Author Topic: Is there a way to install an American ceiling fan in a 240v country?  (Read 5795 times)
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Is there a way to install an American ceiling fan in a 240v country? « on: November 02, 2020, 02:01:34 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
I wonder if I can install an American ceiling fan in a 240v country such as the UK by installing a step down transformer in the attic?

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Is there a way to install an American ceiling fan in a 240v country? « Reply #1 on: November 02, 2020, 03:20:33 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
This may sound strange, but they do sell ceiling fans over here. :wndr:
You have also got to factor in the difference in frequency, motors don't like it when the wrong frequency is generated.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2020, 03:23:09 PM by Mandolin Girl » Logged

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Is there a way to install an American ceiling fan in a 240v country? « Reply #2 on: November 02, 2020, 06:40:45 PM » Author: Ash
Transformer will work. The frequency difference can always be accounted for by changing the voltage. (So instead of 120V provide 100V 50Hz)

For a single speed, even just a choke ballast will work. (But the phase shift capacitor must be changed accordingly)
funkybulb

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Is there a way to install an American ceiling fan in a 240v country? « Reply #3 on: November 02, 2020, 07:21:55 PM » Author: funkybulb
 This not a Celing fan site as this for lighting
 Can poat this in off topic please.

BTW 50 Hz would  turn a 60Hz fan a  lot slower. 

No LED gadgets, spins too slowly.  Gotta  love preheat and MV. let the lights keep my meter spinning.

Binarix128

View Posts
View Gallery
220V AC 50Hz, NTSC

GoL UCOUT2noI2R__jgPSJUjGRtA
Re: Is there a way to install an American ceiling fan in a 240v country? « Reply #4 on: November 02, 2020, 08:44:57 PM » Author: Binarix128
Running two fans in series or with a similar power incandescent lamp.
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Is there a way to install an American ceiling fan in a 240v country? « Reply #5 on: November 03, 2020, 02:26:23 AM » Author: Medved
This not a Celing fan site as this for lighting
 Can poat this in off topic please.

BTW 50 Hz would  turn a 60Hz fan a  lot slower. 

The fans usually have high slip, so the frequency does not have to be that strictly equal. So operating a 120V 60Hz fan on 50Hz and maybe 105V wont be any problem.
Ive seen many (shielded pole) induction motors rated for both 230V 50Hz and 120V 60Hz having just two windings to be connected in series for 230V and parallel for the 120V.
The capacitor shift ones needs different capacitor value (20% higher on 50Hz) though. But may as well start even with the lower one, it only taking longer to spin up.

No more selfballasted c***

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Is there a way to install an American ceiling fan in a 240v country? « Reply #6 on: November 12, 2020, 01:42:11 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
I'll say this again, why would you go to all the hassle of converting the fan to run correctly when fans with the right specifications can be bought.??  ???

Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Is there a way to install an American ceiling fan in a 240v country? « Reply #7 on: November 12, 2020, 05:00:12 PM » Author: Ash
Same reason as why run a lantern from the USA ? He wants that specific fan, not another one....
Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Is there a way to install an American ceiling fan in a 240v country? « Reply #8 on: November 12, 2020, 05:19:25 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
Well considering he's in the US, it's a silly question.

Published Author ;D
James Thurber

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Is there a way to install an American ceiling fan in a 240v country? « Reply #9 on: November 12, 2020, 05:36:08 PM » Author: Ash
Its a what-if-would sorta question, but it makes sense
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Re: Is there a way to install an American ceiling fan in a 240v country? « Reply #10 on: November 12, 2020, 07:46:18 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
I was thinking about the idea of helping British and other European enthusiasts who prefer US style ceiling fans to look for ways to run them safely in their countries. For example, there is no such thing as a Hunter Original Ceiling fan deaigned for 240v as far as I know.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2020, 07:57:58 PM by WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA » Logged

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

funkybulb

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Is there a way to install an American ceiling fan in a 240v country? « Reply #11 on: November 14, 2020, 09:58:17 AM » Author: funkybulb
 120 volt 60 Hz fans  on 110 volt 50Hz the fan will run
  Thing is it will turn little slower.  It the Hz what control the
Speed on the induction motor. 

No LED gadgets, spins too slowly.  Gotta  love preheat and MV. let the lights keep my meter spinning.

Binarix128

View Posts
View Gallery
220V AC 50Hz, NTSC

GoL UCOUT2noI2R__jgPSJUjGRtA
Re: Is there a way to install an American ceiling fan in a 240v country? « Reply #12 on: November 14, 2020, 10:12:57 AM » Author: Binarix128
I heard that running inductive loads at low frequency increases the heat and so the life decreases, but for 10Hz less there shouldn't be any major problem.
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Is there a way to install an American ceiling fan in a 240v country? « Reply #13 on: November 14, 2020, 01:21:34 PM » Author: Medved
The 10Hz may seem small, but it is 20%, so quite a lot.

For the fan:
The induction motors are primarily frequency controlled, but they exhibit what is called a slip - the difference between the real rotor rpm and the feed frequency. Now the slip depends on the ratio of (motor load) / (magnetic field strengt)^2.

With standard use, the motors are designed with very low slip (in the order of 2..4Hz), in order to limit the rotor cage losses.
But fans re usually designed as rather high slip (20..30Hz being the most common range with variable speed fans) and it is in fact the varying slip, what is used as a means to control the speed by the user (by varying the turns the winding has connected across tze mains).
So when you have 30 Hz slip at 60Hz, the 50Hz feed will cause 20% stronger magnetic field.
Which will reduce the slip by about 40%, so from 30Hz to about 20Hz.
So the rotor rpm at theend remains about the same...

No more selfballasted c***

Lightingguy1994
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Is there a way to install an American ceiling fan in a 240v country? « Reply #14 on: November 14, 2020, 01:24:24 PM » Author: Lightingguy1994
If you cant find a fan design for a certain voltage area. The only options really is either make due with what there is, or perform a motor swap (or a blade swap) between the 120v and 240v fans. Most have blades that will fit onto most fan hubs.

Administrator #5

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies