC_OfF2pa6aOcXLAut16jw9g
Re: Why did SOX lamps dominate the low pressure sodium lamp industry? « Reply #5 on: October 26, 2020, 04:42:35 AM » Author: lights*plus
The original question was why SOX lamps became the most common low-pressure sodium lamp. The standard LPS lamp became the "SOX" lamp in the 1960s by which time it delivered the greatest amount of monochromatic light per consumed watts.

Many here on LG are aware that the light from the SOX/LPS lamp is difficult to control or aim.
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Why did SOX lamps dominate the low pressure sodium lamp industry? « Reply #6 on: October 26, 2020, 05:33:18 AM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
I often see that some of use the terms SOX and LPS interchangeably because of the dominance of SOX lamps in the LPS lamp industry. In reality, SOX is only a specific type of low pressure sodium lamp. In addition, low pressure sodium lamps that are NOT SOX lamps are pretty rare nowadays. The most common non-SOX low pressure sodium lamps I could find are the 200w SLI/H lamps.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2020, 05:35:07 AM by WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA » Logged

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

Bubbler Tube

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Why did SOX lamps dominate the low pressure sodium lamp industry? « Reply #7 on: October 27, 2020, 07:58:39 AM » Author: Bubbler Tube
Because on a Street You NEED As Much Light as You Get With Less Light Fittings and I Have Found That These New One Are Strait Down Light, They Don't Light Sideways Which as a Women They Make Me Feel Unsafe!!!
 :lps: :lps: :lps:

I LOVE Bulbs, Be They The Light up Kind or the Ones That Grow...

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Why did SOX lamps dominate the low pressure sodium lamp industry? « Reply #8 on: October 27, 2020, 08:55:43 AM » Author: Mandolin Girl
Because on a Street You NEED As Much Light as You Get With Less Light Fittings and I Have Found That These New One Are Strait Down Light, They Don't Light Sideways Which as a Women They Make Me Feel Unsafe!!!
 :lps: :lps: :lps:
Exactly.! Ever since the HPS lighting in our street was replaced by L*D, the light level has plummeted and there are massive dark patches between the columns.  :curse:
We no longer feel safe going out at night, and as winter draws in we are virtually prisoners in our flat.   :'(
« Last Edit: October 27, 2020, 08:57:18 AM by Mandolin Girl » Logged

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Why did SOX lamps dominate the low pressure sodium lamp industry? « Reply #9 on: October 27, 2020, 12:45:03 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
That certainly is a shame to phase out LPS lighting.

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Why did SOX lamps dominate the low pressure sodium lamp industry? « Reply #10 on: October 27, 2020, 01:45:48 PM » Author: Medved

It did great job over more than half of century, but it just reached its fundamental limits and could not rival other technologies.
I would like to see some MA lighting, but it is gone even way longer...

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: Why did SOX lamps dominate the low pressure sodium lamp industry? « Reply #11 on: October 27, 2020, 04:51:04 PM » Author: AngryHorse
Funny enough, as we were transitioning from SOX to LED in my town, I noticed some odd, but interesting behaviour when walking Ash, (my German shepherd), at 6 each morning.
Considering dogs are not supposed to see colours like we do, on his main walk route, (the first to be LEDed), he was fine just walking and doing his thing, but when I then turned down the roads lit with the existing SOX, he seemed hesitant?????

It took me a few mornings to notice this as walking under ALL SOX I’d never give it a second thought before?, but it’s as if he got comfortable with the new white light quickly, and when going back under the old lights, he didn’t like it so much?
I got the impression even dogs prefer white street lighting to orange?

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Why did SOX lamps dominate the low pressure sodium lamp industry? « Reply #12 on: October 27, 2020, 05:21:28 PM » Author: Rommie
I got the impression even dogs prefer white street lighting to orange?
Well us catses definitely prefer LPS  :cat: :lps:

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Why did SOX lamps dominate the low pressure sodium lamp industry? « Reply #13 on: October 27, 2020, 05:26:18 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
So, the truth behind SOX lamps becoming the most common low pressure sodium lamp is that they did have the highest efficacy compared to other low pressure sodium lamps such as SLI/H and NA-9?

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: Why did SOX lamps dominate the low pressure sodium lamp industry? « Reply #14 on: October 27, 2020, 05:43:20 PM » Author: AngryHorse
From what I understand, the SLIs tubes were ‘pressed’ out to get the shape, but Thorn had a very high volume of scrap mouldings during the process?
SOX was the last design before the LPS lamp went obsolete?, who knows?, if production would have carried on to the next, more efficient level, the may have changed name to something else?

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies