Author Topic: What type of range/stove to get?  (Read 3915 times)
Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: What type of range/stove to get? « Reply #15 on: December 30, 2021, 02:59:22 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
Personally I'd go with electric since that's all I've ever used. Plus I think the smooth-top stoves are much better looking

Note that some places are starting to ban new installations of natural gas appliances. .. .Just a matter of time til that spreads, and eventually grows to include replacement of existing gas appliances.
(actually some cties are also starting to ban natural-gas and heating-oil powered heat in new construction, and replacement systems).
Just something to be aware of! This stuff is coming! They want to start cutting down gas usage... :roll:
 For me, doing the furnace/water heater wouldn't really be an option .eek. without upgrading power coming into the house.

Two things:
1) The smooth top stoves are much nicer to look at, but they're tricky to keep clean. :curse:

2) I don't know what it's like where you live, but banning natural gas is just dumb. A great percentage of our electricity is generated by burning natural gas. Go figure.!  :poof:

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: What type of range/stove to get? « Reply #16 on: December 30, 2021, 09:28:20 PM » Author: joseph_125
Personally I prefer gas but since my kitchen doesn't have a natural gas line (house has natural gas service but for heating and hot water only) I have a electric. Personally for electric I prefer the old style ones with the exposed elements. Easier to fix if something goes wrong and replacement elements are cheaper than the in glass ones.

That being said, with gas you need a range hood that vents outside instead the ones the recirculate the air. You may also need to cut in vents for makeup air depending on your jurisdiction.

Banning natural gas is new to me, pretty much every new house here has natural gas service, usually only for heating and hot water but you can get additional gas lines plumbed in for a dryer, stove, and barbecque. Seems kind of pointless unless they have a better/cheaper method of electricity generation. Also most older homes here can't easily convert to all electric heating and appliances unless a service upgrade is performed. 
xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: What type of range/stove to get? « Reply #17 on: December 30, 2021, 11:02:33 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Quote from: Mandolin Girl
  I don't know what it's like where you live, but banning natural gas is just dumb.
I agree its dumb (just like banning various lights).
And same here with generating electricity from natural gas.

Quote from: joseph_125
Banning natural gas is new to me, pretty much every new house here has natural gas service
The banning gas is something I recently saw in the local newspaper. Hadn't heard about it before that.
Basically any new house here has natural gas service too - if its in/near a reasonable size city. (Outside city areas its mostly propane for heating. Electric heat is uncommon due to the high cost of running it)

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

HPS_250

View Posts
View Gallery

Long live the HPS and SOX!

UCAjfrNb4v77ybEBBYqxZxiw
Re: What type of range/stove to get? « Reply #18 on: December 31, 2021, 12:46:20 AM » Author: HPS_250
I agree with what everyone has said, banning the household use of natural gas doesn’t seem to have much of a purpose. If people really want to help improve climate change, they should focus on transportation and electricity generation (the largest sources of greenhouse gas emission) before household gas use.
As I said one of my concerns with gas is ventilation, since the gas burners really aggravate allergies (which almost everyone in my family has) by releasing NOx, particulates, etc. indoors.
We have a gas water heater and furnace that will remain, I’m not really sure if the dryer is gas or electric though since it’s so old and I don’t know the model.
We make sure to turn on the vent or open a window when cooking with gas, but it’s kind of annoying to always deal with ventilation so that’s a pro of going electric. The smooth top stoves seem prone to scratching but I’ll try to be careful when cleaning it.

So we made the decision to go with a smooth top electric range because of ventilation problems for gas and my parents not wanting to get new cookware for induction cooktops.
I’ll update here when we have a specific one picked out and the old gas range is replaced!

I’ve always been interested in all kinds of lighting, mainly incandescent and HID, and especially all kinds of sodium lamps (HPS/LPS). I’ll tolerate LED but I’m not a fan of it.
I’m not proud to say that my city has Devolved to LED.

HPS_250

View Posts
View Gallery

UCAjfrNb4v77ybEBBYqxZxiw
Re: What type of range/stove to get? « Reply #19 on: December 31, 2021, 12:50:39 AM » Author: HPS_250
I think this is what my dad picked, so this is probably what we’ll install soon once the old stove is out:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Samsung-Electric-Range-NE63T8511SS/1002866992

I’ve always been interested in all kinds of lighting, mainly incandescent and HID, and especially all kinds of sodium lamps (HPS/LPS). I’ll tolerate LED but I’m not a fan of it.

Bulbman256

View Posts
View Gallery

Mad Max

Bulbman256
Re: What type of range/stove to get? « Reply #20 on: December 31, 2021, 12:59:36 AM » Author: Bulbman256
I'm glad you have a range of options here, i like gas cooking myself but a good electric stove also works, just get a high quality one. The old house i lived in had a heating element that went quite violently, i still have the old stove outlet that got ruined from that somewhere.

Collecting light bulbs since 2012, a madman since birth.

HPS_250

View Posts
View Gallery

UCAjfrNb4v77ybEBBYqxZxiw
Re: What type of range/stove to get? « Reply #21 on: December 31, 2021, 01:17:58 AM » Author: HPS_250
Yep, I have a range of options for a range that will replace my failing gas range, ranging from $800 to $2000 that use a range of fuel sources and that will be purchased in the time range from next week to mid-January.  :lol: :lol:

Back on topic, I’ve seen an electric oven element go up in flames and set some food on fire before. It didn’t damage the outlet though.

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: What type of range/stove to get? « Reply #22 on: December 31, 2021, 02:53:54 AM » Author: joseph_125
Yeah you're lucky to have both a 240v outlet and a gas line running to the kitchen which lets you have multiple options. I think some higher end stoves have 3kW elements which should boil water faster than your standard 2.2kW elements. Most stoves have the elements fed from a 20A fuse so you do get quite a bit of power going to them.

With electric stoves, I usually find the receptacles and element plugs tend to fail from arcing over time which usually results in the receptacle falling apart and the element plug being pitted. Fortunately, it's fairly easy to change both parts. I had to replace the switch once too but that was fairly easy.
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What type of range/stove to get? « Reply #23 on: December 31, 2021, 05:35:21 AM » Author: Medved
Yep, the vitroceramic is the way to go with any electric stove. For cleaning you have to use the special cleaning blade (a razor blade in a convenient handle, with a safety cover) for the rough caked on mess and then some dish detergent, but never ever anything with any abrasive component in it.

And for the gas phasing out: Although there is a lot of "green" rethoric around, the true motivation for Europe is, where 90% of the gas come from and how are the relationship evolving. Putin is already refusing to deliver anything above the long term contracts to push his agenda (it was common to deliver more if the demand was there, just the prices of that extra were way more fluctuating), just showing off how he could cut all the gas out if he wishes so... So reducing such dependency is something what is already decades overdue.
So if nothing else, the gas will become very expensive power medium...
So from that perspective I do not see as any bad move to preserve the natural gas for the peak power generation to stabilize the grid (there are not much other technologies with so fast response available, beside the rather limited hydropower reservoirs) and move the bulk of the energy sources elsewhere.
Plus tye gas stoves are not that much efficient: It takes similar amount of gas to cook something on a gas stove as to generate the electricity for some more efficient electric stove (IR or induction) to do the same cooking.

No more selfballasted c***

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: What type of range/stove to get? « Reply #24 on: December 31, 2021, 05:52:24 AM » Author: Rommie
There are no doubt many reasons for the possible phasing out of gas but that isn't what this thread is about. The OP is asking for opinions about which type of stove to get.

Back on topic please, and let's steer clear of politics.

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

HPS_250

View Posts
View Gallery

UCAjfrNb4v77ybEBBYqxZxiw
Re: What type of range/stove to get? « Reply #25 on: July 20, 2022, 07:56:59 PM » Author: HPS_250
I didn’t think of induction, that might be a great option! Most of the cookware we have is already made of ferrous metal (plus we also have plenty of cast iron) so all that would have to be replaced are a couple of stainless steel pots.

This is what will be replaced, it’s a great stove but unfortunately so many parts (including the main oven control board) have failed that we can’t repair it anymore.
It’s a Kenmore from 2001.

Update: Installed a GE induction stove back in May and have had zero issues aside from having to replace a couple pots. It’s comparable or better than gas and I don’t see a reason I’d switch back from electric.

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: What type of range/stove to get? « Reply #26 on: July 24, 2022, 12:53:57 PM » Author: Cole D.
One type of range that I don't see much anymore for household use is the solid cast iron electric burners, that look like a plate turned upside down.

I believe almost all electric commercial ranges use these burners, and I have seen a few portable electric stoves for household use with these, but I never see them sold on household ranges or built in cooktops in a long time.

They seemed to be very common in the UK, Spain, Italy, Germany and most European and Latin countries.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: What type of range/stove to get? « Reply #27 on: July 24, 2022, 12:58:23 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
All of the commercial kitchens I've been in use gas, as the chefs need the instant control of the burners that gas affords.

Our old domestic cooker had solid heating plates, I'm not sure whether they were cast iron or not.  :wndr:

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: What type of range/stove to get? « Reply #28 on: July 24, 2022, 05:12:34 PM » Author: Cole D.
Yes, most restaurants use gas ranges but I have seen some smaller restaurants and schools using electric ranges, and they were the solid element type. Probably my guess is easier to clean than coil type burners and more durable than glass top ranges.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

Burrito

View Posts
View Gallery

No.

Re: What type of range/stove to get? « Reply #29 on: July 24, 2022, 10:39:15 PM » Author: Burrito
You should get a vintage range because those are built noicer

ON LG FOR 2 YEARS! Please don't ask to meet up with me, as I am still living with my mother. Don't send me items either please, thank you!
LED street lights are bad. Some look good though. HID is better.
Please, watch out for the future. It's not looking good. Loves instruction manuals of any kind!

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies