Author Topic: American Electric discontinues the refractor version of the 115  (Read 2412 times)
Molly

View Posts
View Gallery

The wild Lampent hates LEDs!

mollylovesreptiles UChSn_GuLy2eE43RAiEFyoEw mollylovesreptiles
American Electric discontinues the refractor version of the 115 « on: October 24, 2022, 08:44:01 PM » Author: Molly
Sad to hear this. I hope the FCO version doesn't discontinue by 2023.

https://img.acuitybrands.com/public-assets/catalog/47934/d/rw-115-a.pdf?abl_version=10%2f18%2f2022+20:26:37&DOC_Type=SPEC_SHEET
« Last Edit: October 24, 2022, 08:47:53 PM by Molly » Logged

If you want to use any of my photos, please ask me for permission, and make sure to add credit. Thank you! :love:

Econolite03

View Posts
View Gallery

Matthew E.

Re: American Electric discontinues the refractor version of the 115 « Reply #1 on: October 25, 2022, 12:22:58 AM » Author: Econolite03
From a business standpoint, it makes sense unfortunately. Inflation, rising cost for material with declining orders, on top of that they had to switch to lower quality aftermarket ballasts. It was going to happen, and with the direction the economy and the lighting industry is going, they were probably forced to.
joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: American Electric discontinues the refractor version of the 115 « Reply #2 on: October 25, 2022, 01:56:20 AM » Author: joseph_125
I wonder if AEL was having trouble sourcing new glass refractors. I suppose the flat glass is a lot simpler to make.
Molly

View Posts
View Gallery

The wild Lampent hates LEDs!

mollylovesreptiles UChSn_GuLy2eE43RAiEFyoEw mollylovesreptiles
Re: American Electric discontinues the refractor version of the 115 « Reply #3 on: October 25, 2022, 08:14:02 AM » Author: Molly
I thought so too.

If you want to use any of my photos, please ask me for permission, and make sure to add credit. Thank you! :love:

70HPS

View Posts
View Gallery

sodium lamp

Re: American Electric discontinues the refractor version of the 115 « Reply #4 on: October 25, 2022, 06:50:48 PM » Author: 70HPS
 :'( This is sad. The 115 is pretty much the only decent HID cobrahead offered today.

I like HID, CFLs and incandescents :hps: :cflhd: :a19incan:

Favorite indoor light source: PL Fluorescent (Preferably preheat, maybe rapid start, maybe instant start but instant start is boring)
Favorite outdoor light source: High Pressure Sodium (MV maybe, but HPS is relaxing)

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: American Electric discontinues the refractor version of the 115 « Reply #5 on: October 26, 2022, 10:22:58 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
 I think it's more of a "Dark Sky" thing as the listing includes the acrylic and polycarbonate refractor versions . As for reliability , ODOT recently redid the I-71/SR 104 interchange and installed 8-10 200w FCO 115's a few years ago . More than  half have already been replaced due to failures . https://goo.gl/maps/7wmdteupFsVxufJP7  Look back to around 2019 at all of the shiny 115 FCOs that are now replaced with Cooper OVZs & AEL 125s .
« Last Edit: October 26, 2022, 10:32:01 PM by wide-lite 1000 » Logged

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

Burrito

View Posts
View Gallery

No.

Re: American Electric discontinues the refractor version of the 115 « Reply #6 on: October 26, 2022, 10:45:40 PM » Author: Burrito
I thought the OVZ was also a poor quality fixture too?

ON LG FOR 2 YEARS! Please don't ask to meet up with me, as I am still living with my mother. Don't send me items either please, thank you!
LED street lights are bad. Some look good though. HID is better.
Please, watch out for the future. It's not looking good. Loves instruction manuals of any kind!

Econolite03

View Posts
View Gallery

Matthew E.

Re: American Electric discontinues the refractor version of the 115 « Reply #7 on: October 27, 2022, 12:18:46 AM » Author: Econolite03
Cooper products from my understanding have been kinda junk for years. Cheap powder-coating that flakes off, questionable ballast components, and flimsy housing castings. They’re not solid fixtures. The OVZs look alright, but unfortunately carry some of those issues.
LightsoftheWest

View Posts
View Gallery

SRP for life.

streetlightian
Re: American Electric discontinues the refractor version of the 115 « Reply #8 on: October 27, 2022, 12:23:06 AM » Author: LightsoftheWest
Fully agreed, Matt. I'd rather have an LED street light than a Cooper HID street light.

LG's #1 North American light fixture identifier

Econolite03

View Posts
View Gallery

Matthew E.

Re: American Electric discontinues the refractor version of the 115 « Reply #9 on: October 27, 2022, 02:59:04 AM » Author: Econolite03
I’d rather have a Current ERL1 over a Cooper OVH.
wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: American Electric discontinues the refractor version of the 115 « Reply #10 on: October 27, 2022, 11:10:42 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
Around here anyways , the 125's seem decent . I've never really been a fan of Cooper products . I like the OVM's. (I have a 400w MV version . The only other Cooper stuff I have is a NOS NYC spec 150w HPS/PSMH OVZ and a couple of MV OVX's that were given to me .

Burrito

View Posts
View Gallery

No.

Re: American Electric discontinues the refractor version of the 115 « Reply #11 on: October 27, 2022, 11:23:45 PM » Author: Burrito
I've got s Cooper Super Smokey or similar model but it was converted to 70 watt HPS

ON LG FOR 2 YEARS! Please don't ask to meet up with me, as I am still living with my mother. Don't send me items either please, thank you!
LED street lights are bad. Some look good though. HID is better.
Please, watch out for the future. It's not looking good. Loves instruction manuals of any kind!

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: American Electric discontinues the refractor version of the 115 « Reply #12 on: October 27, 2022, 11:27:55 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
The guy I got the OVX's from had several but I only took a couple as they were free and MV ! Had they been anything else , I'da passed .
« Last Edit: October 30, 2022, 12:05:17 PM by wide-lite 1000 » Logged

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: American Electric discontinues the refractor version of the 115 « Reply #13 on: October 28, 2022, 01:01:38 AM » Author: joseph_125
I can't say for how well they hold up in the field as all my Cooper cobraheads were acquired NOS but I did find the castings on my NYC OVZ and OVF to be rather thin, even compared to contemporary cobraheads such as my 125 and M-250R2. 
xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: American Electric discontinues the refractor version of the 115 « Reply #14 on: October 30, 2022, 10:57:28 AM » Author: xmaslightguy
I'm honestly surprised that any manufacturer would still be making anything HID these days.
Fact is with LED the way it is, HID in general is dead.

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies