Author Topic: Need advice on how to deal with mean members of this hobby  (Read 5753 times)
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Need advice on how to deal with mean members of this hobby « Reply #30 on: October 07, 2022, 04:29:25 PM » Author: Rommie
It was 13 until November last year when we decided 16 was a better age. It's not a retrospective change so if you were under 16 at the time you're ok.

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

BT25

View Posts
View Gallery

Vintage HID Collector

Re: Need advice on how to deal with mean members of this hobby « Reply #31 on: October 08, 2022, 12:38:53 AM » Author: BT25
FB is a mess because it's run by the 'look at me' crowd...envy, jealousy, and just plain stupid rule there...it's about getting attention, and the crazier the better. It's like the old saying that any publicity is good publicity.
My advice: FLUSH FARCEBOOK ASAP!...and have YOUR life back.

First known case of Westinghouse Lifeguard Disease! :lol:
If you can say yes to any of the following, you may have it too: :poof:
Can't resist buying more even if you already have an example in your collection? :lol:
Bank account shows unnecessary spending? ::)
Have an empty wallet?  :lol:

Econolite03

View Posts
View Gallery

Matthew E.

Re: Need advice on how to deal with mean members of this hobby « Reply #32 on: October 08, 2022, 02:07:11 AM » Author: Econolite03
Not to mention that Zuckerberg dude, he’s kinda weird.
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Need advice on how to deal with mean members of this hobby « Reply #33 on: October 08, 2022, 05:32:16 AM » Author: Rommie
If you want a laugh, run 'Zuckerberg' through a spell checker :mrg:

Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

BT25

View Posts
View Gallery

Vintage HID Collector

Re: Need advice on how to deal with mean members of this hobby « Reply #34 on: October 08, 2022, 09:19:15 AM » Author: BT25
Not to mention that Zuckerberg dude, he’s kinda weird.

Not only weird, but extremely arrogant, and downright   >:D.

First known case of Westinghouse Lifeguard Disease! :lol:
If you can say yes to any of the following, you may have it too: :poof:
Can't resist buying more even if you already have an example in your collection? :lol:
Bank account shows unnecessary spending? ::)
Have an empty wallet?  :lol:

takemorepills

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Need advice on how to deal with mean members of this hobby « Reply #35 on: October 08, 2022, 09:49:18 AM » Author: takemorepills
I'll add some advice that hasn't been given yet.

Grow thicker skin.

You can't let the thoughts and words of other people affect you. You shouldn't ask for moderators or others to step in to protect your feelings. Something to remember about jerks online, I guarantee that if you met them in real life, they probably wouldn't be so mean to you. The social separation and/or anonymity of social media allows the worst traits of people to be magnified. They would probably moderate themselves quite a bit more as being face-to-face generally causes people to dial back quite a bit. I strongly believe that society would benefit from social media being shut down.

I have raised my teenage son to be impervious to insults and mean spirited people, you literally can't shake him. What's the old saying...like water off a duck's back?

I am so pleased to see that most of us have a consensus about Facebook. Now, I hop Tik Tok can die next.
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Need advice on how to deal with mean members of this hobby « Reply #36 on: October 08, 2022, 10:13:53 AM » Author: Rommie
'Growing thicker skin' isn't an option for many of us. Autism and similar conditions, which many of us here suffer with, mean that just isn't possible. The old 'sticks and stones' saying is not only completely untrue for us, it's also very upsetting in itself.

I'm certainly better at dealing with things than I used to be, but I am by no means immune to what others say or do, and (with rare exceptions, such as psychopaths) I don't believe anyone else is either, including you and your son. Sooner or later, something or someone will upset you at some point in your life, it's part of what being human is.

Anyway, let's move on, shall we..? I think this topic is drawing to a close.

Take care, everyone, and keep safe  :-* :love:

marcopete87

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Need advice on how to deal with mean members of this hobby « Reply #37 on: October 09, 2022, 02:39:27 AM » Author: marcopete87
Like DOS with a missing floppy, you have 3 options:
Abort, Retry, Ignore.
I suggest ignore the bullies and report offending comments to moderator.
If they continue, you can abort and leave the toxic groups.
wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Need advice on how to deal with mean members of this hobby « Reply #38 on: October 09, 2022, 09:19:54 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
 Also try reporting directly to Facebook itself . Their TV commercials brag about their online safety protocols . So put them to the test !!

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Need advice on how to deal with mean members of this hobby « Reply #39 on: October 10, 2022, 05:37:52 AM » Author: Rommie
Not watched a TV commercial in years. We always record anything so we can fast-forward through them  ;D  :tv:

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Need advice on how to deal with mean members of this hobby « Reply #40 on: October 10, 2022, 05:05:07 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
 Off topic I know but sometimes the commercials are better than the program or movie !  :mrg:

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Need advice on how to deal with mean members of this hobby « Reply #41 on: October 10, 2022, 05:56:23 PM » Author: Rommie
Yeah, sometimes, this one is my favorite  :mrg:

108CAM

View Posts
View Gallery

Diehard MV, HPS, SOX & Preheat Fluorescent Fanatic

UCG6Xojn8dNgDuN9J7_Gnj8w
Re: Need advice on how to deal with mean members of this hobby « Reply #42 on: October 11, 2022, 07:15:40 PM » Author: 108CAM
If you ever feel uncomfortable about another member's actions on this site, you can always PM the admins.
When it comes to Facebook, I mostly use it for Marketplace and keeping in touch with family members and a few friends. I've also joined a couple of groups for my local area, all of which are very well moderated. The only lighting group I'm in is a fairly small group of other Australians who collect street lights and this group is also very well moderated.

I suggest that you leave the groups that are causing issues and only use Facebook for the reasons I stated above or if you're very worried, don't use it at all.

Fluro starter pings combined with a 50hz ballast hum and blinking tubes is music to my ears.

Rest in Peace Electronic Lamp Manufacturers of Australia
1925-2002

Bring back the AJF Zodiacs!

Total incidents since joining LG: 17
Lamps accidently broken or smashed: 14
Ballast explosions/burnouts: 3

TheLightingCollector

View Posts
View Gallery

UCuHQve8emnnL_d9oU44qklw
Re: Need advice on how to deal with mean members of this hobby « Reply #43 on: May 03, 2023, 02:54:55 PM » Author: TheLightingCollector
I left the American Streetlighting Enthusiasts Facebook group a while ago. The admin is extremely immature and should not be in charge or have any position of leadership. Facebook really needs to put an age limit on who can be administrators in groups. Children shouldn't be in charge of adults because they're not matured and this is the result. It needs to be like at least 25 years or older. Maybe even 30+. There are a number of know it alls in this hobby and they're one of them along with a list of others including people on this site. I'll agree about the younger generation. They spend all if not most of their time glued to a computer all day trying to compete and prove who knows more on these groups.

How are they immature? And in what way should they not be an admin? The group has multiple admins as well. Just curious as to what made you mention that.
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Need advice on how to deal with mean members of this hobby « Reply #44 on: May 04, 2023, 06:55:26 AM » Author: dor123
The level of children in knowledge and doing things, is way lower than adults.
For example: Here in Israel, there is a forum called "FXP". It is a very low quality forum, because most of its members are children.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies