Author Topic: PHILIPS NVF 125  (Read 2637 times)
Olav

View Posts
View Gallery

Olav Kettner
PHILIPS NVF 125 « on: June 17, 2022, 06:53:27 PM » Author: Olav
My post with pictures here is for an oldie in the street lighting of France. A fixture that was introduced at the beginning of the 1950s. PHILIPS NVF 125.
For me a very big surprise and great pleasure that I discovered such oldies. They were still in operation in October 2021.
These fixtures were equipped with MV lamps 125W.
Page 67 of the PHILIPS catalog eclairage (F) shows the variants from 80W to 400W. There were two different sized fixtures.

Source: PHILIPS catalog eclairage, page 67, France 1965

The small version for 80W and 125W, the large version for 250W and 400W.  You can hardly find these fixtures anymore.

Regards

Olav
« Last Edit: October 06, 2022, 04:57:53 PM by Olav » Logged
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: PHILIPS NVF 125 « Reply #1 on: June 17, 2022, 08:20:43 PM » Author: Rommie
I think you should post those pictures in the gallery, Olav - some people might miss them here  :love:

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Michael

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: PHILIPS NVF 125 « Reply #2 on: June 18, 2022, 02:15:02 AM » Author: Michael
I had one barely used NVF 125 but I gave it away last year. The small village where I reside in the weekends had one installed till the mid 1990s. What I find interesting is that the reflector panels are movable and one can adjust the light distribution. Also the lamp socket is installed on a bracket which can be shifted and in the end the whole lantern is mounted on a rotule which allows the lantern to be inclined to the intended position.
Olav

View Posts
View Gallery

Olav Kettner
Re: PHILIPS NVF 125 « Reply #3 on: October 06, 2022, 04:56:32 PM » Author: Olav
A big and very nice surprise for me: the fixtures PHILIPS NVF 125 in Pont-Saint_Esprit (F) are still available and in operation in October 2022.
About 2/3 of the entire fixtures are still equipped with a MV lamp 125W, the remaining fixtures are equipped with "LED corn cobs".
In total, I saw almost twenty NVF 125 fixtures on four different side streets of the city.

Pont-Saint-Esprit (F), 04.10.2022

Michael

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: PHILIPS NVF 125 « Reply #4 on: October 07, 2022, 12:21:09 AM » Author: Michael
Good to see any still installed. As they get re-lamped with LEDs they will remain for longer time.
Olav

View Posts
View Gallery

Olav Kettner
Re: PHILIPS NVF 125 « Reply #5 on: October 07, 2022, 12:58:06 PM » Author: Olav
There is a photo (only taken with my smartphone) of the operation of the fixtures and two pages of "waste paper" from "REVUE PHILIPS lumière N°10" :

Source: REVUE PHILIPS lumière N° 10, page 19

Source: REVUE PHILIPS lumière N° 10, page 20
Max

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: PHILIPS NVF 125 « Reply #6 on: October 08, 2022, 05:16:29 AM » Author: Max
Nice posts, Olav. I do remember seeing those lanterns while growing up decades ago. There are very few of those left indeed, most of them were scrapped during the great sodium conversion of the 1990s, and very few found their ways in fancy bars and restaurants (I was pleasantly surprised to see that on two occasions). Of course, in the latter case the luminaires were converted to GLS - it would have been really nice if they had kept them original with mercury lamps, but that's too much light for a cosy interior lighting setup.

By the way, which year is the Revue Philips Lumière from which you pulled those two pages posted above? around the mid-1950s?
Olav

View Posts
View Gallery

Olav Kettner
Re: PHILIPS NVF 125 « Reply #7 on: October 08, 2022, 04:25:24 PM » Author: Olav
Hello Max, the magazine is from 1953.
Yes, sometimes you see the fixtures PHILIPS NVF 125 and NVF 250 as equipment in a loft or an offer for utopian prices.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2023, 04:39:59 PM by Olav » Logged
Max

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: PHILIPS NVF 125 « Reply #8 on: October 09, 2022, 05:48:48 AM » Author: Max
Thanks Olav, that magazine was published about three years after Philips introduced its second-gen HPL lamps. No wonder they mention those light sources are being new technology. By the way, until 1955 those HPLs were available in 80 and 125 W only, so it's likely that the NVF250 was released after the smaller NVF125.
AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich

Re: PHILIPS NVF 125 « Reply #9 on: October 09, 2022, 08:53:21 AM » Author: AngryHorse
That’s incredible their still there and working!  :D, these would suit a 125 watt MBFR  8)

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

"Beauty fades, dumb is forever".......Judge Judy :D

Max

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: PHILIPS NVF 125 « Reply #10 on: October 09, 2022, 09:39:26 AM » Author: Max
Things were built to last back then.
Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: PHILIPS NVF 125 « Reply #11 on: October 09, 2022, 12:58:41 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
Unlike today when they're built to fail and get replaced.  :curse:

Back then they were built to last, then when they did fail, they were repaired.  8)

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

Michael

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: PHILIPS NVF 125 « Reply #12 on: October 10, 2022, 12:06:29 AM » Author: Michael
And I had one well preserved NVF 125 which I got from an electrician in France in the vicinity of my weekend house.  ;)
The NVF 125 lantern also bears the designation NV 500 in the top mount piece which means that it was also available without gear for incandescent lamps up to 500W.
Olav

View Posts
View Gallery

Olav Kettner
PHILIPS NVF 125 « Reply #13 on: May 15, 2023, 04:20:10 PM » Author: Olav
There is an update for May 2023: all fixtures PHILIPS NVF 125 are still available in Pont-Saint-Esprit (F). 
A few fixtures still have MV lamps 125W, the remaining lights have replacement lamps. I think it's great that these oldies are still in use.

Pont-Saint-Esprit (F), 15.05.2023

Before today's visit to Saint-Esprit-Esprit, I was finally able to buy a PHILIPS NVF 125 fixture from a private seller at another location after years of searching and waiting. 
It has very few scratches and hardly any dents. The original capacitor is still present but no longer connected. It has probably been defective for a long time. The ballast for the MV lamp 125W is still quite new, probably installed as a replacement part.
I didn't expect to be so lucky again.

Lanas (F), 15.05.2023
Andy

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: PHILIPS NVF 125 « Reply #14 on: May 15, 2023, 05:36:11 PM » Author: Andy
Good to see that you got one of these fixtures Olav!

It’s great to know that such lights are still in service in 2023.
Looks like the weather is nice too.  :)

I'm always interested in exchanging lamps with others. Send me a message if you would be interested in a trade. :)

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies