Author Topic: What becomes of your collection when YOU reach EOL ??  (Read 6482 times)
AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich

Re: What becomes of your collection when YOU reach EOL ?? « Reply #45 on: June 12, 2021, 07:43:54 AM » Author: AngryHorse
No, I don't think immortality would be very good. It seems great until you realise what it actually entails. Losing friends and loved ones is just the start. Think about it. A longer life, certainly, but not forever.
Totally agree with you on this!, imagine, ‘The Picture of Dorion Gray’ for real!!, the planet’s getting steadily worse as it is!, imagine what you’re life now would be like in the next 200 years!
Not thought about my collection, not that it’s that rare or special, but it will probably just be found one day if one of my daughters ever cleans the loft out in the next 50 years?, of if they ever sell the house long after me and Jo’s departure from this earth!  :wndr:

The Picture of Dorian Grey was an epic film adaptation of Oscar Wildes classic novel, lead actor Hurd Hatfield was proper creepy in it!   :D

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

"Beauty fades, dumb is forever".......Judge Judy :D

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: What becomes of your collection when YOU reach EOL ?? « Reply #46 on: June 12, 2021, 07:47:55 AM » Author: Rommie
Yeah, I'm almost glad I'm getting old. I don't want to become old and decrepit, but neither do I want to live for much longer, with the way the world is going. I really feel for the youngsters now  :(

God, I'm turning into a female Victor Meldrew, shoot me now, somebody  :poof:  :mrg:

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

rjluna2

View Posts
View Gallery

Robert

GoL
Re: What becomes of your collection when YOU reach EOL ?? « Reply #47 on: June 12, 2021, 03:16:39 PM » Author: rjluna2
I would have to discuss this with my family if I goes EOL with my light bulb collection :o

Pretty, please no more Chinese failure.

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What becomes of your collection when YOU reach EOL ?? « Reply #48 on: June 13, 2021, 12:06:25 AM » Author: wide-lite 1000
My problem is that My family has already told me to give away my "crap" BEFORE I die as it's all going to the dumpster after!

Their exact words were "we're NOT dealing with it !"

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

takemorepills

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What becomes of your collection when YOU reach EOL ?? « Reply #49 on: June 13, 2021, 02:27:01 AM » Author: takemorepills
I've directed my wife and son to find new homes for some of my stuff.

I've inventoried some items with basic descriptions and for some things I left a note inside of them. Some of my stuff may go to trash as I didn't inventory everything.

I don't have a lot, and I try to not collect much, I just ask that they put them up for sale online somehow, money doesn't matter, let someone else have a chance to collect the stuff.
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: What becomes of your collection when YOU reach EOL ?? « Reply #50 on: June 13, 2021, 08:17:02 AM » Author: Rommie
My problem is that My family has already told me to give away my "crap" BEFORE I die as it's all going to the dumpster after!

Awwwww  :'(

There's an easy answer though, leave it to us  :mrg:

Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What becomes of your collection when YOU reach EOL ?? « Reply #51 on: June 14, 2021, 12:21:33 AM » Author: wide-lite 1000
Problem is that it all has to be shipped out and gone before I kick the proverbial bucket or it's trash !

Bulbman256

View Posts
View Gallery

Mad Max

Bulbman256
Re: What becomes of your collection when YOU reach EOL ?? « Reply #52 on: June 14, 2021, 12:35:52 AM » Author: Bulbman256
Problem is that it all has to be shipped out and gone before I kick the proverbial bucket or it's trash !

That sucks, Maybe you can figure something out to let your family let us come to your place and rescue any piece of lighting history, i'm sure we could all take care of it over a long weekend. :)

Collecting light bulbs since 2012, a madman since birth.

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What becomes of your collection when YOU reach EOL ?? « Reply #53 on: June 14, 2021, 12:48:36 AM » Author: wide-lite 1000
As long as I outlive them I'm Good !!  :mrg: :DeAtH:

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What becomes of your collection when YOU reach EOL ?? « Reply #54 on: June 16, 2021, 10:39:28 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
My problem is that my family has already said that virtually everything I have is going to the dump when I die !!

Olav
Re: What becomes of your collection when YOU reach EOL ?? « Reply #55 on: June 17, 2021, 12:42:11 AM » Author: Olav

Hello Tim,

these are clear words from your family.
It's not friendly, but you have a clear message.

My personal opinion is, that my collection will later go to a younger collector.

It would be the worst option to give a collection to a collector, who is my age or older.

The target should be that the collection survives as long as possible.

Greetings from Hamburg

Olav
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: What becomes of your collection when YOU reach EOL ?? « Reply #56 on: June 17, 2021, 07:14:19 AM » Author: Rommie
The target should be that the collection survives as long as possible.
Indeed, which is why the very rare lamps such as our 120-year old lamp Barnaby will hopefully go to a museum, maybe the National Museum of Scotland in Edinburgh, or even the Science Museum in London if they're interested, we'll see. The less rare items will go to other collectors, we do have one or two people in mind (so be nice to us if you think it might be you) :mrg:

kai

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What becomes of your collection when YOU reach EOL ?? « Reply #57 on: July 09, 2021, 04:16:36 PM » Author: kai
This discussion covers a really serious problem that concerns collections of all kinds. One can only guess how much documentation of history disappears day after day, in exactly the way described so lively here.

When no ignorant behaviour is to be expected the suggestion is to simply put to the collection a shed with instructions what to do with it. Which of course first requires to determine such a new home.

Otherwise it should be considered to include these instructions in the will. Making a will may under such circumstances be a good idea anyway – I would not want all my money to go to such an ignorant family. (And by the way: Be prepared for surprises yourself. Says someone who would not have expected to get nothing at all, to be simply out of the relatives community.)
rjluna2

View Posts
View Gallery

Robert

GoL
Re: What becomes of your collection when YOU reach EOL ?? « Reply #58 on: July 15, 2021, 10:03:20 AM » Author: rjluna2
I have discussed with my family and we agree to have them contact our fellow collector to pick up my collection when I go EOL.

Please PM me if you are interested to pick up my collection when I go EOL.  They are mostly incandescent light bulbs, few fluorescent light bulbs, some HID bulbs as well.  Thanks :)

Pretty, please no more Chinese failure.

HIDLad001

View Posts
View Gallery

Alex - a fan of Jefferson Electric ballasts

GoL UCwvPaxz1-rbLAjLpk55zl1A
Re: What becomes of your collection when YOU reach EOL ?? « Reply #59 on: August 26, 2022, 07:17:00 PM » Author: HIDLad001
I would probably tell some relatives to give my collection to you guys once I reach EOL.

HID Fixtures should stay HID!
Any new photos are taken with a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35!
Local power is 120/240VAC 60Hz, TV is NTSC 480i 59.94, DTV is ATSC 1.0 and simulcast ATSC 3.0.
Using Lighting-Gallery since 2022

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies