Author Topic: Wal-mart powersaving  (Read 5780 times)
KEDER

View Posts
View Gallery

Wal-mart powersaving « on: June 06, 2009, 11:41:45 PM » Author: KEDER
At a Wal-Mart (on Bowles and 470) They have tons of skylights. and when it gets bright enough, they have some weird photocontrol, and when it gets bright enough in the store all the lights (except the border lights) turn off. but if it is darker, but still bright, the lights are just dimmed. They dim at different rates. but i think most of them are fixed. But they do this to conserve power and lower the electric bill. Never seen the photocontrol, but i wonder where it is...
icefoglights

View Posts
View Gallery

ITT Low Pressure Sodium NEMA

GoL
Re: Wal-mart powersaving « Reply #1 on: June 07, 2009, 12:41:52 AM » Author: icefoglights
I've noticed a lot of large stores using skylights for natural light lately.  Walmart is the most extreme example though.  The one in Leesville, La has all its indoor lights dimmed or turned off during the day.

01010010 01101111 01100010 01100101 01110010 01110100

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Wal-mart powersaving « Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009, 02:41:58 AM » Author: Medved
There are "tons" of photocells pointing downwards as well and they are connected in a regulation loop maintaining "constant" illumination level in the area below - if it's darker, it increase the fluorescent power and vice versa. In some systems motorized shade-flaps on these skylight units are attached to the system as well, to avoid uncomfortable overillumination by e.g. noon sun and/or limit the passage of asociated heat - usually when skylights are used in really high quantity. I do like these systems, as nothing might beat the natural sun light quality, but in my area (~50deg North) these are powerfull enough only in summer.

No more selfballasted c***

swpidgeon

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Wal-mart powersaving « Reply #3 on: June 07, 2009, 08:39:04 PM » Author: swpidgeon
This is referred to as "daylight harvesting" and we are doing it more and more lately.  As dimming ballasts and simple photocontrols come down in cost, you will see lots more of it.  Small photocells are available that physically clip to the lamps and point downward to measure the light.  The simple one we sometimes use can control up to 10 dimming ballasts on the 0-10v control wires.  Other more complex systems can control entire zones.  It's pretty cool, and if done properly, is not noticible to those who inhabit the space.
Mr. Big
Re: Wal-mart powersaving « Reply #4 on: August 05, 2009, 09:03:46 PM » Author: Mr. Big
and if done properly, is not noticible to those who inhabit the space.
Except for us weirdos that spend a lot of time looking UP instead of around!
Mr. Big
Re: Wal-mart powersaving « Reply #5 on: August 07, 2009, 01:20:26 AM » Author: Mr. Big
and if done properly, is not noticible to those who inhabit the space.
Except for us weirdos that spend a lot of time looking UP instead of around!

I agree!  :P
Foxtronix

View Posts
View Gallery

Formerly "TiCoune66". Also known here as Vince.

GoL UCs4tSgJSCoCIMGThBuaePhA
Re: Wal-mart powersaving « Reply #6 on: August 14, 2009, 07:33:19 PM » Author: Foxtronix
At my local Wal-Mart (a pretty small one), there's no skylight at all, but some lights are still shut off to save energy. The difference isn't really that big...

KEDER

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Wal-mart powersaving « Reply #7 on: August 15, 2009, 02:00:53 PM » Author: KEDER
Lol, there are still walmarts here in colorado that are small. like the one on wadsworth by costco. they remodeled it, but still, no skylights. cieling tiles. and its small. the one imtalking about that has the powersaving is the new supercenter onbowles and 470. it is new. there used to be nothing where the walmart is. just grtass.and now theres a huge walmart. and they are remodling it for somne reason.
joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Wal-mart powersaving « Reply #8 on: September 07, 2009, 07:15:44 PM » Author: joseph_125
At my local Walmart they have shut off some of the lights during the summer too. I think they shut off 1 2 lamp fixture for every 4 that are turned on. I'll have to check if they have skylights on the ceiling.
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Wal-mart powersaving « Reply #9 on: September 08, 2009, 01:52:16 PM » Author: Medved
This shutting down happen, when lamps would be otherwise set to too low setting, so operate inefficiently.

At my local Walmart they have shut off some of the lights during the summer too. I think they shut off 1 2 lamp fixture for every 4 that are turned on. I'll have to check if they have skylights on the ceiling.

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: Wal-mart powersaving « Reply #10 on: April 13, 2010, 11:23:28 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
With Walmarts that have these systems, Whats cool is to be there when it gets dark enough for the lights
to turn on (I've seen this multiple times)... <partly cloudy days where the sun goes in&out of clouds
are great for this!>

In the store I usually go to (which weirdly enough is the one mentioned in the 1st post of this thread)
the lights will turn on at full brightness for just an instant (basically just a flash) then be
dim...maybe they need to be full brightness to start? The whole store doesn't turn on as a unit, but
rather in sequence one bank/strip of lights at a time (the end result being they'll all be on dim)

Its very noticeable when the lights are coming on with the flashing...but when they turn off you don't
notice.

When they first built the store it had all cool-white (4100k), then one day they changed everything
out to 5000k color

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Wal-mart powersaving « Reply #11 on: April 14, 2010, 01:47:26 AM » Author: Medved
The full-brightness flash after power ON is caused by the fact, how resonance ballasts control lamp mode:
It start at high frequency, so there is in the resonance circuity not enough voltage to ignite the lamp, but enough current to warm it's electrodes up.
Then it sweep the frequency down towards the resonance to buildup high voltage for ignition.
But when the lamp ignite, the ballast start to regulate the current to the required level. But ignition frequency correspond to quite high power setting (usually about 30..60%), so on the low power setting (5..10%) the ballast has to increase the frequency again. But it should do so without any overshoot, as the lamp might extinguish, so there is usually quite long time constant in changing the frequency, so to sweep it up to reduce the power to required level take time. And during this time the brightness is bigger then the settled state, hence the perceived "flash".

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Wal-mart powersaving « Reply #12 on: April 14, 2010, 03:09:23 AM » Author: dor123
Regarding to the dimming of the lights by the Photo Controls: Many PC based LED nightlights also have such behavior when the light is not bright enough. This behavior of a PC is not suitable for mains voltage lamps like fluorescents and HID lamps.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: Wal-mart powersaving « Reply #13 on: June 27, 2010, 04:59:14 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
I was in Walmart friday afternoon and it was one of those days with patches of clouds moving over (the perfect setup :) ) ... got to see multiple on/off cycles of the lights LOL .. I
<wonder how much 'lamp life' is wasted on those days>

I also noticed there's some cool whites mixed in randomly with the 5000k LOL guess whoever replaces the bulbs got the wrong color

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Wal-mart powersaving « Reply #14 on: June 28, 2010, 04:38:02 PM » Author: Medved
<wonder how much 'lamp life' is wasted on those days>

I would guess not much, as dimming ballasts (nearly without exception - as it mean no extra cost) preheat lamps correctly, so there would never happen any stress from the discharge on too cold electrode.
On some designs (those simpler intended only for such daylight harvesting management - simply working frequency is direct function of illumination level, without any extra feedback) this mean even intrinsic behavior: for lower then minimum setting they only heat electrodes without discharge. So when the control signal changes slowly (what is always the case for moving clouds), it always go across "heat only" section of the operating curve.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies