Author Topic: Do you remember the first light you paid attention to?  (Read 3517 times)
AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: Do you remember the first light you paid attention to? « Reply #15 on: July 22, 2022, 02:22:42 PM » Author: AngryHorse
The GEC Europa 5 foot fluorescent batten in our kitchen at home! , as far as I can remember I always had an interest in electrical things, but at the age of 5 the fluorescent tube is a magical mystery to you when you just barely have a grasp of the workings of a tungsten lamp!  ;D
I’m so glad I saved it when my parents sold the house, so I will always have the first light fitting that took my interest with me!
« Last Edit: July 22, 2022, 02:25:56 PM by AngryHorse » Logged

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

AgentHalogen_87

View Posts
View Gallery

Long Live SOX!

Re: Do you remember the first light you paid attention to? « Reply #16 on: July 22, 2022, 02:46:51 PM » Author: AgentHalogen_87
Nice that you could save your first interest fitting :). I'm keeping a sharp eye on that traffic signal and my old school's last two Concourse lanterns (space for them or not :mrg:)
wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Do you remember the first light you paid attention to? « Reply #17 on: July 22, 2022, 05:42:52 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
I found an NOS Ovalite with Sylvania girder frame lamp on eBay a few months back

Is it still available ??

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

Burrito

View Posts
View Gallery

Shaded OVM

Re: Do you remember the first light you paid attention to? « Reply #18 on: July 22, 2022, 05:43:23 PM » Author: Burrito
No, it ended like a few months ago

ON LG FOR 2 YEARS! Please don't ask to meet up with me, as I am still living with my mother. Don't send me items either please, thank you!
LED street lights are bad. Some look good though. HID is better.
Please, watch out for the future. It's not looking good. Loves instruction manuals of any kind!

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Do you remember the first light you paid attention to? « Reply #19 on: July 22, 2022, 05:44:19 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
 As usual , I never saw it !!

Burrito

View Posts
View Gallery

Shaded OVM

Re: Do you remember the first light you paid attention to? « Reply #20 on: July 22, 2022, 05:45:26 PM » Author: Burrito
lol, I would have posted it, but there was already like 5 watchers on it, including me. That Sylvania rough service framed lamp was clear as well

ON LG FOR 2 YEARS! Please don't ask to meet up with me, as I am still living with my mother. Don't send me items either please, thank you!
Please, watch out for the future. It's not looking good. Loves instruction manuals of any kind!

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Do you remember the first light you paid attention to? « Reply #21 on: July 22, 2022, 05:47:58 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
Since it wasn't a photo of it here , I'd guess it wasn't a member who got it !

Burrito

View Posts
View Gallery

Shaded OVM

Re: Do you remember the first light you paid attention to? « Reply #22 on: July 22, 2022, 05:48:32 PM » Author: Burrito
No, No one had placed a bid on it

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Do you remember the first light you paid attention to? « Reply #23 on: July 22, 2022, 05:51:00 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
That sucks !! I'll have to keep an eye out in the future !

Burrito

View Posts
View Gallery

Shaded OVM

Re: Do you remember the first light you paid attention to? « Reply #24 on: July 22, 2022, 05:52:37 PM » Author: Burrito
The seller also stated it as used, it did look a bit used however, but it was so immaculate in condition, like the housing was still light gray and stuff, it had a square latch if i remember correctly

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Do you remember the first light you paid attention to? « Reply #25 on: July 22, 2022, 06:06:40 PM » Author: joseph_125
Did you save the pictures? I usually save the pictures of anything I find interesting on eBay for future reference.
108CAM

View Posts
View Gallery

Diehard MV, HPS, SOX & Preheat Fluorescent Fanatic

UCG6Xojn8dNgDuN9J7_Gnj8w
Re: Do you remember the first light you paid attention to? « Reply #26 on: July 22, 2022, 08:05:10 PM » Author: 108CAM
I've always been fascinated by fluorescent lights and absolutely watching the tubes blink during startup. I actually used to turn off the lights in places like waiting rooms (much to the dismay of the other people in the room) just so I could see the tubes blinking when I turned them back on.
I've been paying attention to street lights for as long as I can remember and always wondered why some were orange and some were white.
The first street light I really paid attention to was a 100w HPS Sylvania Urban installed right outside my house. I loved looking at the orange shadows while going to sleep and when the lamp started cycling, it then went dark for a while and then in 2019, a Sylvania Roadster was installed in place of the Urban.

Fluro starter pings combined with a 50hz ballast hum and blinking tubes is music to my ears.

Rest in Peace Electronic Lamp Manufacturers of Australia
1925-2002

Bring back the AJF Zodiacs!

Total incidents since joining LG: 17
Lamps accidently broken or smashed: 14
Ballast explosions/burnouts: 3

Molly

View Posts
View Gallery

The wild Lampent hates LEDs!

mollylovesreptiles UChSn_GuLy2eE43RAiEFyoEw mollylovesreptiles
Re: Do you remember the first light you paid attention to? « Reply #27 on: July 22, 2022, 08:39:46 PM » Author: Molly
The Cooper OVX 400w HPS (which has since been replaced) across from the train in Wakefield, MA. I always watched it start up when I was 5-6 years old when my dad got home from work in Boston.

Nice, one of my parents works in Boston!

If you want to use any of my photos, please ask me for permission, and make sure to add credit. Thank you! :love:

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Do you remember the first light you paid attention to? « Reply #28 on: July 24, 2022, 01:02:29 PM » Author: Cole D.
I can remember going to town one evening and seeing a green traffic light and thinking it looked like a lime. But I used to stare at the MV bucket light in the back yard a lot when I was a toddler.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

HomeBrewLamps

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: Do you remember the first light you paid attention to? « Reply #29 on: July 25, 2022, 02:37:09 AM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
Ironically it was indicator incandescents and LED's.

I vaguely recall asking my mother why LED's weren't in street lights. Little did I know they were gonna supplant everything else.

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies