Author Topic: Dayburners  (Read 12552 times)
buddyboi1979
Re: Dayburners « Reply #15 on: April 21, 2009, 08:18:04 PM » Author: buddyboi1979
There is a Mercury street light by my house that has been burning 24 hours a day for years now.
The thing that got me a little upset is a couple months ago, the utility company replaced the utility pole and put the same light back up on the new pole. And it's still burning all day long !
lightman64

View Posts
View Gallery

Zero 88 Lighting Controls Rule!

Re: Dayburners « Reply #16 on: April 24, 2009, 08:49:10 PM » Author: lightman64
does it buzz loudly?

The future of street lighting is Induction, not nasty HPS lights or cr@ppy LED lights!
Preheat CFL's should make a comeback!

buddyboi1979
Re: Dayburners « Reply #17 on: April 25, 2009, 10:19:12 AM » Author: buddyboi1979
does it buzz loudly?
No I dont think so. But im always in my car when I go past it.
TudorWhiz

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Dayburners « Reply #18 on: April 27, 2009, 08:20:32 AM » Author: TudorWhiz
from what I have seen experience....if a dayburner has a CWI or a CWA ballast, its more likely the ballast will burn out from a dayburner while it wouldn't be as much of a problem with HX types......they could dayburn forever LOL

I know one member who really can tell difference between CWI/CWA or HX ballast by simply looking at the glowing light and not see the ballast!

For pictures of my streetlight collection and other streetlight pictures with some various pictures that are not in this website, please visit http://www.galleryoflights.org/  under GullWhiz

Administrator of Galleryoflights.org

don93s

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Dayburners « Reply #19 on: April 27, 2009, 08:01:32 PM » Author: don93s
It seems the biggest reason a dayburner can fry a ballast is when the sun shines on the fixture, it will get extremely hot and the capacitor in a CWA/CWI is the most vulnerable. If the cap doesn't have protection, and it shorts, the ballast goes too. But some ballast coils aren't as durable either so the insulation could breakdown even without cap failure.
arcblue

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Dayburners « Reply #20 on: April 28, 2009, 12:32:56 AM » Author: arcblue
I'll report streetlight problems close to home, or in areas I travel frequently but not random ones I see here & there. I finally reported a row of dayburners in downtown Seattle that have been dayburning for years...for some reason they aren't getting fixed. Even some of the lanterns themselves have been replaced, and cycling lamps were also replaced, but they all still dayburn! It's in a very well-traveled area too. I don't get it....perhaps they have only been serviced at night. I even asked someone at the streetlighting department if these were dayburning intentionally, and he didn't think so.

I remember one streetlight in my neighborhood that started dayburning when I was a freshman in high school. I didn't know how to report lights back then, but it was STILL dayburning (and not cycling) when I graduated! They replaced the PC, then a few months later the lamp cycled. Then a car hit the pole and the entire thing was replaced. The new PC must have brought bad karma....

I'm lampin...

Dimiz

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Dayburners « Reply #21 on: June 02, 2009, 06:31:27 AM » Author: Dimiz
I see heaps of dayburners and by night I notice alot of non working ones. Funny ones I catch during the day are the ones with melted plastic covers after a small fire has broken out! I often wonder how long it is before they are noticed!

Could never explain why I risk so much to collect them!

arcblue

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Dayburners « Reply #22 on: June 02, 2009, 03:41:47 PM » Author: arcblue
And sometimes, dayburners even make the news .

Even more interesting, what happens in some other areas of the world, where streetlights are still switched manually and individually!
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 03:52:31 PM by arcblue » Logged

I'm lampin...

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Dayburners « Reply #23 on: June 02, 2009, 03:58:09 PM » Author: Medved
And sometimes, dayburners even make the news .

Even more interesting, what happens in some other areas of the world, where streetlights are still switched manually and individually!

This is EXACTLY how most "green" activists themselves behave, when they get power (at this time sitting in the city hall)

No more selfballasted c***

KEDER

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Dayburners « Reply #24 on: June 03, 2009, 04:09:53 PM » Author: KEDER
The only one i've noticed so far is one on kipling, its a m-400 A2 (or A1?) With power door and its a cutoff, and its on all day. every time i go that way, i see it on, and its never fixed. its been that way for a while. something must be wrong with the photo control.
lightman64

View Posts
View Gallery

Zero 88 Lighting Controls Rule!

Re: Dayburners « Reply #25 on: June 04, 2009, 10:33:08 AM » Author: lightman64
You should report it. That way, it doesn't waste energy and saves the lamp and the ballast.

The future of street lighting is Induction, not nasty HPS lights or cr@ppy LED lights!
Preheat CFL's should make a comeback!

KEDER

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Dayburners « Reply #26 on: June 04, 2009, 01:31:41 PM » Author: KEDER
How do i contact C-Dot? ANd speaking of broken lights, theres 2 lights on 285, (one that should shine ON 25, and one on the exit) Its missing the bulb, reflector, and maybe the bulb socket? Both of them i think were m400-r3's, And all they have are the top housing and a ballast, and wires dangling down. ill try to report it to CDOT! (and also the dayburner)
KEDER

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Dayburners « Reply #27 on: June 04, 2009, 08:35:18 PM » Author: KEDER
I dont like double posting, but i got a picture of the dayburner i told you about today. heres the link:

http://www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/displayimage.php?album=1230&pos=0

and its a confirmed m-400 A2.
icefoglights

View Posts
View Gallery

ITT Low Pressure Sodium NEMA

GoL
Re: Dayburners « Reply #28 on: June 05, 2009, 08:32:53 PM » Author: icefoglights
Manually switched street lights?  :o

Here in DeRidder street lights all have their own photocells.  I've seen many dayburners that have recently had new PCs installed (one of them is an original M400!) and a few that have gone dayburning.

Back home, most street lights are on group controls and dayburners are rare.

01010010 01101111 01100010 01100101 01110010 01110100

KEDER

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Dayburners « Reply #29 on: October 29, 2009, 08:36:06 PM » Author: KEDER
Hmm you know my post above in June telling about a dayburning streetlight? even in October, IT STILL IS DAYBURNING.

GOSH! do they EVER fix lights? and a hanging down OVX got replaced with an m250r2, very close to this dayburner like a few months ago, and they did NOT Fix the m400 a2 dayburner! i am really going to report this to xcel energy. if the report feature works.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies