Author Topic: Once ubiquitous lamps, ballasts, and fixtures that are unobtainium nowadays  (Read 2499 times)
bulb_tester2009

View Posts
View Gallery

Resolutely crack down on inferior LED lighting!!

GoL
Re: Once ubiquitous lamps, ballasts, and fixtures that are unobtainium nowadays « Reply #15 on: May 14, 2022, 03:38:08 AM » Author: bulb_tester2009
Like Philips' SL series magnet ballasting CFL, for example, was very popular in the 1990s and early 2000s, and was even produced in China for a while. But by the mid-2000s, it was fading, and inventory was almost sold out in the early 2010s. As a result, even the Philips SL made in China now needs to be imported at a very high price.

I've been collecting light bulbs since I was 2 years old and I've been collecting them ever since.
 :hps::hps::hps:
由于我来自中国,所以英语不精通,大部分内容都是翻译的,所以可能不通顺,请大家谅解
Note:
Bulb base in China:E12(CES) E14(SES) B22d(BC) E27(ES) E40(GES)

xelareverse

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Once ubiquitous lamps, ballasts, and fixtures that are unobtainium nowadays « Reply #16 on: May 16, 2022, 12:20:22 AM » Author: xelareverse
In Romania thrift stores with lighting stuff aren't particularly uncommon and same for T12 at said stores.
 I've noticed the A shape 100 W Mercury vapor lamps that you used to be able to walk into home depot and buy are almost impossible to find anywhere now.
108CAM

View Posts
View Gallery

Diehard MV, HPS, SOX & Preheat Fluorescent Fanatic

UCG6Xojn8dNgDuN9J7_Gnj8w
Re: Once ubiquitous lamps, ballasts, and fixtures that are unobtainium nowadays « Reply #17 on: May 16, 2022, 08:08:30 AM » Author: 108CAM
SOX
I still have yet to find a SOX lamp or fixture

Fluro starter pings combined with a 50hz ballast hum and blinking tubes is music to my ears.

Rest in Peace Electronic Lamp Manufacturers of Australia
1925-2002

Bring back the AJF Zodiacs!

Total incidents since joining LG: 17
Lamps accidently broken or smashed: 14
Ballast explosions/burnouts: 3

AgentHalogen_87

View Posts
View Gallery

Long Live SOX!

Re: Once ubiquitous lamps, ballasts, and fixtures that are unobtainium nowadays « Reply #18 on: May 16, 2022, 09:50:30 AM » Author: AgentHalogen_87
There's still some dotted about the place :)
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Once ubiquitous lamps, ballasts, and fixtures that are unobtainium nowadays « Reply #19 on: May 16, 2022, 10:05:01 AM » Author: Rommie
They aren't getting any cheaper though  :-\

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

108CAM

View Posts
View Gallery

UCG6Xojn8dNgDuN9J7_Gnj8w
Re: Once ubiquitous lamps, ballasts, and fixtures that are unobtainium nowadays « Reply #20 on: May 25, 2022, 01:50:04 AM » Author: 108CAM
Based on what I've seen online about HID bans, I'd say that in a few years time, MV & HPS will be where SOX/LPS is now with MH falling victim shortly after.
Fluorescent tubes may also meet the same fate which is why I've started stockpiling every tube I can get.

Fluro starter pings combined with a 50hz ballast hum and blinking tubes is music to my ears.

1925-2002

bulb_tester2009

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Once ubiquitous lamps, ballasts, and fixtures that are unobtainium nowadays « Reply #21 on: May 25, 2022, 09:54:05 PM » Author: bulb_tester2009
Based on what I've seen online about HID bans, I'd say that in a few years time, MV & HPS will be where SOX/LPS is now with MH falling victim shortly after.
Fluorescent tubes may also meet the same fate which is why I've started stockpiling every tube I can get.

With the same feeling, I just hope that the traditional lighting source can last for a few more years, even if it is a few days.

I've been collecting light bulbs since I was 2 years old and I've been collecting them ever since.
Note:

Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: Once ubiquitous lamps, ballasts, and fixtures that are unobtainium nowadays « Reply #22 on: May 25, 2022, 11:49:42 PM » Author: Lumex120
Mercury vapor maybe, but there's still a lot of HPS lighting in use now and there will probably still be a decent amount in a few years. That, and the fact that MV and HPS lamps are far less expensive to buy new than SOX lamps ever were so coming across old stockpiles that were tucked away should be a thing for a long time.

Unofficial LG Discord

108CAM

View Posts
View Gallery

UCG6Xojn8dNgDuN9J7_Gnj8w
Re: Once ubiquitous lamps, ballasts, and fixtures that are unobtainium nowadays « Reply #23 on: June 19, 2022, 11:09:46 PM » Author: 108CAM
8 foot bayonet cap fluorescent tubes are very rare these days but were probably once very common when they were still being made. The fixtures are probably just as hard to find

1925-2002

108CAM

View Posts
View Gallery

UCG6Xojn8dNgDuN9J7_Gnj8w
Re: Once ubiquitous lamps, ballasts, and fixtures that are unobtainium nowadays « Reply #24 on: July 03, 2022, 08:44:04 PM » Author: 108CAM
Any lamp branded with the name of a now defunct company. I have an example of this in my collection. It's a standard 60w incandescent lamp made in Australia by ELMA but has been custom branded by McEwans which was a Melbourne based chain of hardware stores that was bought out by Bunnings in the 90's. The lamp is sadly burnt out but I've kept it due to rarity and the fact McEwans branded lamps have been out of production since the 90's and ELMA closed down in 2002, 23 years away from their 100th anniversary

1925-2002

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Once ubiquitous lamps, ballasts, and fixtures that are unobtainium nowadays « Reply #25 on: July 03, 2022, 09:57:14 PM » Author: joseph_125
Surprisingly, magnetic fluorescent ballasts. You used to be able to walk into Canadian Tire/Home Depot/Lowe's and get your pick of them but regulations and the unpopularity of magnetic, especially after LEDs became popular meant that ballast manufacturers stopped making them.   

You can still get them used but I don't see them at Restore as often anymore either so you have to jump through like ordering from eBay or having your luck with local sellers to get one.
108CAM

View Posts
View Gallery

UCG6Xojn8dNgDuN9J7_Gnj8w
Re: Once ubiquitous lamps, ballasts, and fixtures that are unobtainium nowadays « Reply #26 on: July 04, 2022, 07:33:17 PM » Author: 108CAM
Here in Australia, magnetic fluoro ballasts are very easy to find as Tridonic still manufacturers them at the former Atco factory in Melbourne. Their ballasts are very well made and are almost indestructible. It takes something pretty extreme to kill them.

1925-2002

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Once ubiquitous lamps, ballasts, and fixtures that are unobtainium nowadays « Reply #27 on: July 04, 2022, 09:12:45 PM » Author: joseph_125
There was a big push here starting in the mid 2000s to phase out magnetic ballasts in favour of electronic due to energy policy. Initially only the commercial style HPF T12 ballasts were affected such as F40T12, F96T12, and F96T12/HO but later as ballast manufacturers started to trim down their offerings in favour of electronic, the other lamp types followed. You can still buy new electronic ballasts for those lamp types but I don't think magnetic hasn't been made. I guess some of the smaller companies like Robertson might have some magnetic offerings but I don't think Advance or Universal still make magnetic fluorescent ballasts at all.

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Re: Once ubiquitous lamps, ballasts, and fixtures that are unobtainium nowadays « Reply #28 on: July 06, 2022, 01:41:07 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
As I have started to notice lots of high pressure sodium cobrahead lanterns getting replaced for LED lanterns in my areas of residence, I am starting to imagine that North American HID cobrahead lanterns will quickly become unobtainium in the 2030s. Because of this, I am beginning to wonder if there are any particular North American HID cobrahead lanterns made between the 1980s and the 2010s that are currently considered unobtainium in 2022 due to being discontinued and scrapped for mass LED conversions?

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

bulb_tester2009

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Once ubiquitous lamps, ballasts, and fixtures that are unobtainium nowadays « Reply #29 on: July 07, 2022, 10:59:56 PM » Author: bulb_tester2009
I think halophosphate  fluorescent lamps will become rare in China in the future.

Note:

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies